Husky 555 or MS 261 VW Arctic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, a new guy here wanting to be talked into one or the other of these saws by those of you with the knowledge and experience I'm looking for. Any and all info is very welcome, good, bad or otherwise:msp_biggrin:

I'm not new to saws but have never spent this kind of money on a saw before, so I'd like to get it right the first time if I can.
I realize it all comes down to personal preference, as both are well thought of and I'm sure I can't go wrong with either, but out of curiosity I'd like to know what other folks think.

As above, I'm leaning towards either the Husky 555 or the Stihl MS 261 (or the 261 vw arctic).
I don't need a bar any longer than 16''
Uses will be mostly for firewood, with some ripping on spruce and pine only since it's all we have, along with the odd bit of birch. Max tree diameter would be about 14 to 16'', with most in the 8'' range or less. Our trees just don't get very big here, so either of these saws are totally unnecessary. I just want a good one:wink2:
Thoughts please....

Hi all, a new guy here wanting to be talked into one or the other of these saws by those of you with the knowledge and experience I'm looking for. Any and all info is very welcome, good, bad or otherwise:msp_biggrin:

I'm not new to saws but have never spent this kind of money on a saw before, so I'd like to get it right the first time if I can.
I realize it all comes down to personal preference, as both are well thought of and I'm sure I can't go wrong with either, but out of curiosity I'd like to know what other folks think.

As above, I'm leaning towards either the Husky 555 or the Stihl MS 261 (or the 261 vw arctic).
I don't need a bar any longer than 16''
Uses will be mostly for firewood, with some ripping on spruce and pine only since it's all we have, along with the odd bit of birch. Max tree diameter would be about 14 to 16'', with most in the 8'' range or less. Our trees just don't get very big here, so either of these saws are totally unnecessary. I just want a good one:wink2:
Thoughts please....

With the trees being that small the 261 May be more saw than you need and the 555 is way over kill. Look into a Dolmar 420 or 421 it fits your needs a little better and cheaper as well. Don't confuse it being cheaper with it being poor quality. It's a pro design with a split case and plenty of power.

Op- I believe you are right on target.....

This is how I run them. They are all ported. I dont switch bars..... I switch saws. I think these combos are perfect.

50cc is 16" bar territory
60cc is 18''
70 cc is 20''
88 cc is 24''
99 cc is 28''

With the trees being that small the 261 May be more saw than you need and the 555 is way over kill. Look into a Dolmar 420 or 421 it fits your needs a little better and cheaper as well. Don't confuse it being cheaper with it being poor quality. It's a pro design with a split case and plenty of power.

Both are definitely more than I need, especially the 555 as you say, but I have other saws in the smaller cc range. I also have an old Husky 50 that I'm needing to replace, so am not wanting to go lower than 50cc. I'm looking for a better quality saw, one which may be the last saw I'll need to buy (I'm in my mid 50's:msp_scared:)
In hindsight, I guess I should have really asked which saw in the 50cc range would you buy:redface:

Both are definitely more than I need, especially the 555 as you say, but I have other saws in the smaller cc range. I also have an old Husky 50 that I'm needing to replace, so am not wanting to go lower than 50cc. I'm looking for a better quality saw, one which may be the last saw I'll need to buy (I'm in my mid 50's:msp_scared:)
In hindsight, I guess I should have really asked which saw in the 50cc range would you buy:redface:

The 2253 in the trading post. The 550xp/2253 are really nice handling saws.

I'm a big 555 fan, but in this case a 261 will do the trick and be a tad lighter. If you already have a 50cc saw though, then maybe you can get the 555 just to have a 60cc saw :msp_biggrin:

Both are top of the line pro quality saws.

I like the reach of an 18"-.325 on a strong 50cc saw.

The Jonsered 2253 in the Trading Post sure is a handsome saw though!

Hey Carver,

Welcome to the site.

I won't give you a saw recommendation, only because what works for me may not be right for you, only you can decide. In my experience having a good dealer is just as critical if not more so, as the brand of saw.

I will say no matter what saw you go with, you're definitely on the right track looking at saws with Artic / heated handle options (G models in a Husky). I cut a lot during cold weather and last year I invested in two saws with heated grips and it is by far one of the best decisions I've ever made. One of those where you kick yourself and say, "Why didn't I do this 15 years ago?".

With the level of arthritis I have in my hands even when it's not super cold, or just damp and raw, the heated handles really help reduce the aches, pains and cramping. The addition of the heated carb really helps if you cut a lot in the winter and run into a lot of fine powdery snow, Helps to keep the filter from icing up.

Take Care

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I really do appreciate all the information.
I ended up buying the Stihl MS261 Arctic. Stihl is currently the only dealer here now, and one which previously carried both Stihl and Husky but now have dropped Husky, so the decision was made easy, as I didn't want to drive a couple hours to the next closest Husky dealer.
The arctic model was not cheap -they run $729 here vs $650 for the regular 261, but nothing is cheap here. I see that it's also a German built saw.
Only time will tell if it's going to be a good one or a lemon. I'm hoping good!

Op- I believe you are right on target.....

This is how I run them. They are all ported. I dont switch bars..... I switch saws. I think these combos are perfect.

50cc is 16" bar territory
60cc is 18''
70 cc is 20''
88 cc is 24''
99 cc is 28''

Thats probably not that great of advice for the average user....

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I really do appreciate all the information.
I ended up buying the Stihl MS261 Arctic. Stihl is currently the only dealer here now, and one which previously carried both Stihl and Husky but now have dropped Husky, so the decision was made easy, as I didn't want to drive a couple hours to the next closest Husky dealer.
The arctic model was not cheap -they run $729 here vs $650 for the regular 261, but nothing is cheap here. I see that it's also a German built saw.
Only time will tell if it's going to be a good one or a lemon. I'm hoping good!

I would definitely fork out the extra 80 for the arctic. And it being built in Germany compared to US, well why not. I just like the all metal wrap handle on the vw.

Post pics when you get either saw home!

Where abouts are you in this fine land? What is your local dealer support like? The Triple Nickel is a great saw, and years ahead of a 261.

Based upon your description of the diameter of trees in your area, I am guessing your more northern. Heated handlebars can be detrimental in certain areas/climates.

The 261 was a good choice. Poor time however to buy a Stihl. Spring sale price of $579 ended June 30, and fall program is not on yet.

Heated handles are never a bad thing in Canada, unless its on a Husky.

Last edited:
Where abouts are you in this fine land? What is your local dealer support like?

I'm in northern Saskatchewan. The local dealer seems to be very good, always pleasant and helpful, but for actual warranty/service work I can't say as I'm new to Stihl.

The 261 was a good choice. Poor time however to buy a Stihl. Spring sale price of $579 ended June 30, and fall program is not on yet.

Heated handles are never a bad thing in Canada, unless its on a Husky.

Actually, for some reason this dealer is still offering the standard 261 at the $579 sale price. This of course made me think long and hard before choosing the much more expensive Arctic, but you only live once and it is after all only money:rolleyes2:
I've cheaped out before on things and have always ended up regretting it, so this time I just went for it.
Had there been a Husky dealer close by, my decision would have been much harder.
As I said above, with our small trees bigger (to me) saws are unnecessary, but with ripping in mind I didn't want to go too small. Everything is a compromise I suppose.

Good on you getting the Stihl, you made the best choice for where you are at, albeight lack of Husqvarna representation.

As for the Arctic version.....consider where you are and use the heating as necessary.

Warm hands and gloves/mitts can lead to frozen hands very quickly in some environments.

Thats probably not that great of advice for the average user....

How do you figure?

OP said he didn't need anymore than a 16'' bar. For 16'' bar I recommended 50cc which in my case is 2253. OP wound up buying 50cc. What advice did you give him?

Congrats on the saw, out here the 261 is what SRD and quite a few of the highway maintanence companys use, so you know its a good saw. That being said for a firewood saw in these parts I think a 60 cc saw with a 20" bar is nice. I find the longer bar works for me more than against me, even if I'm not cutting anything big enough to need the longer bar. I would have gone with the 555 or the 362.

Back