Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello friends, I'm needing a couple of Homelite 450 parts. I need a transformer receptacle and a choke rod. I posted this in the swap meet thread as well, but thought you Homelite gurus may have some spare parts. :msp_wink:

How do I check spark on a homelite 450???

We used the transformer and receptacle from a 360. We got no fire. Any way to test the module???

How do I check spark on a homelite 450???

We used the transformer and receptacle from a 360. We got no fire. Any way to test the module???

Don't know about testing standalone, but here's an old thread that shows how you can check spark of the system.
360 spark test

About the only way I know is Easter egging the parts. There's also a neon lamp method, but I've yet to try that one.

Dan

most of the time I end up grabbing the wires and pulling the rope.:msp_scared: Of course most of them have fuel issues not spark issues.

I recently acquired an xl-800 off of craigslist for $20. It's complete, had good compression, bar and chain, but no spark. I replaced the points and coil with the coil from a homelite xl-98 concrete saw and got good spark now, but it still won't start. Picked up a carb kit today, but got to thinking about the compatibility of those ignition parts. Is the timing of the spark still correct now that the saw has no points? To mount the xl-98 coil in the xl-800, I had to use the xl-98 mounting bracket, (crank seal and all) and all the screw holes matched perfectly, so I was hoping that timing wouldn't be affected. Do I also need to change the flywheel?

Do I need to do anything differently regarding the ignition, or should I just go ahead and rebuild the carb and try it again?
Thank You.

Thanks for the replies men. I'll get into it more tomorrow. Yeah we primed it, with nearly 200psi not a pop. I'm sure it doesn't have spark. I was hoping someone knew how to test the module.

most of the time I end up grabbing the wires and pulling the rope.:msp_scared: Of course most of them have fuel issues not spark issues.
Yours too ? LOL
I try to have my daughter or wife hold it, but they will only do it the one time. LOL

Thanks for the replies men. I'll get into it more tomorrow. Yeah we primed it, with nearly 200psi not a pop. I'm sure it doesn't have spark. I was hoping someone knew how to test the module.

Wish I could help, I had a 360 and just didn't care for the design, so I got rid of it before I could work on it.

My first Homelite: an xl76

Heard lots of the old guys around here swearing by this model so I jumped all over this one, when i saw this baby for $35. I just had to know what they were yapping about...
Lots of cleaning (actually the easiest one yet to cleanup) and I found this little gem inside...
Cuts pretty good too! Auto oiler works but no manual yet
No muffler mod needed for this guy!
Paul
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Got a model 240 for another 10.

attachment.php
What do I need to get the chain brake working, the IPLs I found are pretty course looking, no detail to see the linkage. A pic of a good one would help.. Think something is broke and or missing
Paul

Nice XL-76 Paul - she looks really clean, almost like new apart from a little scuffing on the clutch cover. The manual oiler should be an easy fix - often the auto side of things packs it in first.

I can't help you with an IPL for the 240, but I'm sure someone on here will chime in with one for you shortly.

Enjoy your little Homies - they are some of the best saws ever built.

Regards,

Chris.

Heard lots of the old guys around here swearing by this model so I jumped all over this one, when i saw this baby for $35. I just had to know what they were yapping about...
Lots of cleaning (actually the easiest one yet to cleanup) and I found this little gem inside...
Paul
attachment.php

Got a model 240 for another 10.

attachment.php
What do I need to get the chain brake working, the IPLs I found are pretty course looking, no detail to see the linkage. A pic of a good one would help.. Think something is broke and or missing
Paul

Sent you a PM with a link for a manual for that 240.

Nice looking saw btw! :rock:

Paul
Paul

Thats a nice looking xl76. They are somewhat rare already and to find a nice one like that is a bonus! Rep sent!

Sent you a PM with a link for a manual for that 240.

Nice looking saw btw! :rock:

Your becoming a great asset to the Homelite World! I would rep you again if I could! Im sure someone will though!

A few posts ago there was a discussion regarding the designation of the 9-23, 9-26, 900G/D, 909G/D, 990G/D, 995G/D saws. This old dealer manual could provide the answer!

Would be good to see what saws are indeed contained in the '900-series' section. This document came straight from Homelite, so the answer would be gospel for me!
Regards,
Chris.

Chris,
They are the same saws, 9-23 was a direct drive and the 9-26 was the gear drive version. The were replaced by the 900d/g and then the 909, 990 and 995 in that order. The parts are pretty much the same across the lot, meaning anything from the 9-23 fits the 995 with exception of a couple things. I'll have to look again but pretty sure when I looked they were separated in almost every case by a year or two. 9-23/9-26 was only produced 1 or 2 years and then the 900 came out with a slight change and so forth, seem that new development forced the change and as they updated the saw released a new version.

The manuals sections are pretty much just IPLs but there are a couple maintenance sections and just general info for Homelite's, nothing breath taking or a break through in repair. The funniest part is the depiction of people, they used a chainsaw with hands and feet, the bar was the body and the power head was the head. They gave them a face also.:cheers:

That 900 that sold recently has the older muffler on it, same muffler the 9-23/9-26 had.

Regards,

xl76, 240

Thanks guys, it is in very good condition. Was surprised when I got it de junked, wish I had a before pic...I let you all know how it runs with a new chain and in some bigger wood, only pine so far.

Deprime big public thanks for the manuals. Now I know I need to invest in high speed when it gets out my way. I can see from your ipl that the band is broken short and really just need a new band,9545(8)42?

Paul

Regarding the 900 series, there's an IPL that contains all models from the 9-23/26 through the 995D/G. It has columns to denote parts where they're different between models and a ton of notes in the end to describe the differences. Its great for seeing what's different between the models, but its nicer to have the single model IPL when you're actually part hunting.

Dan

Latest posts

Back