Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob, that saw sounds incredible!

Yes it does. We have Treeslingr' to thank for that. I'm not really aware of how it sounds until somebody else is running it and I can get back away from it a ways. The little camera I'm using for the videos doesn't really have good sound... you should hear it in person.

The main thing is...it cuts great.

Hey Bob I have a video of yor saw look familiar.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hmOE2X4A66k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hmOE2X4A66k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Having too much fun on days off!

1261951370.jpg

Screw fire wood!!!! Don't mechanics drive crappy cars and carpenters live in unfinished houses??? LOL

Yes. You'd better check your fun meter. It might be running low! I agree on the firewood, that's why my pile isn't very big and I will see what my electric bill is.:eek:

Sigh, I have to go in to work tomorrow. Gotta pay that power bill. But it is only a FOUR DAY WEEK!:clap:

Bob,
I truly admire you for cutting wood on days off. I usually don't cut much wood until I can't get out of the unit with out a load of wood for traction in the wet snow (I'm joking).

I prefer to take small select amounts home throughout the season, when I can. Shopping for perfect buckskin maple is what takes the most time for me. After a month or two, you have what you need for wood...all on the way home. No wasted trip! Of course this never happens when there is some species of Salmon running my favorite river. I have a short window with no fishing to get wood! LOL

Bob,
I truly admire you for cutting wood on days off. I usually don't cut much wood until I can't get out of the unit with out a load of wood for traction in the wet snow (I'm joking).

I prefer to take small select amounts home throughout the season, when I can. Shopping for perfect buckskin maple is what takes the most time for me. After a month or two, you have what you need for wood...all on the way home. No wasted trip! Of course this never happens when there is some species of Salmon running my favorite river. I have a short window with no fishing to get wood! LOL

Yup, that's usually the way I do it too. I'm always on the lookout for oak or madrone...especially when they're opening up roads or carving out a new landing. A kind word and a six-pack for the skidder guy usually gets the wood layed out where I can snag some on the way out. ;)

My day off cutting was for a friend. Actually, I got fed a home cooked Christmas dinner for my labor. :clap: I think I got the better of that deal.

Do those fish you're getting take well to freezing? If so I'll bum you for a fish dinner when I get up that way.

Yup, that's usually the way I do it too. I'm always on the lookout for oak or madrone...especially when they're opening up roads or carving out a new landing. A kind word and a six-pack for the skidder guy usually gets the wood layed out where I can snag some on the way out. ;)

My day off cutting was for a friend. Actually, I got fed a home cooked Christmas dinner for my labor. :clap: I think I got the better of that deal.

Do those fish you're getting take well to freezing? If so I'll bum you for a fish dinner when I get up that way.

So are we all meeting at Jesses for new years we have a big 10# rib roast to go with the fish.

There is a bumper sticker company next door to the carriage barn. Most of us have one that says,
"Everybody wants to get back to nature,
"but nobody wants to go on foot"

I've got one that says: "Hug a logger............you'll never go back to trees!"

So are we all meeting at Jesses for new years we have a big 10# rib roast to go with the fish.

Great idea. We'll leave the saws home and have a food GTG. Darn saws are too much like work anyway. I'll bring a couple of bags of fresh oranges.

Might want to check with Burvol's lady, though. If fifty people show up all at once, even if they're all carrying food, well...that boy might go to work the next day with knuckle bumps all over him. :)

Well, I do have huckleberries to make a pie with. I got a pie plate all cleaned up from the weekend, and the other one should be empty now. You can't get more PNWish than salmon and huckleberries. Well, some of us have to go to work now. I think I may start work on the pickup initiation road we walked on Saturday. It is on a south facing slope so if that strange bright orb is out, it might be pleasant.

Have a good day fishing. :(

I think today is my last day off for the week. I'm gonna go back and cut logs in the snow tommorrow, and hopefully I'll have some pictures. No fishing today, I have a saw from my BIL to work on and some of my cutting tools that need attention.

I am really hoping that the PNW GTG is in the end of May....I will have some fresh Spring Chinook that will make you squirt a tear it's so good. You'll cry when you realize you just can't go buy it unless you want to spend around 28 bucks a pound at the market up by Brian. Columbia River Spring Chinook (and it's tributaries) is widely regarded as the best eating salmon in the world, and it is. No joke!!! The meat looks fake. It has so much oil that is light and sweet that it lends the fillettes the hot red color with the plastic look from all the oil compacting the meat together. The bigger ones do almost look like plastic. It's so darn good! Porkchop of the river. The sweet oil has no fishy-ness to it all, just sweet flaky goodness. The GTG fish is the only Springer I will share! I'll try for two adults to bring or some big (8-10lbs.) Jacks.

OK, I made enough $$ today to buy more piecrusts. When and where? Will that salmon be cooked on alder slabs? Cedar? Smoked?

Here's today's lunch views.
attachment.php

I have been to the top of Tongue Mtn. That is the rocky thing to the left of Mt Adams. There's quite a scary dropoff on all sides, and a great view. Gonna have to go up again.
attachment.php

A fairly recent (1990ish) steep clearcut.
attachment.php

There was a little bit of snow to stick to the Kuliens this morning.
attachment.php

I really tried to cut straight today. Well, it was a little bit of an improvement.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Pettin Biggie

Seven foot Sturgeon, the picture doesn't really show how big around the fish is. It took me almost 40 minutes to land it.
1262539358.jpg

1262571638.jpg

1262571695.jpg

Yep Yep!

Those sturgeons are some prehistoric lookin fish, We have them here in our rivers. That's a nice one though. Look like you had some heavy tackle to catch it with.

That river is full of Sturgeon and they are great eats. I had an employee whose husband caught one of those off Astoria, Oregon, about that size. They took it home and threw it in the little pool they had to keep it fresh while they put things away. When they went out to get it, it was swimming around the pool, very much alive. Her husband chased it around the pool for a while until he got smart and drained the pool.

Talk about prehistoric fish. I was at about 65 feet off Cozumel Island and saw a school of barracudas, now we are talking prehistoric. They looked like metal armour and their jaw look mechanical. They were dark steel blue. I just watched in awe. Had never seen anything like that. Anyway if you have never seen or experienced the Columbia river and the sites along it one should, it is a magnificant river. Now I am waiting for an invite for sturgeon dinner. Hope it comes soon.

Back