Husky 261 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 262xp stock isn't a quite saw stock. Maybe leave the new 262 muffler stock and mod the 261 and play around with both. You can even put the 261 front cover on the 262 muffler and have a dual port.

Thanks for your response. Do you think I can purchase a whole 262 piston/cylinder kit? I had picked up a saw years ago that was scored on the initial running due to the owner using straight gas. I tried to clean up the cylinder but its too far gone.
Thanks for your help.
Greg

WoodTick007 I read your post. I had a 261 converted to a 262 by Baileys. They used their NWP p/c. It's worked out great. They put on a 3shoe clutch but from what I've read you can get by without it. I'm in the process of changing the 261 muffler. I took the screen out of it which really helped. I've cut a lot of wood with it this late winter and spring. Maybe close to 5 cords. It is my quietest saw so I used it about everyday where I was trying to be as quiet as possible. But now I just want performance so am attempting to Mod a 262 I found on Ebay. Good luck. You have The Legend. Bob

Here is a video of the results. The audio doesn't do the saw justice.
‪262xp ported‬‏ - YouTube

Longwood, I've been awhile getting back to you because I've been working on the muffler for the 262. Hopefully my wife will put a picture of on here. It's not the greatest looking muffler but it works.

I got a muffler from Ebay for $9, had it sandblasted, and then painted it. Then I thought to put the outside plate from the 261 on it and then I opened the slit some. I got the idea from on here (like everything else). Fired it up and it runs great. Without even putting it in wood could tell the difference. Cut a lot of wood with it this late winter and spring. Anyway, thinking about getting the 79cc NWP p/c kit from Baileys and having the guy who sandblasted the muffler port it using your pictures as sort of a guide. Should I cut the teeth off the deflector?

Have you ever done a porting job on a 79cc Dolmar? Your 262 job is a classic. I showed it to my father this morning and he was impressed. He was a mechanic for American Airlines for 27 yrs. Went to the relief of Bastogne in a tank with Patton's 3rd Army. He's 88 yrs old and gets his own pallets. Rebuilds the finest Gravely Tractors in the country. Has won all kinds of awards at shows. Right now my mother is keeping him out of his barn that he's worked out of since 1959. Causing us some big problems. All our tools or most of them are in there.

Anyway you spent some time and effort helping me out and I'm very thankful for it. Take care. Bob

Last edited:
Longwood, I've been awhile getting back to you because I've been working on the muffler for the 262. Hopefully my wife will put a picture of on here. It's not the greatest looking muffler but it works.

I got a muffler from Ebay for $9, had it sandblasted, and then painted it. Then I thought to put the outside plate from the 261 on it and then I opened the slit some. I got the idea from on here (like everything else). Fired it up and it runs great. Without even putting it in wood could tell the difference. Cut a lot of wood with it this late winter and spring. Anyway, thinking about getting the 79cc NWP p/c kit from Baileys and having the guy who sandblasted the muffler port it using your pictures as sort of a guide. Should I cut the teeth off the deflector?

Have you ever done a porting job on a 79cc Dolmar? Your 262 job is a classic. I showed it to my father this morning and he was impressed. He was a mechanic for American Airlines for 27 yrs. Went to the relief of Bastogne in a tank with Patton's 3rd Army. He's 88 yrs old and gets his own pallets. Rebuilds the finest Gravely Tractors in the country. Has won all kinds of awards at shows. Right now my mother is keeping him out of his barn that he's worked out of since 1959. Causing us some big problems. All our tools or most of them are in there.

Anyway you spent some time and effort helping me out and I'm very thankful for it. Take care. Bob

View attachment 192298

Last edited:
I have to agree the 262xp and 257 mufflers r the same and not a whole lot of gains to be had. But the 261 is alot more restricted. I opened mine up at the front plate and made the small hole maybe 3/8 hole more like a 3/4 hole. I also drilled out the two 1/4 holes behind the side deflector and opened that area up. I am going to paint it later cause I wanted to try it out first. I got great gains from this mod. Seems like alot more responsive and sounds meaner but not to loud. I also had to richen it up a tad. Still will not run with my 257 converted to 262xp with my interpretation of a woods port [which rips by the way] but will probably compete when I get my 262 flat top piston. Here r some pictures in rough but served the purpose form.

More pics. I also wanted to say Its not staying like this I am in the process of cleaning it up and paint in the next day or two . Just posting where gains can be had
. Hope it helps someone

I've got my friends 261EPA here on my bench, along with several other of his disasters....2-272K, 272XP, 55, and a Partner K700 active. I will definitely need a P&C for the 261 and I will go for the 262XP version. The 2 shoe clutch/drum is toast. I've been scouring the IPL for 261 and 262 and have not been successful to find the 3 shoe clutch. Ironically the 55 clutch is the same as the 261...10mmx1.5mmLH coarse. Any help here on ID/PN of the 3 shoe clutch? Since I have to get a new one anyway. I'll do a MM to the front of the 261 muffler to let it breath.
The pay off for this job is I get to keep the 272XP and K700. The 272XP appears to be OK...but missing clutch cover and no B&C.:happybanana:
Not so lucky on the K700. :baba:

TIA

262 3-shoe clutch
de457624417e276f718062df81e7d361.jpg

262 3-shoe clutch
de457624417e276f718062df81e7d361.jpg

Many thanks. I had found several clutches but was nervous about whether they were fine or coarse thread, since there were 2 different # for 262 crankshafts, one being the same as 261 crank. I would hate to spend my friends money to get the wrong parts. I admit am definitely a chainsaw newbe...especially with huskies.
He wants to keep the 261/262 instead of the 272xp because the 261 has the small husky mount(like his 2-55) vs. the 272 large husky mount. Where as I have 2 large husky mount saws, 2100 & 298...and now a third one... 272xp.
I believe that he burned his 261 saw up due to a blown manifold gasket that was worked on during the warranty work done years ago. The manifold block is very poorly finished on the cylinder end and that's where the gasket let go. I'll add a pix once I fix this old computer.
261manigskt.jpg

If you suck air long enough and run hard enough, I think it would cook the piston....and it did!

Latest posts

Back