junk ms260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.STIHL036

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A guy that I work with bought a new ms 260 pro for limbing and this one has the 3/8'' .050 setup running a 16'' oregon vanguard chain. the problem is any time he goes to cut a peice of wood or even rev the saw up the chain dosnt move. we checked the chain tension and that it was on the sprocket. what is going on with this saw.

chain pitch

Make sure the sprocket is 3/8" as well. If the sprocket is .325 & chain is 3/8" that chain won't be turning at all.

A guy that I work with bought a new ms 260 pro for limbing and this one has the 3/8'' .050 setup running a 16'' oregon vanguard chain. the problem is any time he goes to cut a peice of wood or even rev the saw up the chain dosnt move. we checked the chain tension and that it was on the sprocket. what is going on with this saw.

Like stated above the 260 usually comes with .325" x .063" chain. If you look at the bar the size of the proper chain will be stamped in it. The .325" generally give better results then the 3/8" chains and cut smoother. The saw sounds like it is trashed to me. I'll give your buddy $150 for it because I can't stand to see a man forced to use a junk saw like the MS260. It's not easy to be as caring as I am, but I do try.

Another possibility is the chain has tattered or burred drive links from jumping off the bar. They can be alittle difficult to see. Try taking off the bar and try to all the drive links in the grove. the burrs can be filed or carefully ground off, I personally won't waste the time on a vanguard chain if that is your problem.

belive it or not all it was is just a bushing so we filed it down and it works well. we tore apart this saw my buddy bought like $125 worth of parts today and then I found the problem we put it back together and and sunk it into some firewood it cut good and now my buddy feels stupid for buying all those parts

Back