Husqvarna in China

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Husqvarna expands in Asia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In connection with the integration of the recently acquired Zenoah operation in Japan, the Husqvarna Group, based in Stockholm, Sweden, will expand its production base and presence in Asia.

Husqvarna has decided to build a new plant in Changzhou, China, which will replace Zenoah’s existing Chinese plant and is expected to become operational in the first quarter of 2009. The new facility represents an investment of about MSEK 70 (US$11 million) and involves increasing production capacity for brush cutters and hedge-trimmers, as well as expanding production to include chainsaws for the consumer market. This will increase the group’s annual production in China by about one million units.

In addition to the new plant, about MSEK 20 (US$3 million) will be invested in the Zenoah facility in Kawagoe, Japan. This plant produces mainly chainsaws, trimmers, blowers and brush cutters, and also manufactures large volumes of components. The investment will enable increasing production of engine cylinders by about 600,000 units annually.
As of Dec. 1, Zenoah Co. Ltd and the Husqvarna Co., in Japan will be combined as a single company, Husqvarna Zenoah Co. Ltd.

What would stop them making pro-saws there?

That's what I was wondering when I read the earlier post. Honestly, if you get the machining more or less right, there isn't anything particularly difficult to do in order to assemble a saw. But even if there was, there is no reason why the Chinese couldn't do it just as well as anyone else...for no more than a quarter of the labor cost.

I thought a stronger presence there might give them some ammunition against the counterfitters. Hard to fight them from a distance.

Ian

Brief story about China manufacturing.
I'm into Cowboy Action Shooting.
Rules say all weapons must be pre 1899....or replicas.
This means Single action revolvers, lever (or pump) rifles and either a side by side shotgun or.....an 1897 Winchester pump.
As they only made slightly over one million 97's the supply began to dry up very fast. AND.....an old 97 that looks like it was drug behind a truck was suddenly worth $2-250.00!

SO.....the Chinese began making fake Winchester 97's.
Trouble was they copied, part for part, an old worn out shotgun.
Brand new....worn out!

A gunsmith, cowboy shooter friend of mine was hired by the Chinese to help sort out all the problems.

He knew I had a near new, pristine 97 (serial over 1 million) and asked me for the loan of it for the purpose of measuring all the (as new) parts.

This helped some but the updated copies, today, are still clunkers with very poor machining. Rough as a cobb on the inside.

Are they funcional? Yes, but, the actions feel like they are full of sand when operated.

If any of you owns one of these poorly cloned 97's.... it's momma (old bertha) resides in my safe. (but don't blame her!)

I wouldn't take one as a gift!

Husky in china? NO way, they just stopped online sales.:ices_rofl:

Anyone seen Peter lately? I recall him razzing me alot about Stihl putting a factory overthere to get in that billion people market. Looks like Husky is following the leader as usual, tell Peter I said so,wink!

I guess I smelled this one coming. What now, Husqvarna at Walmart?

It just sounds like Mac and Homelite all over again to me. It starts with the homeowner saws flooding the market. Then a bean counter somewhere will decide that they can make more profit by dumping the pro model lineup completely.:cry:

I worked at Dool & Die Shop in the Special Machine Dept.

About 13 years ago we done a job for a Major camera film manufacture.
Made two diff machines, one would put together a roll of 35mm film
in X number seconds, other machine was faster. Slower machines
where sent to China along with 6 men from or shop to install
them, faster machines stayed in the U.S. But even the China
machines parts where held to very tight tolerances most parts
+.002,-.000 but some where held to +.0002,-.0001. These machines
where so fast at putting all the pieces of the film canisters together
and winding roll of film inside we had to use a video camera, then
slow it down to watch it work. Dark room was built to run machines
in.

I guess what I'm saying it is up to the company if they are going to
produce junk or not. Do I think its a good idea to send our work to
China.........NO! Film Co. we done the work for said the China
machines where for the Asian market.

I hate it but allot of machines we made went all over the world. After
the Machines where set up and going........U.S. jobs where lost.

The last time I talked to the Husky rep for my area he said it looked like "pro" Huskys would be gone in 5 years. I hope not, but he said the money was in the lawn and garden sector. Its the bottom line that decides a companies direction. I hope that he was just full of hot air.

The last time I talked to the Husky rep for my area he said it looked like "pro" Huskys would be gone in 5 years. I hope not, but he said the money was in the lawn and garden sector. Its the bottom line that decides a companies direction. I hope that he was just full of hot air.

sales reps and hot air? na. couldn't be...:greenchainsaw:

A description of Zama from Stihl's press release.

"Some 80 employees work at the company’s four locations. Another approximately 1,900 people are employed through a Chinese contractor."

Anyone care to guess where the carbs are actually built?
Ian

Anyone seen Peter lately? I recall him razzing me alot about Stihl putting a factory overthere to get in that billion people market. Looks like Husky is following the leader as usual, tell Peter I said so,wink!

Nope, haven't seen ole Pete lately. Maybe he sunk in his ship full of BS.:confused: :confused:

He may be stretching to the extremes abit but alot of what he said is true. The landscaper and homeower market is much bigger than the chainsaw market in the USA. Everyone needs to cut their grass alot more than they need to wack up a tree. I think the big chainsaw boom of the 60's,70's,80's have given way to the to all the homes where those trees removed once stood. Where there were trees there are now millions of yards. It explains why weedtrimmers out sell chainsaws bigtime.

Latest posts

Back