i might be doing a bone head move here so flame me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my quart of BelRay in Dec. How much oil do you use? It it wasn't for buying my Lawnboy mower, I would have half that quart left.

i had always run the echo power blend at 45:1 and never had a failure,,,, i am going to run this at 40:1 by using 3 ounces per gallon,,, figure i cant go wrong with that and even with that i will still be ahead cost wise,,, glad to see a lot of people using it with no issues
That'd be 3.2 opg

You're getting the saw in a few months. It currently has had 3 tanks of fuel through it, all 90 non eth & 50:1 stihl standard Ultra. It will have another 4-8 tanks through it when you get it. Would you like to see what 10 tanks of ultra at 50:1 look like, or should I switch oils & ratio? I have Torco syn, Belray Si-7, Maxima Tundra, Arctic Cat syn & SLP Racing syn in stock.

I wouldn't run 50:1 in a weedwacker.

see,, now your splitting hairs,,,,i am not the one that makes the labels,,,, i figure since they spend the money to research an test everything then it must be either close or right,,, 2.6 ounces of echo power blend with 9 tenths of a gallon is 45:1,,,, so 3 ounces should be 40:1 with a gallon

Close, but not quite. 128oz/gal. Easy to figure exactly.Without spelling out all the math, it works out this way:
2.6oz of oil/gal is 49.23:1
2.56oz of oil/gal is 50:1
3.2oz of oil/gal is 40:1
4oz of oil/gal is 32:1
To get a 40:1 mix using a 2.6oz bottle of oil you need to use .8gal of fuel

Your label maker flunks math. I'm glad he isn't employed to calculate the amount of medication required for IV use for heart problems, general anesthesia, etc.!!

Klotz is under $20 a quart in my area. I use it in saws and has always held up excellent in the full blown drag banshees and blasters. And to me it smells way better than Bel-ray but I wldnt hesitate a bit to run either.
I don't think it's that cheap at my local motorcycle shop, of course nothing else is cheap there either...

The Stihl, and Husky oils don't work well at 32:1.....they leave too much crud behind.

I buy a better oil so I can use more of it and still have a nice clean engine.
If you don't mind telling me, what kind of oil would you run in a stock chain saw and what ratio.

The conundrum of two cycle oil is that it has to burn, but it can't burn(up). I mean it has to be combustible enough that when it burns, it burns clean and leaves very little or no deposits on the reciprocating parts and exhaust port/ muffler. Yet, there has to be enough marbles left over (after combustion) that the moving parts have a slathering of protection from metal to metal contact. This whole low rate oil mix thing is COMPLETLY EPA DRIVEN! If you can afford to buy a saw and toss it every five or so years, then follow your all knowing government's guidelines for OPE emissions compliance. If on the other hand, you tend to cling to your assets, (I still have the first saw I ever owned, bought new in 1975, 32:1 from day one, never had the jug off the saw, exactly one carburetor kit since new) then, use some oil in your mix. Which is cheaper, a jug of oil or a jug for your saw?

And to think I have run motor oil and my grandfather ran used motor oil in some of his saws. Granted the tolerances are tighter on the engines but just puts things in perceptive. I wouldn't run motor oil in my current saws now cause when you know better you are supposed to do better.

Back