Help! One saw to fit my needs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This^^^ a homeowner doesn't need a pro 4-5 cube saw, period. Will it be faster in big wood? of course it will, so what. Buy the saw which meets to the cutting conditions you will see the most often. MS260 or 50cc saws are awesome in MOST situations you will encounter, [occasional brush clearing, firewood chores, falling the occasional tree to 20inch DBH]

We do pre-commercial thinning/timber-stand improvement where we literally fall hundreds of 6-12 inch diameter DBH trees per man day. The fastest combo we have found is a 50cc saw and a razor sharp .325 chain. A bigger saw slows you down do to weight/bulk, a smaller saw has negligible weight savings and is underpowered.
Well i will agree that a smaller saw is easier to manuever and handle. I'm just a firewooder and very few oaks i cut are 12 inch. Most 24 to 30ish accross. And some bigger. I also can prove that with a few threads i have started here before. So a bigger saw is what i need, not a homeowner stihl. Untill you know what kind and size of trees a homeowner cuts, you can't say they don't need a pro saw. and whats up with being a member since 2006 and only having 34 post?:confused:

Well i will agree that a smaller saw is easier to manuever and handle. I'm just a firewooder and very few oaks i cut are 12 inch. Most 24 to 30ish accross. And some bigger. I also can prove that with a few threads i have started here before. So a bigger saw is what i need, not a homeowner stihl. Untill you know what kind and size of trees a homeowner cuts, you can't say they don't need a pro saw. and whats up with being a member since 2006 and only having 34 post?:confused:

He's been googling stuff and writing down smart answers, since he has no actual experience.
Show him the lipstick saw, that'll fix him :)

So if the OP needs 80cc's to cut a few pine trees, is there a big enough saw made to cut 48" hardwood? I sometimes get stuff this big from a tree service and was wondering if I should try to cut them or if my attempts would be futile ending in embarrassment and shame.

And how many saws would I need? Is 38 enough?

yep, one of these.

Photo0697_zps2cefaf15.jpg

The little saw in the back is 94cc's with a 32 inch bar, I mean blade.

Last edited:
Question....

According to RUSHNBOBO only professionals can run professional saws.

I still do a little falling now and then so I guess it's okay to use a professional saw on those days.

But what about the days when I go out to cut firewood for myself or do some volunteer trail work? I'm just an amateur then. Should I run out and buy some small saws? And do I still conduct myself as a professional while doing amateur work or would that be inappropriate?

I'm all conflicted now. :msp_rolleyes:

I still do a little falling now and then so I guess it's okay to use a professional saw on those days.

But what about the days when I go out to cut firewood for myself or do some volunteer trail work? I'm just an amateur then. Should I run out and buy some small saws? And do I still conduct myself as a professional while doing amateur work or would that be inappropriate?

since I am a professional driver , you should probably take the bus to do your firewood cutting.:msp_razz:

It all depends, are you part of a pre-commercial thinning operation that cuts hundreds of 6" trees down in a day? If you are, please regal us with the amazing tales of how you have tried every combination of variables and have come to the simply earth shattering conclusion that sharp chain is a good idea. :dizzy:

It all depends, are you part of a pre-commercial thinning operation that cuts hundreds of 6" trees down in a day? If you are, please regal us with the amazing tales of how you have tried every combination of variables and have come to the simply earth shattering conclusion that sharp chain is a good idea. :dizzy:

Do you have to be a professional to have sharp chain? Or is it safe for a homeowner such as myself to sharpen a chain? Or do I need it professionally sharpened?

Would you like me to quote random facts on topics which I know nothing about?

Latest posts

Back