Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A map is requested ..

The problem with living up here , but knowing lots of people from " down south " is spatially challenging brain activity ...... IE . is the Siuslaw by Forks , or Eugene . and where is Humbolt County . Is it anywhere near Libby ? How far south did the big timber grow ?????
Sombody needs to do up a map of AS members .... It's not quite like I live in a forign country .. Maybe just ( another country )

Tramp, find the CA/OR border at the coast, run your finger down the map to that big lump that sticks out, that should be Cape Mendocino, you have found Humboldt County. There were big trees south of San Francisco, as you go north, the timber increases in size, Del Norte County has some of the largest trees anywhere.

My northern neighbors don't like to admit it but there are trees all the way to the Mexican border.
Here is a link to a few pics that Joe Wood posted of trees in San Bernardino Mts, just east and a little south of LA. You can look out and see LA and Catalina Island if the smog will blow out and to the east you can see Vegas from Butler Peak. I spent the better part of six years working in this area.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60669
In San Diego County, the farthest south county in CA I have cut quite a few 80+ DBH trees. I have seen several three log loads that had one big log and two small ones.
The biggest trees in the world are just east of Fresno CA which is a long way south of San Francisco.
The southern Sierra's not far from Bakersfield have some incredible timber.
There are more trees, A lot more trees as you go north. But the islands of timber all the way to Mexico have some quality trees in them, especially in the north facing canyons.
South of the border I can't say I have never been in the mountains there.

The southern Sierra's not far from Bakersfield have some incredible timber. .

Yup. Johnsondale...if I remember right. I was down there in the early 80's on a helicopter sale. I thought at first it was some kind of a joke when they sent me there...especially when I got to Kernville and hadn't seen anything but sagebrush.

My northern neighbors don't like to admit it but there are trees all the way to the Mexican border.
Here is a link to a few pics that Joe Wood posted of trees in San Bernardino Mts, just east and a little south of LA. You can look out and see LA and Catalina Island if the smog will blow out and to the east you can see Vegas from Butler Peak. I spent the better part of six years working in this area.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60669
In San Diego County, the farthest south county in CA I have cut quite a few 80+ DBH trees. I have seen several three log loads that had one big log and two small ones.

I missed out on a big wood job in Tehachapi...busted my leg just before we were supposed to go there...I was looking forward to it:cry:

The biggest trees in the world are just east of Fresno CA which is a long way south of San Francisco.
The southern Sierra's not far from Bakersfield have some incredible timber.

I had the privilege of driving through the Sierra Redwoods...You are correct...largest diameter trees in the world! They were amazing...could not believe how little taper they have until the top (gun barrels)

South of the border I can't say I have never been in the mountains there.

My buddy Todd worked on a helicopter logging job in Mexico. He said that it was all in the higher elevations...mostly Pine I think? The guy who set the job up, ran off with everybody's pay though!

1266882735.jpg

Top of my strip today, really steep unit. I wanted to get Mt. Hood in it, but I missed. A picture anyway (didn't have too much time today), yay for logs to cut!

A steep day for me too. Digging in the heels of the Kuliens, ripping down old flagging, putting up new...Flailing back up through the Salal, which makes for a weak belay.

Don't sound like a day off. :(

Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories with us east coasters.

1266882735.jpg

Top of my strip today, really steep unit. I wanted to get Mt. Hood in it, but I missed. A picture anyway (didn't have too much time today), yay for logs to cut!

:cheers:

You're a lucky man get'n to be out in the brush knocking down pumpkins.

How's the unit? Are you in the juice?

Last edited:
Yup. Johnsondale...if I remember right. I was down there in the early 80's on a helicopter sale. I thought at first it was some kind of a joke when they sent me there...especially when I got to Kernville and hadn't seen anything but sagebrush.

Oh man Johnsondale is just the edge of it if I remember right. Did you ever make it up to the head waters of the Kern River or the Tule River above Porterville? There is some of the most incredible timber I have ever seen. But most of it is on fed land. It is like the good stuff around Yosimite.
Speaking of wich that is some mouth watering timber and a lot of it on good ground with almost no brush!:jawdrop:

1266882735.jpg

Nice pic man! Awesome that you have some trees to kill. I am going to have to try one of those bars some day :)

Those bars are slick. The rails are substantually harder than regular Oregon bars, one of the big reasons I run them. Regular Oregon bars are complete #### now.

RW bars keep you honest. You will throw chains if you try limb at too severe of an angle (what forms pig ears anyway), and you will destroy them if your not a good bucker, hence keeping you honest. I love them. Huskys don't really need the balance as much as Stihls do. Stihls are substantually more nose heavy.

Those bars are slick. The rails are substantually harder than regular Oregon bars, one of the big reasons I run them. Regular Oregon bars are complete #### now.

RW bars keep you honest. You will throw chains if you try limb at too severe of an angle (what forms pig ears anyway), and you will destroy them if your not a good bucker, hence keeping you honest. I love them. Huskys don't really need the balance as much as Stihls do. Stihls are substantually more nose heavy.

sure are! maybe ill get a RW for the 46 when it's done.

Don't try to pop out the undercut with one either. Guess how I found that out.:) I've gone back to the regular bars...at least for now. Old habits are hard to break.

Don't try to pop out the undercut with one either. Guess how I found that out.:) I've gone back to the regular bars...at least for now. Old habits are hard to break.

See what I mean? keep you honest with your cuts LOL :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back