Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relief.:clap: I was worried that the California trip was too much for her. She needs to work some more on Saturday, but I will be working in smaller wood that won't need so much splitting. I hate splitting wood out in the woods!:chainsaw: Splitting should be done at a leisurly pace by the woodpile,where one is not to far from the refrigerator.

Pretty well. There's a lot to like about OR vs. CA.

We have been surprised (in a very good way) at the high caliber of medical care that my wife is able to get here for all of her problems, conditions & disease processes. Quite a bit better than even what she was getting at Loma Linda or in San Diego. :clap:

They have told themselves that they are the best so long that they began to believe it.
There is better health care in AL than in SoCal.

My Brother-in-law was using them in Alaska, and he did say that you had to be nice to them, but his biggest problem was on the big Red Cedar snags (mostly the stobs) You know how they slab when you are sawin on em? Well he said that on some of those really big heavy snags that tend to do that, that it was real easy to bend em. Everything else was good though.

.That was something I was wondering about ! I have made GOOD money with those red cedar snag stobs ... I've also heard of them having 3 bars sticking out of them !!! I guess if a guy kept his spare bar as a regular Power Match , and changed out if he had some real crappy stuff to fall ..... I wouldn,t run one in a blowdown patch .. I hate even having a new bar on in blowdown ........ They would prolly be real nice in good clean wood , especially if it,s limby ... Thats pretty much what it is like here , LOTS OF LIMBS !!! but there is enough ash that regular bars wear out fast ... I,ve got a very good deal on full synthetic 10-30 wt Napa motor oil , it,s as cheap as I can get bar oil . It has really reduced my bar and chain wear ....

Last edited:

I guess if a guy kept his spare bar as a regular Power Match , and changed out if he had some real crappy stuff to fall .....

Good plan. The reduced weight bars are great if you remember how easily you can ding one and work accordingly.

Have you checked the prices on them???!!! Put out that kind of money and it makes you real careful.

How would they hold up for (dare i say) boring big hardwood. I can tell you right now that our bars can get seriously flexed trying to get a bore in on the uphill side while still having a respectably low stump, mother earth can get in the way, she can be rather slanted....

How about the sugihara bars?

And..... WHY IN THE WORLD DO THE POWERMATCH BARS HAVE THE STUPID ####IN HOLES IN THEM NOW THAT EVENTUALLY ALWAYS POP OUT AND THEN FOREVER BIND WITH SAWDUST IN YOUR CUT??????? I figure its for milling them out, something in their manufacture, but I think I'm gonna have to quit using them. I JB Weld them over once they pop out but those pop out too, eventually. I can get Stihl bars the same price, the only reason I dont use them all the time is the replacement tips are about $31 vs. about $14 for the Oregon tips

Last edited:
How would they hold up for (dare i say) boring big hardwood. I can tell you right now that our bars can get seriously flexed trying to get a bore in on the uphill side while still having a respectably low stump, mother earth can get in the way, she can be rather slanted....

And..... WHY IN THE WORLD DO THE POWERMATCH BARS HAVE THE STUPID ####IN HOLES IN THEM NOW THAT EVENTUALLY ALWAYS POP OUT AND THEN FOREVER BIND WITH SAWDUST IN YOUR CUT??????? I figure its for milling them out, something in their manufacture, but I think I'm gonna have to quit using them. I JB Weld them over once they pop out but those pop out too, eventually. I can get Stihl bars the same price, the only reason I dont use them all the time is the replacement tips are about $31 vs. about $14 for the Oregon tips

Yea. Why do oregon bars have that pencil sized hole in them? Drives me CRAZY. .

Oh yeah. Those wholes in the Oregon bars get caught on all kinds of stuff. Limbing up a White Fir with all of the dead under branches. PITA. I run with Stihl bars, RW bars and the older Oregon half moon shaped tip bars.

Since the talk is kinda about saws now, and I just did some pro bono work with The Barbie Saw after work, I will ask this.

The Barbie Saw seems to be incontinent and is leaking bar oil. She was sitting in about a 3 inch square puddle since I last used her on Saturday.
I filled her up and buried the bar in a bigger than normal blowdown this afternoon. It was dark when we finished, and I was soaking wet so I didn't see if all was well after. The wood was dirty so the chain is dull again.

Should I worry? Or should I slap some Depends on her when she is not at work?

Slowp, I don't think you have to worry about it....................But.................I think you're just going to have to face the fact that you are going to have to invest in another saw.
The Barbie Saw would be much happier with a Ken Saw sitting next to her. I think you would see a vast improvement in her performance. :jawdrop:

Andy

Those holes are locating hole for the machine process. I really do wish they would make them smaller and weld them up. I have been known to tack the plug in and grind it back smooth. But usually a few licks with a soft hammer on the anvil will keep them tight.
I used to get Oregon Pro or something bars that where unpainted bright metal that where much better than PowerMatch bars but can't seem to find them any more.

Those holes are locating hole for the machine process. I really do wish they would make them smaller and weld them up. I have been known to tack the plug in and grind it back smooth. But usually a few licks with a soft hammer on the anvil will keep them tight.
I used to get Oregon Pro or something bars that where unpainted bright metal that where much better than PowerMatch bars but can't seem to find them any more.

I have not seen plugs in the machining holes on the Windsor bars; however, the holes do appear to be welded over.

Slowp, I don't think you have to worry about it....................But.................I think you're just going to have to face the fact that you are going to have to invest in another saw.
The Barbie Saw would be much happier with a Ken Saw sitting next to her. I think you would see a vast improvement in her performance. :jawdrop:

Andy

I think you're right. She ran my Slingr' 660 while she was down here on vacation. Think that might be her next purchase?

I should get a bigger saw. Because after running that beast, The Barbie Saw felt light as a feather. Hey, come on up, I have some firewood to go get tomorrow. :)

I'll just send the saw. Send it back when you're done. The way our weather looks I won't be needing it for awhile.

I use the Oregon Pros' too. I was always told by every saw shop (that didn't have the Pro's!) that they're exactly the same as the Power Match's, but I never had any luck with the Power Match's.

I'll just send the saw. Send it back when you're done. The way our weather looks I won't be needing it for awhile.

Why? You guys get'n all melty and mushy?

We started weight restrictions here. . . Spring breakup here we come! :clap:

Why? You guys get'n all melty and mushy?

We started weight restrictions here. . . Spring breakup here we come! :clap:

A little of everything. I'm mudded out of one job and snowed out of another. Right now it's raining in a 100 mile radius. Good time to catch up on home projects and practice being retired.

LOL...it's the same thing every year. About the middle of August I'll look back on this time and wish I'd kicked back and just enjoyed the time off.

Logger stuff...grumble when you're working, grumble when you're not...you've been there, you know how it goes. :)

Latest posts

Back