Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't given up yet. I guess I got off my @ss. I'm converting my Poulan Pro 405 into a 455. Cleaning up the exhaust port. Tons of carbon build up. Not I have to make a jug gasket. It's eating up my time. So is the Coors.

I made 2 trips to the gym this weekend. I have come to the conclusion that finding easy firewood is a rare thing.

Yesterday's--close to home, on a sunny hillside, not far to pack, but a beast to split.
Here's an unflattering picture of The Used Dog. He didn't have his usual happy face on.

attachment.php

Todays spot. A rockpit not far at all to pack or toss the wood to the pickup.
Mostly alder, easy to split and cut. The bad? It was in a rockpit and was put there along with slide debris. There were hidden rocks amongst it! The Barbie Saw's chain had to be filed 4 times! I'm sure a modded 660 would have sliced right through those rocks!
attachment.php

I've driven today's road a lot in the last 3 years. I have it memorized along with all the bumps and slumps. I drove down slowly, about the speed the log trucks went. Memories of last summer's haul came to mind. The close calls with the berry pickers. The truckers on the radio saying they were in a standoff with the pickers, they were NOT going to go out on the outside part of the road to get around the picker. Then relief when the pickers chickened out.

The "coming down loaded at the SLOW spot"--the dump truck drivers called it a whoopdedoo. The smell of being behind the truck that forgot to hook up his trailer brakes and the front ones were smelly and smoking big time by the time he reached the bottom of the switchbacks.
Trying not to notice the trailers of logs swaying because of the rough pavement and all the slumpy spots.

I only had the froo froo pickup, but still went down in second gear. I could make pretend jake brake noises...

attachment.php

I made 2 trips to the gym this weekend. I have come to the conclusion that finding easy firewood is a rare thing.

Yesterday's--close to home, on a sunny hillside, not far to pack, but a beast to split.
Here's an unflattering picture of The Used Dog. He didn't have his usual happy face on.

attachment.php

Todays spot. A rockpit not far at all to pack or toss the wood to the pickup.
Mostly alder, easy to split and cut. The bad? It was in a rockpit and was put there along with slide debris. There were hidden rocks amongst it! The Barbie Saw's chain had to be filed 4 times! I'm sure a modded 660 would have sliced right through those rocks!
attachment.php

I've driven today's road a lot in the last 3 years. I have it memorized along with all the bumps and slumps. I drove down slowly, about the speed the log trucks went. Memories of last summer's haul came to mind. The close calls with the berry pickers. The truckers on the radio saying they were in a standoff with the pickers, they were NOT going to go out on the outside part of the road to get around the picker. Then relief when the pickers chickened out.

The "coming down loaded at the SLOW spot"--the dump truck drivers called it a whoopdedoo. The smell of being behind the truck that forgot to hook up his trailer brakes and the front ones were smelly and smoking big time by the time he reached the bottom of the switchbacks.
Trying not to notice the trailers of logs swaying because of the rough pavement and all the slumpy spots.

I only had the froo froo pickup, but still went down in second gear. I could make pretend jake brake noises...

attachment.php

Whhhaaaat? You have a wood permit tacked to that load? You don't need no stinking permit. :Eye::Eye:

:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm no logger but cut up a little bit today. Cutting was quick, splitting wasn't. :cry:

CIMG1913.jpg

Typical East coaster

CIMG1915.jpg

Nice matt, There's a lot of wood there. Nice saw too. You lucky rascal.

Thanks SS, that was only 3 trees. I got a lot more to take down. I got a patch that's all vines and prickers, PITA to work in but nobody else will do it. I'm just gonna burn it :) scraggly trees anyway

Nice having an unlimited supply of hardwood

What kind of trees are they?

90% oak mostly red. lots of maple, and a bunch of who knows but it burns. :)

Had a cord of cherry last year form a job.

I'm spoiled drop it take the good stuff and leave the mess and push it into a pile ant it rots in a year or 2.

attachment.php

Of course he didn't have a happy face on...he'd rather be in California. There's a wood splitter in California. :clap:

attachment.php

That is tangible proof that you work in the woods Slowp. You go cut a load of firewood and you have the sense to put your powersaw in the back of the truck instead of "hanging it out" of the stacks, bar buried, power head out, for everyone to see you'sa been sawin' in them hills, headed back to Sea Tac :)

attachment.php

That is tangible proof that you work in the woods Slowp. You go cut a load of firewood and you have the sense to put your powersaw in the back of the truck instead of "hanging it out" of the stacks, bar buried, power head out, for everyone to see you'sa been sawin' in them hills, headed back to Sea Tac :)

People do that up there, too? I thought that was just a California thing. I like it when they just throw the saw on top of the load, which usually is piled way too high and isn't tied down. Every once in awhile you'll find a saw, usually road-rashed beyond repair, on the back side of rail crossings or bridge approaches. Lots of pieces of firewood too, usually in the same spot.

But, hey, don't they look COOL with their chainsaw and their firewood going down the road?

People do that up there, too? I thought that was just a California thing. I like it when they just throw the saw on top of the load, which usually is piled way too high and isn't tied down. Every once in awhile you'll find a saw, usually road-rashed beyond repair, on the back side of rail crossings or bridge approaches. Lots of pieces of firewood too, usually in the same spot.

But, hey, don't they look COOL with their chainsaw and their firewood going down the road?

What about the BIG rounds in the firewood units? You know what I'm talking about, the pistols, flare, sweep that are all butt and heavy. But hey, that's a 40 inch piece of wood, I better get at it, then saw a round that is 16-18 inches thick :dizzy: How's your back? But I can get three of them in my truck....Hmm. I think I'll spend four hours dinking aound with three of the heaviest, hardest to split pieces I could find, but they are big! lol

We see it all during firewood season. There is some places that open up and it's nuts like deer season.

Last edited:
Thanks Burvol. Biggest round's in split were 4ft, tilted the splitter up and chunked them up, those are some heavy SOB's, the back wasn't happy with me but its good wood, it was all frozen or I don't think it would have worked.

The 660 is a year old and it still looks pretty clean surprisingly. That saw with a 32" is a good combo, small saws don't do it for me. 20" she rips right threw the hardwood.

Thanks Burvol. Biggest round's in split were 4ft, tilted the splitter up and chunked them up, those are some heavy SOB's, the back wasn't happy with me but its good wood, it was all frozen or I don't think it would have worked.

The 660 is a year old and it still looks pretty clean surprisingly. That saw with a 32" is a good combo, small saws don't do it for me. 20" she rips right threw the hardwood.

I've been guilty of cutting some big rounds, but I go for 12" pieces in that stuff. I tend to have more options than others on wood, so I usually hold out until I find some really nice stuff later in the year.

There is no doubt good wood in some big rounds. I was just pointing out that most of the big rounds in my area are left over from logging. There are short pieces (3-10 feet) sometimes that were bucked out of the butt logs for defect or sweep, or pistol butt, ect. Those are some of the heaviest, crappiest pieces of wood to deal with. They are heavy and split like crap. You should see it when there is some fresh blowdown in firewood areas. Maggots on it quick!

I've been guilty of cutting some big rounds, but I go for 12" pieces in that stuff. I tend to have more options than others on wood, so I usually hold out until I find some really nice stuff later in the year.

There is no doubt good wood in some big rounds. I was just pointing out that most of the big rounds in my area are left over from logging. There are short pieces (3-10 feet) sometimes that were bucked out of the butt logs for defect or sweep, or pistol butt, ect. Those are some of the heaviest, crappiest pieces of wood to deal with. They are heavy and split like crap. You should see it when there is some fresh blowdown in firewood areas. Maggots on it quick!

ohh, when I get to some stuff that aint splitting right I just toss it, I have more then enough but I didn't want to let those rounds go to waist.

Burvol...

Yeah, we definitely have an advantage when it comes to picking and choosing wood. Those big rounds look macho in the back of some city guy's pickup but all I can think of is back pain from rasslin' those suckers up there. I'm like you, I'll take that smaller stuff every time. Especially if it's oak or madrone.

I usually make a little deal with the guys on the skidders and they'll roadside some good stuff for me to cut up on the way home. A case of good beer or a package of home-grown steaks really pays off.

It never fails. I only cut the stuff that has been sitting a while. This has been on the list for a month. I start and somebody'll show up and start telling me that they were thinking about cutting it. That happened again today. I talked to them a while. Showed them the rocks that were hidden.
But I'm not cutting that stuff anymore, unless things are desperate and I feel like filing practice.

Yes, I see the trophy saws all the time. I like to keep mine out of sight, out of mind. That is one item that'll disappear if not locked up.

The Used Dog told me that he thinks Collyfonia dogs are kind of stuck up and rude. :) He prefers his friends up here.

Yes, I do have to have a stinkin' permit. I went by the wood cop on my way in and honked at him.

Last edited:
It never fails. I only cut the stuff that has been sitting a while. This has been on the list for a month. I start and somebody'll show up and start telling me that they were thinking about cutting it. That happened again today. I talked to them a while. Showed them the rocks that were hidden.
But I'm not cutting that stuff anymore, unless things are desperate and I feel like filing practice.

Yes, I see the trophy saws all the time. I like to keep mine out of sight, out of mind. That is one item that'll disappear if not locked up.

The Used Dog told me that he thinks Collyfonia dogs are kind of stuck up and rude. :) He prefers his friends up here.

Yes, I do have to have a stinkin' permit. I went by the wood cop on my way in and honked at him.

LOL. . . Just funnin' with ya slowp.

I may have found a way to nab some hardwoods from the city here (all legal like). . . I'll be like a pig in poo burning hardwoods instead of Larch or Fir.

I've never burnt the hard stuff before, and I'm excited to see what the hubbub is all about. :)

Yeah, we definitely have an advantage when it comes to picking and choosing wood. Those big rounds look macho in the back of some city guy's pickup but all I can think of is back pain from rasslin' those suckers up there. I'm like you, I'll take that smaller stuff every time. Especially if it's oak or madrone.

I usually make a little deal with the guys on the skidders and they'll roadside some good stuff for me to cut up on the way home. A case of good beer or a package of home-grown steaks really pays off.

I like trees 12"-14" on the butt. . . Most of the tree you can burn in rounds.

Less splitting and it burns longer. :D

Latest posts

Back