Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Used Dog told me that he thinks Collyfonia dogs are kind of stuck up and rude. :) He prefers his friends up here.

LOL...Yeah, the little rat dog thugs weren't very welcoming were they? I've been encouraging them to take long naps out in the back yard...maybe the vultures will think they died and carry them off.

Well I got the jug and slug completely changed over on my 405/455. Had it running for a couple minutes. Needs a carb kit and I also had to change out the fuel cap. Not bad for only tinkering around for a couple of hours.

There was also a rat dog on the loose in Willows. It ran at poor Benny all scary like. Ben remained Ghandi like because he was more interested in the little rat dog's tennis ball. Which made the rat dog go away. :clap:

I made 2 trips to the gym this weekend. I have come to the conclusion that finding easy firewood is a rare thing.

Yesterday's--close to home, on a sunny hillside, not far to pack, but a beast to split.
Here's an unflattering picture of The Used Dog. He didn't have his usual happy face on.

attachment.php

Todays spot. A rockpit not far at all to pack or toss the wood to the pickup.
Mostly alder, easy to split and cut. The bad? It was in a rockpit and was put there along with slide debris. There were hidden rocks amongst it! The Barbie Saw's chain had to be filed 4 times! I'm sure a modded 660 would have sliced right through those rocks!
attachment.php

I've driven today's road a lot in the last 3 years. I have it memorized along with all the bumps and slumps. I drove down slowly, about the speed the log trucks went. Memories of last summer's haul came to mind. The close calls with the berry pickers. The truckers on the radio saying they were in a standoff with the pickers, they were NOT going to go out on the outside part of the road to get around the picker. Then relief when the pickers chickened out.

The "coming down loaded at the SLOW spot"--the dump truck drivers called it a whoopdedoo. The smell of being behind the truck that forgot to hook up his trailer brakes and the front ones were smelly and smoking big time by the time he reached the bottom of the switchbacks.
Trying not to notice the trailers of logs swaying because of the rough pavement and all the slumpy spots.

I only had the froo froo pickup, but still went down in second gear. I could make pretend jake brake noises...

attachment.php

that looks like the, "chopping firewood is NOT going on a walk lady" expression. I miss my dogs, all of them are used. Thats the only way to own a dog, find em on the street or get them from the doggy auschwitz. . .

that looks like the, "chopping firewood is NOT going on a walk lady" expression. I miss my dogs, all of them are used. Thats the only way to own a dog, find em on the street or get them from the doggy auschwitz. . .

Nope, that was, "I don't want to hold still for a photo." The model was being
snooty. Since it got quite warm, probably what Collyfonia SHOULD be this time of year, he wanted to stay in the shade. He's a 40 degrees dog. :cheers:

After cutting that alder, with the hidden rocks in it, I needed a new chain. So I went to the adoption center for Twinkle and The Barbie Saw, and got some. There was the happy sound of saws running (outside) in the adoption center. They are not as well known as their famous northern neighbor, but are also a good saw place to go. I think they have every model of Stihl on display too.

attachment.php

Tomorrow might be a rough day. So I needed some new socks to make it nicer. I went to the famous place because they know not everybody has big feet and carry medium sizes. They were busy. I did not hear saws running here.
attachment.php

I'm lucky to live in an area that has two great saw shops.

[QUOTEI'm lucky to live in an area that has two great saw shops.[/QUOTE]

I wish we had shops like that around here.

Madsens

After cutting that alder, with the hidden rocks in it, I needed a new chain. So I went to the adoption center for Twinkle and The Barbie Saw, and got some. There was the happy sound of saws running (outside) in the adoption center. They are not as well known as their famous northern neighbor, but are also a good saw place to go. I think they have every model of Stihl on display too.

attachment.php

Tomorrow might be a rough day. So I needed some new socks to make it nicer. I went to the famous place because they know not everybody has big feet and carry medium sizes. They were busy. I did not hear saws running here.
attachment.php

I heard the new Madsens shop is pretty big. Last time I was in there was just before they built it. I bought a Silvey Pro Sharp, and A Modified 394...over $2,000 bucks. I tried to get old Sam Madsen to cut me a break, and the best he could do was a sale price on the saw. Good guys though, and I hope they are surviving with the economy on the down. I wish I had all the money that I ever spent at that place!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've bought mail order from Madsen's a few times, now I know what their place looks like. Thanks for the pics!

[QUOTEI'm lucky to live in an area that has two great saw shops.

I wish we had shops like that around here.[/QUOTE]

I'd pretty well say that is my shop, I buy saw parts, mix, and bar oil locally. Otherwise, its a phone call and shipping and Madsens is on the way. But, I've heard theres a big sawshop near Beckley or Mt. Hope, can't remember the name, you can bet it wont have all the real faller equip like you can get from madsens.

It must be in Mt Hope. I haven't found nothing big in Beckley. I do buy some stuff from madsens and baileys.

Well I finally got around to uploading some pictures. These two were taken Sept. 6th. Like it says on the clocl. It was at the local bar. The owner had made a couple requests for some dried up pecker poles for the bar top rails. Well, he decided that he wanted to have a 45 degree in it. So take a look and see.

DSCN1568.jpg

DSCN1569.jpg

It was the only saw I had in the truck. Plus though, I was given quiet a few free drinks that night.

Based on them red eyes of yours in that pic you givin the bar the evil eye

Neighborhood bars are a thing of the past here, they went with the Mom and Pop grocerystores.
I knew some wonderfull dives, there was one in Eureka, west of Broadway, at the edge of a sawmill's cold deck, Alton at Hwy 36 was where I tossed my cousin through a window, my Bro and I were asked to leave and never come from the Sawblade.

So, youngster, did you bag a hippy, or did you watch court tv?

Back