Husky 261 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been lurking around here for almost a year now. Learned a lot. Thanks for all the information.

I've been cutting wood for more than 40 years. Logged professionally in the 70s, but just doing firewood now 'cause of my back. I've muffler modded just about all my saws and I'm about ready to start woods porting them. I have a converted Husky 261 with a 262 Bailey's p/c. I put a 3 shoe clutch on it. Carb's been adjusted, but it has the original muffler. I can't figure out how to mod it. Do you think I should just buy a 262 muffler and mod that?

Appreciate any input. Thanks again for all the information.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my 262xp muffler I modded with a Husqvarna 503-07-83-01 deflector. It has a 261 cover on it and I call it my tri port muffler. I would think you could mod a 261 muffler the same. I don't know if a 261 muffler is a hollow can like a 262 is, if it's not you could gut it.
Also, on the 262 mufflers I've seen there are beads of weld on the bolt tubes that protude into the exhaust inlet of the muffler, if the 261 is like that you may want to grind them down.
If you need porting pics let me know.

attachment.php

The 262 mufflers are hollow, I have a 261 that has a wall dividing front from back with about a 9/16" hole near the center for the exhaust slot in the front cover. The deflector for the side port looks more restrictive also.

I cut the stock deflector off, ground out everything under it and brazed it back on.

But, all you need to do is drill a hole in the side. Probably about 5/8".

Or, you could open up the slit on the front cover, enlarge the hole behind it and drill a hole through the partition. That would be the easiest way to keep a spark screen

Jeez, I can't thank you guys enough. I've been scouring the internet looking for a picture of this for 6 months. Yeah, the 262's not hollow, and it's been those beads of weld that have had me stymied. I used a chain file on that 9/16" hole in the front, but it didn't help much. Porting pix would be very helpful, Longwood, if you got around to that. I got a family reunion today, but I'm going to get right on this and I'll post a pic of it when I get it done. Thanks again, Bob

Cheeves,
Here are some 262 pics for ya. To start with I left the .030 thick base gasket out but I only had
.010 squish on the outer most part of the piston. I put the piston in a lathe and cut .010 off the top. This gave me a total of .020 squish. I only cut a .120 wide band around the piston top. I hope you can see it in the pic. This raised the compression 15psi. The muffler pic is my other 262 with a quad port muf mod.

attachment.php
attachment.php
View attachment 190958
View attachment 190957

Finally the transfer ports. I angled the upper toward the intake port.
Before porting my 262's turned around 14,000rpms. After porting they turn 15,500rpm and they pull much stronger.

attachment.php
View attachment 190966

Here is a video of the results. The audio doesn't do the saw justice.
‪262xp ported‬‏ - YouTube

Longwood: I really can't thank you enough for all these pix/video. That saw cuts through that oak like butter. Really impressive. Nice hollow sound, but you said the audio isn't true to the saw. Must be pretty loud!

I've never ported a saw, but I've wanted to for quite awhile. The saw I was going to practice on got ripped off this winter, but I think I'll use my 36 and start with that. What did you use to grind out these ports? I have a friend who's a machinist, he built my chimney, AND he's a customer for wood. I'll take these over to him and see if he can do it for me. I really want to do this to my Efco 156. The Meteor p/c kits Bailey's sells look to be the same as in that. Will a 346 p/c fit right on a 350? I've never gotten over losing my 44 in a divorce :(

I've been looking for this stuff for a couple of years now. Eventually, I want to put a 79cc kit in my Makita to use in a sawmill.

cylinder swap

I was reading your posts and that saw really performs well. I have a 1998 261 and was wondering if I could replace the piston and cylinder with and aftermarket 272 or 372 xp... I see the 372 272 piston cylinders are about $50 less and it would give me more power.

I don't think a 272 is practical. It probably could be done, but not worth the money or time. You can easily swap the 261 dished piston for the 262 flat-top and pick up nearly a hp. Then a little porting and a MM, and voila, you are very close to a 272.

Thanks for your response. Do you think I can purchase a whole 262 piston/cylinder kit? I had picked up a saw years ago that was scored on the initial running due to the owner using straight gas. I tried to clean up the cylinder but its too far gone.
Thanks for your help.
Greg

I cut the stock deflector off, ground out everything under it and brazed it back on.

But, all you need to do is drill a hole in the side. Probably about 5/8".

Or, you could open up the slit on the front cover, enlarge the hole behind it and drill a hole through the partition. That would be the easiest way to keep a spark screen

Zombiechopper, forgive me for being so slow to respond to your help. I've been working on this muffler situation with my converted 262 Husky. I found a 262 muffler on Ebay for $9, I just got it back this morning from having it sandblasted and painted it with hi-temp paint. I'm thinking of drilling a hole thru the middle about 9/16. What do you think? I'm also going to do the 261 muffler as you suggested.

I was cutting in late winter and spring where I was trying to keep the noise down. But now have i figure about 111/2 cords so now I'm going for the speed and power. Much thanks for your info and time. Bob

Latest posts

Back