How's the saw bussiness Going.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saws have nothing to do with needs - nice tools are always nice - LOL....:givebeer:

I agree wholeheartedly that a nice tool is worth it's weight in gold. My own tools are mostly Snap-On, Mac, Milwaukee or similar. The problem is that in small town USA most people work hard for their money and can't afford a $700 saw. Especially with the price of everything else skyrocketing.

Saw sales are pretty much through the roof. Everyone is cutting wood around here. Selling less 250's and more 280's 290's and 310's than before and about double the amount of 361's. Around here's the price break is around 400$, so we sell a lot of 290's and 310's. Most of our customers are making the first step from owning a Poulan/Sears/Junk saw into a premium brand, so jumping from a 200$ into a 600$ saw is a hard pill to swallow but 350-450$ is more within range. Yes we all know that pro saws are all around better but try getting a guy to spend 600$ for a 361 instead of 450$ for a 310 is a very hard sell.
Most of the people that are buying 361's have owned a Stihl or other premium brand are moving up, a lot of 290's being traded for 361's since the begining of the year. Stihl needs a decent saw around 3.8-4.2hp and about 500$, and the 390 is not it. The only saw from 500-600$ is the MS260 Pro. This year we're looking at a 30-50% increase in saw sales.

Last edited:
I've already sold more saws so far this year than all of last year. And the curve is still trending up. The driving force is primarily the firewood deal. Good hardwood is very plentiful in my area; all you have to do is cut it down. So lot's of saws for the do it yourself guys.

Firewood sellers are also going bonkers trying to keep up with orders, so they too have not been shy about new saws. And they're buying big stuff.

Repairs are also way up. Lot's of saws that have been sitting idle for a few years are goin back to work. Most are contemporary models, but there are a few oldies also.

A note to Husky and Jonsered dealers: Sweden has their annual plant shutdown/vacation for 3 weeks in July. There are already some spot shortages with the increased demand, so it's not a bad idea to load the gun a little bit more than usual to avoid running out of the hot models in late August and early September.

Got a pallet of 372's coming tomorrow. Will it be my last? Again? For real this time? No foolin? (I think it's true this time )

Last edited:
I've already sold more saws so far this year than all of last year. And the curve is still trending up. The driving force is primarily the firewood deal. Good hardwood is very plentiful in my area; all you have to do is cut it down. So lot's of saws for the do it yourself guys.

Firewood sellers are also going bonkers trying to keep up with orders, so they too have not been shy about new saws. And they're buying big stuff.

Repairs are also way up. Lot's of saws that have been sitting idle for a few years are goin back to work. Most are contemporary models, but there are a few oldies also.

A note to Husky and Jonsered dealers: Sweden has their annual plant shutdown/vacation for 3 weeks in July. There are already some spot shortages with the increased demand, so it's not a bad idea to load the gun a little bit more than usual to avoid running out of the hot models in late August and early September.

Got a pallet of 372's coming tomorrow. Will it be my last? Again? For real this time? No foolin? (I think it's true this time )

So many idle saws are being put back into service that I'm having to ask when was the last time this saw was run? when they bring them in for repairs. People are buying a 2nd and 3rd saw more frequently now. Before they would own one main saw, now they are buying limbing saws and adding a bigger saw to compliment they're 250/270/290. And I guess one positive side effect of Ax Men is people are buying more protective apparel than before. I guess you can be a man and also be safe now.

Who in this earth needs or has to for that matter purchas 20 + saws a year?

Well, a serial saw killer has his impulses................

The MS290 is one cute saw. in the right light.................

And I just cannot help myself.......................................

I make the dealer put a pretty pink ribbon around the intake boot, and I just

lose it.................................................

their parts are sent all over the world...................................................

I know it is sick, but I cannot help it........................................

I was abused as a child............... That is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it was self-inflicted..............................

Outdoor wood stove sales are up too. Heatmor dealer carried 1 stove over from last winter. Recently sold it, ordered 4 more, gone already. More on order.

Ed

Sales are up,up, up! Everything firewood related!! Personally I've dropped ~ $1600 on a new saw and splitter. I expect to ROI in well under 8 months. :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

So many idle saws are being put back into service that I'm having to ask when was the last time this saw was run? when they bring them in for repairs. People are buying a 2nd and 3rd saw more frequently now. Before they would own one main saw, now they are buying limbing saws and adding a bigger saw to compliment they're 250/270/290. And I guess one positive side effect of Ax Men is people are buying more protective apparel than before. I guess you can be a man and also be safe now.

We went though a boom last year after the big Dec 2006 windstorm. Sold saws all year (no 2006/7 winter or 2007 summer slowdown) and fixed more 10-25 year old saws than I though exisited? This year? very quiet... maybe 30% off last year.... We have seen a surge in "been sitting for 10 years" saws though...

We have had a hard time keeping up with demand, especially now with the severe outbreak of fires here in Northern California. Fire crews from LA have been stopping by the Woodland warehouse and taking everything we can get our hands on. Many of the large landowners are taking matters into their own hands and hiring private crews to fight fires because CDF and the Forest Service can't even get to the more than 1,000 separate fires burning. It's only June, and things look like August around here.

I have often wandered never been there probably never will
but is there any land not scorched out there? It always seems
to be burning out there:laugh:

Sure enough - even if the 576xp finally makes it,.......:givebeer:

It will, it will! Just got the new fall program today, and the 576 is listed. Has a nice picture showing the new 346 style starter and colors. The specs, (I know you would ask), are 73.5cc, 5.8hp, 14.5 lbs.

Of even more interest is the "NEW supercharged 460 Rancher". Can't wait to hear how they will explain that one.

Latest posts

Back