Help choosing a 70 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I'm lucky... George Kahler Sales is 8 miles from my doorstep... He sells Husky AND Stihl and has treated me super of the last several years! They used to sell Johnny-Red too. I asked them last time I was in there why they dropped the Johhny's and was told mainly it was a corporate thing coupled with the fact that the red-heads don't sell as well as the cream-sicles and punkins around here. Shame really.. :(

First saw I ever ran was my Dad's Johnny-Red 455 he bought new in about 1986-ish. I was 11 years old. Still have a soft spot for that old firewood saw, to this day it still runs like new :)

I'm going to look at a 044 Saturday. The seller sent me a video and the saw doesn't look too bad. It started easily but hesitated initially when he gave it some throttle. He didn't make any cuts with it unfortunately. I'm hoping it just needs a carb adjustment and doesn't have any serious issues. Is there anything specific to the 044 I should look out for?

They are generally great saws, but like any used saw chk the compression and you may want to pull the muff cover and look at the piston to make sure it looks good. An informal way to ck compression is lift the saw up and hold it by the recoil rope and let it fall. The compression cycles should momentarily stop the saw. (I stole this method of checking from Brian). If it falls too fast, walk or get a discount.

With a low restriction air filter (like the HD-2) and a dp muff cover, they are one of the strongest running non ported 70 cc saws out there.

Regarding the factory wts that were previously posted, factory saw wts are generally garbage, don't go by them.

Hope that 044 works out for you, but if not good luck finding a 70 cc in good condition. They are all pretty darn good.

I looked at a 044 today that I had found near me on craigslist. The muffler was on the rusty side, but the it otherwise looked good cosmetically. They seller didn't want to take the muffler off but he did have some logs I could make some cuts in. The chain was so dull I'm not sure I would buy a saw from anyone who would let one get that dull, but I still wanted to see how it ran. It started and idled ok, but as soon as I gave it throttle it stalled. When I did get it in a log it was running so lean that it I was afraid to make more than a couple cuts with it. It was so bad that it didn't have much power and I could easily get it from overrevving to bogging down. I told the guy I couldn't even make him an offer. The seller didn't seem to have much knowledge of saws and acted evasive when I asked questions. He was pissed off when I told him I wasn't interested.

I did like the light weight and ergonomics of the saw though.

made a good choice in walking away from that one IMO. some uneducated people dont want to pull the muffler for fear of messing up the saw others dont want the muffler pulled because of what you will find. i have also found some sellers play dumb when they know something is wrong with what they are selling

OP, if you haven't found a saw yet and are willing to settle for a Stihl, I have some in the range you're looking for. ie, 044 (10 or 12mm), MS460, MS660, etc. PM me for more info if desired.

If you have a chance to go to a GTG or some other situation where you can actually run some saws, I think it would be very helpful. For the same reason that some like the Huskys, I don't. Saws feel different to different people and it basically comes down to personal preferences.

Any brand makes reliable saws in that size range so it's basically a personal decision, not that one is "better" than the others.

you can't go wrong with a 044/ms440 except if you pay too much for a junker!!

the 371-372 and its jonesred brothers are excellent saws as well. parts are a plenty, easy to work on and plenty of power.

you will like the 372!!!

I never trust published weights. Not only are they often wrong, but they often change them on the mfg sites!

I believe the 044/440 and 372 are about the lightest 70 cc saws out there, and that they are both about 14 lbs (power head only).

I want to see a 7900 power head on the scale under 14 lbs, I don't believe it.

Latest posts

Back