I need help deciding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good brushwacker.
I've heard this saw came with different carbs to. Some were fixed and some fully adjustable. Which one was the best. How do you tell?

If you have 2 screws H = hi speed adjustment L= low sp adj., will be a 3rd screw below for idle adj., then it is fully adjustable. Others have only an L low speed adjustment with out the H hi adjustment + idle screw. Later ones also had plastic limiter caps over the screws which only gives you a small amount of adjustment. They can be removed by screwing a dry wall screw in them and pulling them off for more adj.. I forget all which model carbs they used.

Good to know. I tried adjusting it yesterday and now it won't run. I can't figure out why. I backed the high and low speed out 1 turn and fiddled with the idle screw and it won't idle or barely run. When I would finally get it started it ran rough and wouldn't idle. I would have to keep giving it gas. I changed the spark plug and am using a special fuel mix that contains no ethanol. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but when I first bought it and didn't even change anything yet it ran like a champ! So I'm confused.

Let me make sure I've got this straight - the saw was running correctly and you turned both the low and high out 1 more turn?
Your carby has no plastic limit tabs on the adjustment screws, right?

Your right to an extent. The saw was running great. I then decided to adjust the carb to make sure the screws were where they should be. I screwed both the high and low in all the way to their seat. Then I backed them out one full turn. When I finally got the saw started after like 15 pulls it wouldn't idle or run very well. I tried adjusting idle screw next but didn't seem to make a difference. I don't see any plastic. I actually backed the idle screw out so far it came off at one point so I had to screw it back in. Not sure if it's the gas I'm using or what. I'm going to mess with it again this week

Ok. That makes slightly more sense.
If you happened to count turns when you screwed them in - you can return to that setting.
I'm guessing you didn't, so that's lesson one. Always work out your baseline setting and write it down before you change anything.

Brad's tuning thread - there is a link in his sig in the post above mine - has all the info you should need if you read and watch everything.

Actually I counted the l screw and it was like 1/2 turn I think. I figured this is too lean though right. As you back the screws out it should get richer right?

1/2 a turn is a number. It doesn't tell you if the saw is too rich or lean.
Only your ears (and a tach if you had one) will do that.

Ok guys here's the deal. After an hour of messing around with the carb I finally got the saw running again. I then made sure the L idle screw was backed out 1 turn from seat. Then I messed with the idle screw and adjusted that just to where the chain wasn't spinning. Like 1/2 turn out from where the chain stopped moving. Then I made sure the H screw was out 1 turn from seat.
I read some where though that the H screw should be adjusted when saw is at wide open throttle. Is this correct? I recall it says it should be adjusted to where its running just slightly rich or 4 stroking. I watched the videos but couldn't tell much difference. I just don't want to run it to lean and have it get to hot. Does anyone know where the H screw should be exactly?

The H screw doesn't have a specific place, or amount of turns out where it should be. The tune changes due to weather, temperature, fuel, etc. All saws are different.
To tune the H speed, yes, you do it at WOT. You want the saw to sound like it's stumbling, or 4 stroking WOT no load. It should clean up and sound nice and smooth under a load.
See the videos in Brad's link, or lots of other info or videos on the correct sound. Some say to tune with a tachometer, I say (and others) tune so it 4 strokes and cleans up under load. Once you hear it, you'll know it.

Ok perfect thank you. And just so I know I'm doing this right, it will start to stumble or 4 stroke as I turn the H screw out more not in right

Some of my saws I can clearly hear the stumble and others I can't. Such as my 026. The easiest way I have found to tune the h needle on saws I have trouble hearing 4-stroke on is to make it really rich in the cut (easier for me to hear 4-stroking) and lean it out from there.

Its also easier for me to hear the change in tune when I'm wearing ear plugs.

Latest posts

Back