I need help deciding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the sprocket that drove the chain, under the c clip, but only if you change the chain to non 3/8. Also check the width of your drive links, usually they are .050, but not always. Your chain, bar & sprocket must match.
The sprocket is not gauge specific. I'm not sure you were saying it was, but it could be read that way by a newbie.

thanks for the info fellas. I called up our stihl shop here in town and he said he will dig around for a used 18" and .325 chain. He has new ofcourse but said new will be expensive. He said he would be interested in my current bar and chain as well. Should i do a strait across trade or should i keep my 24" ??
If i trade should i get some money back as well or just trade?
Or should i sell my bar and chain seperate online or something?

also what should i be spending on a used 18" with chain? i dont want to get ripped off, not saying he will do that.

he said he does have a used 18" bar with chain and will give me or sell me a new chain too, probably give me if i do the trade.
Should I do this or keep my bar and give it to my brother for his 044. Not sure he would ever use it though is the thing. he uses his 28" and doesnt cut more than 5 cord per year

I think it sounds like you have a dealer who is bending over backwards to help. He is a much better resource than us, if simply because he can show you things in person.
Swap the bar, give him money, whatever he wants. And I'd probably include a 6 pack or some donuts or something. What someone can show you in 5 minutes will save you an hour of watching YouTube videos and you will know who is giving you advice.
Time is valuable, both yours and his and he seems generous with his.
This isn't the last thing you need to know about chainsaws!

And if you hang around here, well, next thing you'll want is a junk saw from under his bench that you can try and rebuild to continue learning. Many of us do without a local dealer, but we've been at this for years and have forgotten how lucky we were to be guided through the learning process by someone.

chris,
I am switching chain t o 325 so i dont think the 16" the other member has will work as he stated its a 3/8. I don't know i could be wrong but i hate to have him waste his time since im changing chains.
weedkilla yes he is very helpful dealer. I plan on buying some fuel and oil from him when i go in to do the trade. I will post up pictures and a video if i can when it has its new setup installed! :)

ok guys here it is. My finally finished new saw!! 18" bar with .325 NEW chain, new sprocket and i even got a used chain as backup. Now thats what i call customer service. He gave me all this for my 24" and chain. Didnt have to spend a penny:)
I did buy some fuel and bar cover though so yeah. I'm stolked and cant wait to go cut stuff
here are pics and a video of it running

Attachments

• new bar and chain 003.jpg
    new bar and chain 003.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 33
  • new bar and chain 004.jpg
    new bar and chain 004.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 26
I just want to say thank you to all you guys that helped me pick out my saw. Going to start cutting soon. Can't wait!

image.jpg
Looks good! Im sure you'll be happy with it.

I had one I gave to my FIL, they're good little saws. I went ahead and left the 3/8 20" bar on mine...
image.jpg

You did good buying that saw. Hang around here long enough and it will be your small saw. That's what happened to me. I cut firewood for years with a 42cc saw, found this site and I have a new favorite hobby.

Oh yeah I don't doubt it. I'm sure ill have more questions once I start cutting

Oh yeah I don't doubt it. I'm sure ill have more questions once I start cutting

Said it before, will say it again....you did well Marine. Take your time and learn how to use that saw well. It's not rocket science, but bad habits learned early tend to be the hardest to shed later...(DAMHIK)

Thanks adkranger!
I'm looking forward to using it once my bro can show me the proper techniques.

Great mid size saw but like all not perfect. Remember to keep the air filter breathing as they do clog up rather soon on that generation of Stihls, if you run them long. Will keep it running strong and efficient and reduce carbon build up. It only takes less then a minute to convienantly lift the cover off the air filter, tap lightly around the side of the filter to release saw dust build up so it breaths well. I usually do so nearly every fuel fill up after the 2nd. Blow it out light and careful with air at home after more then a few hours or so of use. Use good oil and fresh premium gas. I think most people here will agree full synthetic 2 stroke is best and a little richer then 50 to 1 to be on the safe side. Plenty on mix ratios if you do a search. The carb should be adjusted to your mix and elevation, not enough fuel to air causes it to burn hot and limits lubrication. The engine will usually sound racy and wind out high when that happens, and end up seizing if not taken care of soon.
Happy sawing and don't pass up any good deals on another good saw. That way you can afford to have more of them and match your tools to different conditions more specifically. Makes the work go easier and faster.

Great advice! When I went to the stihl store I bought 1 gallon of woodcutter bar and chain lube for $13 and stihl high performance 2 cycle oil. Is this stuff pretty good or is there better stuff out there for less money or same price?

Lots of good reading for oil threads here. I usually stocck up on bar oil at Tsc when they go on sale.

I can find b&c oil 6 to $8 at farm stores in these parts. Basically I like thinner or winter oil in cold temps, prefer summer grade at about 55 degrees + but the cheaper stuff , which is usually thinner does me ok year around. I don't usually cut long hours much over 75 deg. any way. 2 cycle synthetic cost but at recommended manufactor ratios is well worth better protection. I use Champion for air cooled non synthetic at 28 to 1 (5oz to a gal of prem.) about 25 years w/ no problems. I keep my filters clean though and carbs dialed in. Some smoke at start up off choke, but little after I start cutting under load. Just bought 2 qts at 4.49 each. I think was 3.99 time before, but even at my richer mix I think its close to 1/2 of Stihl ultra if I used it at 40 to 1. If I ever see some good synthetic cheap enough I may do a switch and go 40 to 1, not to worry though with what I use mostly now.

Latest posts

Back