If you could only have one brand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you could only chooose one brand

• Stihl

Votes: 83 53.5%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 36 23.2%
  • Johnsered

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
I have a 200T for climbing, I have run Stihls before, they are mostly good saws. The caps are bunk, the screw has worked for humanity for thousands of years, why they changed it is beyond me. The 038 mag I bought new in '88 was good saw, except for the on/off/chike switch that broke and pizzed me right off. I bought a 266XP right away, it was a way better saw for me at the time (slashing r.o.w.s). I ran a 660 the other day, ran them and 460s before, used a 361, and so on. I own Huskies, they are my favorite on the ground, the Stihl in the air. No big deal either way, don't really matter. In this thread it would be nice if people said whether they are pros or not, like if they have ran lots of saws for a while to form an opinion or the herd told them.

how do u plan on compressing the tabs to remove the kill switch without taking off the top cover(which i believe is 4 bolts) after u remove the air cleaner cover

and u know what it takes to replace it.......one top half handle cover bolt, remove air filter cover and air filter, inner air filter baffle..2-aluminum intake bolts, pull of the two wires. and one screw on the side that holds the hole assembly in. you would have that many screws to take off the get the top cover off of a husky...

(pretty sure i got all that right-flying by the seat of my pants...haven't had one aparts sice sunday)

Close...
Hmmm.. about 2 minutes... 3 if the connectors still have the detents engaged. Replace - pretty damn rare... Ocassionaly they get saw crap inside them if the carb grommets are missing or loose. Quick clean out (poke with screw driver) and it works again.

I have a 200T for climbing, I have run Stihls before, they are mostly good saws. The caps are bunk, the screw has worked for humanity for thousands of years, why they changed it is beyond me. The 038 mag I bought new in '88 was good saw, except for the on/off/chike switch that broke and pizzed me right off. I bought a 266XP right away, it was a way better saw for me at the time (slashing r.o.w.s). I ran a 660 the other day, ran them and 460s before, used a 361, and so on. I own Huskies, they are my favorite on the ground, the Stihl in the air. No big deal either way, don't really matter. In this thread it would be nice if people said whether they are pros or not, like if they have ran lots of saws for a while to form an opinion or the herd told them.

nope, never ran a chainsaw

ok if u want to play lil kid games and compare swords....the only one that i know of for sure is my 660 that is 2 1/2 months old...and it has cut between 450,000-500,000 bft. and i haven't used it the last 2 weeks because ive been running the 460 that i built...but i do know that ive cut over 1,000,000 bft this year in between my 066/660/460. and if i remember correcty i think ive went through about 50 gallons of bar oil since june

Done playing childish games......if u cut more than me/as much as me/less than me, i really don't give a sh*t....

o yea...and to add to that i think ive cut somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 semi loads of pulp/firewood
Heck I thought they only had corn
in Illinois at least that is all I seen when there.

we get a tree or 2 that pops up in between the corn rows
Well you are doing different cutting from myself I am thinking of milling but not with a saw! I want to get a peterson swing blade or a norwood,timber king.
I would expect milling to wear things out faster on saws as my cutting is
mainly cross cutting. I think both saws are great I just like simple on
my equipment and that choke ign switch pissed me off and I changed brands as I used to run stihl!
028,084,009 if they made them
like that I would buy them!

Last edited:

By no means a professionaland never will claim to be, but have used a Jonsered for over 30+ years clearing our 120 acres of property of wind blown or dead trees etc.:chainsawguy:

I do not understand the problem with the caps?:confused: The Jon.. has the oil cap under the handle and is very difficult to fill without overfilling since you can not see into the 1/2" hole.The oil screw cap is also difficult to remove at times as it is very close to the housing and a screwdriver is often needed to twist the thing looser.
The Husky saw is the same way no way to see the oil as you are filling it. The fuel fill cap strips so easy unless you apply the cap aligniing with some marks on saw body and tighten to a certain mark or it leaks.:dizzy:

The 361 was so improved with the flip caps it made the refilling much easier and cleaner with no spills!:cheers: :biggrinbounce2:

I vote for OTHERS, cause I`ve a good SOLO 651 and a good SOLO-Service in town. And die service-man looks good for my litte Husky too.

Close...
Hmmm.. about 2 minutes... 3 if the connectors still have the detents engaged. Replace - pretty damn rare... Ocassionaly they get saw crap inside them if the carb grommets are missing or loose. Quick clean out (poke with screw driver) and it works again.

Always Facts, no BS, you da man Lake !! I have no other choice now than to vote for Stihl ;)

What am I going to go and buy brand new from my dealer- HUSKY

What am I going to buy used from whoever if it strikes my fancy- ANY SAW THAT IS OVER 60cc

What old saws do I have a fascination with- STIHL 051 AND UP, 925 HOMIES

Saws that I would love to own- MAC 125, JONNY 111

If I could only have one I would either MOVE, START A REVOLUTION, MANUFACTURE MY OWN SAW, OR LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH AN INTERNET MESAGE BOARD.

Chuck

That switch

I am used to the Stihl switches now. I just got my EHP372 this week. I gassed it up, pulled the choke, stuck it between my legs and pulled it probably 10 times before it fired. I was concerned till I realized...yep, my leg pushed the choke back in. I suppose it's all what you get used to. The funky flippy caps are fine for this weekend warrior.

Ian

Been lookin' for a good saw/machine gun setup like Marcus Fenix uses, local home depot store never seem to have any in stock though...

ssaw.jpg

I voted Stihl. If I had ALL Stihls I know I’d be rich! Currently saving for a new 660.:sucks::yoyo:

I like Husky. I like the way they feel, they just fit me better then other brands do. I like their anti vibration and air filtration systems. Their availability in my area is plentiful. Works out good for me. ;)

I like Husky. I like the way they feel, they just fit me better then other brands do. I like their anti vibration and air filtration systems. Their availability in my area is plentiful. Works out good for me. ;)[/QUOTE

I totally agree. I think that Stihl makes great saws but the Husky's always feel better in my hands. I'm not a pro-just a firewood cutter/saw enthusiast. It's a shame that spotty dealer support takes away from the actual quality of the saw in some people's eyes.

Back