Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, my big sister had me terrified to do any waterskiing or swimming in our part of the Columbia. Between her tales of "there are BIG monster fish behind the dams waiting to eat you." and my mom's and teachers telling us to stay away from the river or you'll drown, there was no way. And, unfortunatly, a classmate did drown one summer while playing in "the river."

That's what we called it, "The River." My dad worked in the construction of a few of the dams on the river. I guess he made deep hidey holes for the monster fish. Thats why that river is special.

Seven foot Sturgeon, the picture doesn't really show how big around the fish is. It took me almost 40 minutes to land it.
1262539358.jpg

1262571638.jpg

1262571695.jpg

That looks like the giant killer fish I saw on MonsterQuest.

We figured he was between 280-300 lbs. We have hooked some 10 foot plus in this hole (9 last year) and some that we never see (break off). 12 foot 6 is the biggest out of my group from the bank, my buddy Robert caught him a few years back. That was a big fish. Talking 1000-1200 pounds. Robert is 330lbs, so he's got the back to put into them. Sturgeon fishing is fun this time of year when there is no salmon. When the Spring run comes, this becomes a waste of time...but it's really fun now!

They eat like crap over about 5 feet. The smaller keeper sized fish are the ones you eat. I just like to harrrass the wildlife like white man has done for centuries...LOL

They eat like crap over about 5 feet. The smaller keeper sized fish are the ones you eat. I just like to harrrass the wildlife like white man has done for centuries...LOL

Ever smoke a sturgeon? Let me rephrase that....LOL...ever eat smoke sturgeon? A lot of the ones we get down here wind up that way.

Fish torture!!:):cheers:

Oh ya, we make war on them every winter.

You can't take biggie out of the water. We don't. They are magnifecent fish, and it really makes a guy think about handling the juvenille fish with care, so they have a shot at that size or bigger...if I don't catch them at keeper size (38"-54" from fork of tail to nose, old measurement pre 2009, 42"-60" from tip of tail to nose).

Ever smoke a sturgeon? Let me rephrase that....LOL...ever eat smoke sturgeon? A lot of the ones we get down here wind up that way.

Smoked sturg is pretty good. I like to fillette boneless, skinless, no fat, them cube them up. Par boil in a salt/sugar/water for 4 minutes on a rolling boil, cool, then batter in Pride of the West brand batter and deep fry in the Fry Daddy until the batter is dark enough to your liking.

You are starting to worry me. Better check your fun meter. It might be overcharged.

I'll trade places and you can drain your fun meter by sitting in on a meeting this morning. :deadhorse:

I will try not to lose my temper.

I'm going through cookie withdrawel too. :chainsawguy:

Oh don't you worry Slowp, I'm headed out to pet Biggie again this morning!!! I'll think of you today and smile. What's up with all the chainsaw worship and stuff like that on here? I'm almost nautious coming back from some other threads this morning. People trying to be manly with their saws, LOL :deadhorse:

Oh don't you worry Slowp, I'm headed out to pet Biggie again this morning!!! I'll think of you today and smile. What's up with all the chainsaw worship and stuff like that on here? I'm almost nautious coming back from some other threads this morning. People trying to be manly with their saws, LOL :deadhorse:

I try to be girly. My backup plan? I'll go out and it'll be, but not on film, Kill Baby Alders, With a Vengeance. Maybe "Lop Hard, 2".

Go get some fish. Somebody needs to. :dizzy:

What's up with all the chainsaw worship and stuff like that on here? I'm almost nautious coming back from some other threads this morning. People trying to be manly with their saws, LOL :deadhorse:

LOLOL...It's called AS Burnout. You get it after reading the 97th "which saw should I buy" post in two days. There seems be a lot of that going around.

It is a little scary though to think about how many people there are who just go buy a saw and, with no real experience, start gnawing on trees. We opened up a piece of ground to firewood cutters last year and the first day it looked like an invading Mongolian Army. The forester in charge of the area shut it down after the first day, too. Too much potential for liability and too many close calls. He said he wished he'd made a video of all the chainsaw bloopers...it would have been hilarious if it hadn't been so dangerous.

Lol....you just need to get yourself a cute little paint brush and some tuperware containers and you could be manly with your saw. LMAO

Pettin' Biggie II

1262811453.jpg

7 Foot 2 inch

1262791684.jpg

7 foot 7 inch Robert's fish

We caught these back to back 01/05/10

Last edited:
Back