Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a video of a Homelite Super XL that I got running for a friend. Replaced the flywheel, added a chip, installed a manual oilier, put on a falling spike, and tuned it up. I did sharpen the POS safety chain he had on it but it didn't last long so I will throw a good chain on it for him. All in a days work.

[video=youtube;Z3AaxT4Z9os]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3AaxT4Z9os[/video]

Randy, I know it's not six cube but....does it get any better than a 5.4 cube yellow Homie?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SmO8SxRuGRA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SmO8SxRuGRA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Was at work looking for parts...figured I would put a picture.

My dad can't remember if this is an XL or XL 400. He used to work at a repair shop and they swapped alot of things around. So the case may be wrong for the motor, he added electronic ignition to it as well back in the late 70's, maybe early 80's. He has rebuilt it at least once if not twice. It was the only firewood saw for him for about 30yrs

He gave it to me when he got a newer saw. I took off the carb and can see the scoring on the piston and it is hard to turn over.

18766_605309044061_40005835_34924480_2464993_n.jpg

Randy, I know it's not six cube but....does it get any better than a 5.4 cube yellow Homie?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SmO8SxRuGRA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SmO8SxRuGRA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Looks good in yellow.

Tonight I finally took a look at the C-51 that was dropped off to me a while back.

The starter would not catch very well. I took the cover off and it is the style that uses the over running clutch method. Two outer races with the one way clutch/sprag in the center.

I cleaned out the cover and used brake clean to spray and blow out the clutch area and then lightly greased it and reinstalled the cover and it seems to grab every time now. Is a light coating of grease OK on this set up?

The pull cord is very short and needs to be replaced. Is it possible to replace it without taking the recoil out? It kind of looked like it could be done without unbolting the cord retaining wheel?

Also noticed a red box under the cover that shows atom computer "Australia"? does this mean they upgraded the ignition? I have yet to get into any of this type set up so I am curious if this means the it has been upgraded.

Went out to buck a big red oak for a guy yesterday, and had to use the ol reliable S1050A cause I rolled some cutters on the 394 on the first cut :( The S1050 will haul chips all day long as long as your man enough to handle it! But I also forgot my ear muffs, and regretted it 3 hours later.

Whats Orange and red.

Well here is some fresh Sawing action. Turn out was low do to very windy weather and rain, but the beer was cold and the food hot.

I brought a pair of S 1130 G and a super wiz with a two man bar. (and a pair of 150's) I had nothing to cut against with 150's so they stayed in the car until the end.

I need to file/ Grind a bit different as the cants were popple and soft maple. That 1/2 pitch chain can really grab a handful of wood.

Gear drive Winner chewed through the larger cant in about 6:34. runner up was a pretty mad david bradley. I think the loudest saw was a tie between the super 66 and the DB. There was one hot saw with a pipe and he was out motored by a makita. A lot of fun and a much needed day out. (before you t off about the PPE there is plenty available and the operator has the choice to wear it or not)

Good day.
Mike

A friend of mine has two very nice condition SUPER XL autos (red) The exteriors look to be in nice shape, hardly used. I asked him about selling them and he said make an offer. I think he said one locked up and then would turn over. Not sure on the cylinder. Both saws have all thier paint on them and have been well cared for as the exterior goes and look darn nice.

What would be a fair offer to him on these? I threw out $50 but said we could talk about it later. Saw him passing by and had to leave.

Last edited:
Tonight I finally took a look at the C-51 that was dropped off to me a while back.

The starter would not catch very well. I took the cover off and it is the style that uses the over running clutch method. Two outer races with the one way clutch/sprag in the center.

I cleaned out the cover and used brake clean to spray and blow out the clutch area and then lightly greased it and reinstalled the cover and it seems to grab every time now. Is a light coating of grease OK on this set up?

The pull cord is very short and needs to be replaced. Is it possible to replace it without taking the recoil out? It kind of looked like it could be done without unbolting the cord retaining wheel?

Also noticed a red box under the cover that shows atom computer "Australia"? does this mean they upgraded the ignition? I have yet to get into any of this type set up so I am curious if this means the it has been upgraded.

I usually just go with a touch of light oil in that overrunning bearing setup. Sounds like you got it working though. The main thing is cleaning it out like you did every once in a while.

The Atom module is a common replacement for points in old saws. They have been sold under several brands, by several firms.

You can change the rope pretty easily.

-Cut the knot from the old rope (at the center of the pulley) and pull it out. Cut your new rope to length and melt the ends.

-Tie a knot in one end and thread it through the hole near the center of the pulley. Turn the pulley against spring tension until the hole (and the rope) is nearest the rope outlet passage on the starter.

-Work the rope out through the grove to the outside of the pulley, and pull it out until the knot is seated.

-Wind the rope onto the pulley, using the clearance notch in the edge of the pully to allow you to turn the pulley as needed without the rope binding against the starter housing. There's more than one way to do that I'm sure.

-I like to turn the pulley against spring tension as far as I can without straining or slipping (holding the rope tight up in the 'clearance notch' of the pulley to keep the rope from binding against the housing). That's usually one turn plus the extra bit needed to get the notch back to the possition near the rope outlet in the housing. I then move the rope out of the notch and rotate the pulley back out of tension, winding the rope onto it in the process. Once the tension's gone, I repeat the process. Usually only has to be repeated once to get the rope wound completely on, depending on how much I feel like fighting the spring.

-When the rope is wound all the way on the pulley (minus a few inches), I'll put it in the notch again and ease off tension until it's gone (or almost gone) and the rope is again alligned with the outlet in the housing. I'll snug the rope firmly in the notch and wind the pulley a turn or two against tension and thread the rope through the outet (while holding the pully still). Give 'er a test tug. You want enough tension to wind it all the way in and hold the handle against the housing, but not much more. The spring will live longer that way. Tread the rope through the handle and tie the not.

There you go. I could much more easilly show you how I wind these ropes in. Using text is much more cumbersome.

As an alternative, you can also get all of the tension out of the spring, CAREFULLY remove the pulley without pulling the spring out "SPROING!!!!", winding the rope in by hand, reinstalling the pulley (get the spring tab to engage), then using the clearance notch to allow you to wind in a turn or two of tension. I've used both methods. Many times I replace the rope at the same time that I clean all the crap out from behind the pulley.

If you do "sproing" the spring, you'll need to carefully wind it back into the housing, winding from the outside in. It sucks and your hands will be cramped. Take your time, and rest during the process if you can. If the spring's completely out of the housing, then you might as well wipe it clean before fighting it back in....

A friend of mine has two very nice condition SUPER XL autos (red) The exteriors look to be in nice shape, hardly used. I asked him about selling them and he said make an offer. I think he said one locked up and then would turn over. Not sure on the cylinder. Both saws have all thier paint on them and have been well cared for as the exterior goes and look darn nice.

What would be a fair offer to him on these? I threw out $50 but said we could talk about it later. Saw him passing by and had to leave.

$50 is fair so long as the one of the saws has a good P/C. Pull the muffler covers and check. The 'locked' saw could have something else holding it up besides a bad P/C, such as crap (metal filings, screws, etc) binding the flywheel against the coil. You never know until you check...

Last edited:
I cut a tree down a couple of weeks ago across the street from me and the guy was stumping it today. Walked ove rand talked to him and asked if he had any old chainsaws laying around. He said yeah about ten or so:msp_scared:

So I went over to his house and he had Super EZ complete and one without bar, E-Z113, Three or four super XLs, XL-12, some type of sear gear drive white in color no model said ez start on the cover and a Bob Cat chainsaw which I did not see yet as he had it in the attic. Also some type of larger C-5 type looking saw the was red and in box compeltely apart looked like maybe 1050 on the cover?

I said when he was ready to get rid of the I would be interested and it was left at that. Time will tell on what happens with this. He lives one block away from me as a bird flys.

Here are the two Xls. I have not pulled mufflers yet. They both feel light on compression

meet012.jpg

meet011.jpg

meet010.jpg

meet009.jpg

Well here is some fresh Sawing action. Turn out was low do to very windy weather and rain, but the beer was cold and the food hot.

I brought a pair of S 1130 G and a super wiz with a two man bar. (and a pair of 150's) I had nothing to cut against with 150's so they stayed in the car until the end.

I need to file/ Grind a bit different as the cants were popple and soft maple. That 1/2 pitch chain can really grab a handful of wood.

Gear drive Winner chewed through the larger cant in about 6:34. runner up was a pretty mad david bradley. I think the loudest saw was a tie between the super 66 and the DB. There was one hot saw with a pipe and he was out motored by a makita. A lot of fun and a much needed day out. (before you t off about the PPE there is plenty available and the operator has the choice to wear it or not)

Good day.
Mike

Nice looking Super 1130G, There a strong running saw.
Looks like you guys had fun.

Enjoy Lee

Both have scored pistons. Spark and everything else perfect as far as I can tell:msp_mad:

That figures. Many of these saws were the victoms of rubes tuning them too lean, not keeping the cylinder fins clear, cutting with dull chains, and not servicing the air filters. I got three of these saws free from a guy that answered my CL ad a while ago. All three had smoked P/C's due to that type of abuse. The old guy told me he had replaced them with Stihls because "those old Homelites are so damn hard to start". Of course they're hard to start if the P/C's are roached....

One is an SXL-AO like the one you pictured, and the other is a really nice looking red/black XL12. I also got a 24" Windsor Speed tip, a 20" hard nose, and a 20" roller nose with them. Good used P/C sets aren't too hard to find. New gaskets are everywhere. NOS pistons and cylinders are easy to find, but are getting kind of expensive.

Those two saws of yours look like a mid-late '80s Super XL-Automatic and an early '90s "Big Red" Super XL-Automatic. The Big Red (and the "Ol Blue") were Homelite's attempt at getting some 'nostalgia' sales at the very end of the life of the XL12/SXL series. Notice how the red is a different shade than that on the SXL-AO. The blue used on the 'Ol Blue saws is different than what was used on the early XL12's too.

Your Big Red probably has a Zama carb, and the other saw may as well. Both have the late style all plastic manual oiler plunger. See if you can track down a couple of good used P/C sets, or get some ugly parts saw P/C donors cheap. Those two are both good lookers, and are worth putting a bit of effort into getting them going.

Last edited:
One saw is scored worse than the other. I am going to try and put them back in service. Since I do not need them I can take my time in getting parts. I am hoping the lesser scored one maybe the cylinder can be saved. Also the guy a block away from me had at least three or four of the Super XLs in his garage so there might be parts there to be had. I see new piston on feebay and rings $42 ouch:msp_unsure:

Latest posts

Back