Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm down for a while. Mudded out of one job, snowed out of another. It's okay though...I'm practicing up for being fully retired. :clap:

Get ready, cause me and the other log cutters here will ride you to Tennessee for whatever we can....

I would like to pick up some small private gypo jobs this summer if the price of wood comes up, you can come up and run them. Got a nice D4, but you have to pull line :(

That would be fun!

Bob, we're gonna work together weather you like it or not!!! LOL :cheers:

LOLOL...Okay...I'll be the guy that sits in the pickup and tells everybody what they're doing wrong. Wait a minute...somebody on TV already got that job...guess I better tune up the saws and grease up my boots. Dammit.

And pulling line? That builds character. Just keep telling yourself that when you're walking it out for the fifty-third time that day. :) You notice that I said when you're walking it out"....as in you, not me. I'm still running a winch on my 6 and if I'm working by myself I get all the exercise I can use.

And Tennessee? If that's anywhere East of Reno I probably couldn't find my way back. Reno, maybe Sparks, is as far East as I go these days. LOLOL

Last edited:
LOLOL...Okay...I'll be the guy that sits in the pickup and tells everybody what they're doing wrong. Wait a minute...somebody on TV already got that job...guess I better tune up the saws and grease up my boots. Dammit.

And pulling line? That builds character. Just keep telling yourself that when you're walking it out for the fifty-third time that day. :)

I was gonna give you all the glory!

You cut, I buck.

You sit on the kitty, I pull line....and chase you to the landing with every turn.

I know for a fact that domestic prices just jumped up here, and they are suppose to keep going up. There is a new #2 and #3 saw market in China that just opened up...made our domestic rise in price here. I'm gonna put out some feelers for some small private jobs. Hell, you actually make money logging like that, especially when there is export timber involved. :cheers:

Thanks...but there's those who'd argue with you about that. How are you and the PNW getting along?

Pretty well. There's a lot to like about OR vs. CA.

We have been surprised (in a very good way) at the high caliber of medical care that my wife is able to get here for all of her problems, conditions & disease processes. Quite a bit better than even what she was getting at Loma Linda or in San Diego. :clap:

I was gonna give you all the glory!

You cut, I buck.

You sit on the kitty, I pull line....and chase you to the landing with every turn.

I know for a fact that domestic prices just jumped up here, and they are suppose to keep going up. There is a new #2 and #3 saw market in China that just opened up...made our domestic rise in price here. I'm gonna put out some feelers for some small private jobs. Hell, you actually make money logging like that, especially when there is export timber involved. :cheers:

:ices_rofl: Yup...I knew it. You're thinking exactly like a bunch of guys I know down here. They'll call me up for a few days of falling that turns into an all summer long job. I guess I haven't explained "semi-retired" well enough.

It's all good, though. Better to have too much work than not enough. I have a bunch of stuff on the books for this season if the weather gives us any help. But this is IT...after this season I'm going to really be semi-retired. I'll just quit answering the damn phone. :)

:ices_rofl: Yup...I knew it. You're thinking exactly like a bunch of guys I know down here. They'll call me up for a few days of falling that turns into an all summer long job. I guess I haven't explained "semi-retired" well enough.

It's all good, though. Better to have too much work than not enough. I have a bunch of stuff on the books for this season if the weather gives us any help. But this is IT...after this season I'm going to really be semi-retired. I'll just quit answering the damn phone. :)

That works, ringer on silent. I'm clawing together a few days here and there a week for now. Might go in the other direction (NE of here)and cut for a different outfit tommorrow. It's crazy how 10-50 miles can make a huge difference in the wood (you know what I'm talking about). Not just size, species and quality, but the hardness on the butt and the wieght. The stuff up in the heart of the Cascades is some of the best fir ever to stump. Super creamy. Love it. The epic brush sucks though.

A Pickanick in da Woods

Yup, here's from today. This is the slope I go down and then up. This is why our knees grind.
attachment.php

At the bottom. There's always some blowdown to hop and skip about in.
attachment.php

When you see trash, you know you are getting close to the road on top of the unit.
attachment.php

The view on the way in--nope, no logging over there. The knees will survive for another day.

attachment.php

Slowp ; thats pretty good ground .!!! Nice and open with the closed canopy .....
So what happens when you pop out a face with the LW or RW bars ???
Hi Tramp, I'm not trying to hijack slowp's response, but I have been told that the aluminum center could possibly come loose or come out. I have also heard that these bars will bend easier. So far, I have not personally used a reduced weight bar, but would be interested in some of the facts from people who have used them. I haven't been completely happy with the regular Power Match Plus bars and currently am using Windsor and Carlton. Pretty hard to pass up the special Bailey's is offering on Carlton bars. I picked up a 32" Carlton for $58.00 which included shipping.

Hi Tramp, I'm not trying to hijack slowp's response, but I have been told that the aluminum center could possibly come loose or come out. I have also heard that these bars will bend easier. So far, I have not personally used a reduced weight bar, but would be interested in some of the facts from people who have used them. I haven't been completely happy with the regular Power Match Plus bars and currently am using Windsor and Carlton. Pretty hard to pass up the special Bailey's is offering on Carlton bars. I picked up a 32" Carlton for $58.00 which included shipping.

Your right on both counts. I haven't used them either, but some of my guys have. They do like them, but yeah, like Burvol said, you have to be nice to them! The weight difference is quite noticeable though.

Your right on both counts. I haven't used them either, but some of my guys have. They do like them, but yeah, like Burvol said, you have to be nice to them! The weight difference is quite noticeable though.

:agree2: That's pretty much the same thing I've heard. My 395XP has pretty good balance even with the regular 32" bar. So far, I'm satisfied with the Carlton bar as the rails don't appear to be as soft as the Power Match plus or Windsor............... time will tell though.

Slowp ; thats pretty good ground .!!! Nice and open with the closed canopy .....
So what happens when you pop out a face with the LW or RW bars ???

My Brother-in-law was using them in Alaska, and he did say that you had to be nice to them, but his biggest problem was on the big Red Cedar snags (mostly the stobs) You know how they slab when you are sawin on em? Well he said that on some of those really big heavy snags that tend to do that, that it was real easy to bend em. Everything else was good though.

I have no major complaints with them at all :cheers:

Since the talk is kinda about saws now, and I just did some pro bono work with The Barbie Saw after work, I will ask this.

The Barbie Saw seems to be incontinent and is leaking bar oil. She was sitting in about a 3 inch square puddle since I last used her on Saturday.
I filled her up and buried the bar in a bigger than normal blowdown this afternoon. It was dark when we finished, and I was soaking wet so I didn't see if all was well after. The wood was dirty so the chain is dull again.

Should I worry? Or should I slap some Depends on her when she is not at work?

Since the talk is kinda about saws now, and I just did some pro bono work with The Barbie Saw after work, I will ask this.

The Barbie Saw seems to be incontinent and is leaking bar oil. She was sitting in about a 3 inch square puddle since I last used her on Saturday.
I filled her up and buried the bar in a bigger than normal blowdown this afternoon. It was dark when we finished, and I was soaking wet so I didn't see if all was well after. The wood was dirty so the chain is dull again.

Should I worry? Or should I slap some Depends on her when she is not at work?

A little bar oil is no big deal. Sometimes the seals will go bad in your oil pump, but that is not what it sounds like with barbie...slap some depends on her, or I prefer to have them sitting on some plywood or a rag when they are in my saw shop.

Latest posts

Back