Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today the Mole People are outdoors. The unusual brightness is hard on our eyes. We must work outdoors today because the weather forecast is for Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain...after today. If one of the many storms stalls over us, they are mentioning the F word. So we work outside.

attachment.php

This is the temporary pad for the hot tub. I'm making it out of rubble from an old patio that was on this place. It is so much easier to do work on it when it isn't drizzly! But it still is nasty work. I almost have it completed.

attachment.php

The Used Dog is in constant "throw the ball for me" mode. He too, is making up for the wet days spent under cover.

attachment.php

Is that 5/8" plywood? You are ready for fire I see.

I know this will be out of date soon, but check out this storm, it's off Cape Mendo, headed my way
http://www.wunderground.com/radar/r....val=0&setprefs.7.key=RADSMO&setprefs.7.val=0

3/4" Fir from peelers I cut myself! I got an extra piece left over for another lid when this one goes bad. Nothing too crazy, but it works really well. I have all the room I need. I went ahead and made it carry my fire tools as well. I am required to carry fire tools most of the year per my contract. It pleases me to have all must stuff ready to go for another season.

That storm looks like it could bring us more mud. :popcorn:

It worries me to see you ready for fire season this early.:eek:

I've been enjoying the easy getting around in the woods, but am worried about the shortage of snow. The snow line has been receding for most of January and is continuing.

Fire season may not be postponed this year. It usually is.

Here's my project made last weekend. :D The curtains are in. Now for some color. If I leave the "entertainment center" switch on, the battery will drain overnight.

attachment.php

3/4" Fir from peelers I cut myself! I got an extra piece left over for another lid when this one goes bad. Nothing too crazy, but it works really well. I have all the room I need. I went ahead and made it carry my fire tools as well. I am required to carry fire tools most of the year per my contract. It pleases me to have all must stuff ready to go for another season.

That storm looks like it could bring us more mud. :popcorn:

Nice lookin saw box man! Not sure if you have heard of it, but a good friend of mine in Alaska was a commercial fisherman, and used plywood to build a lot of the doors and other structures on his boat, and he would paint it with some epoxy stuff and maybe something else? Any how, it made it completely waterproof, and looked a lot like fiberglass when he was finished. If interested, let me know and I will find out his recipe.

Nice lookin saw box man! Not sure if you have heard of it, but a good friend of mine in Alaska was a commercial fisherman, and used plywood to build a lot of the doors and other structures on his boat, and he would paint it with some epoxy stuff and maybe something else? Any how, it made it completely waterproof, and looked a lot like fiberglass when he was finished. If interested, let me know and I will find out his recipe.

Thanks, I am interested. I have been thinking about a roll on Rhino or Dura linning application.

Nice Saw box !!! If you want it so it can,t rot it needs to be sealed from the air . Epoxy is the only thing I know of that will do that ....Renn Tolman from Homer pioneered the ( stich and glue ) epoxy impregnated plywood skiffs .. He wrote and published a book with the process .... Basically you cut all the parts to what you are going to build . Then you mix the Epoxy and saturate all sides , ends ect. of all the parts and let it soak in and cure .. It takes a dry heated space where the temp can be kept at like 75 degrees F for a couple days ... Then you assemble the parts with more epoxy as the bonding agent , possibly assisted by some screws and that needs to fully cure ... Then it all gets 1 more good coat of epoxy .. Then Paint .. It has to be painted because the sunlight deteriorates epoxy , but if you keep it painted it will pretty much last for ever .... http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/ .. He is a boat builder , but as Cody said of his friend building things on his boat with epoxy ........., The technology is basically the same.......
. I hope I didn,t muddy the waters too much ..

There's some kind of stuff that soaks into the wood called CPES. It is an epoxy.

The kayak kits use fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Most of them are NOT painted. Maybe they are kept out of sunlight when not being used like I do with my plastic boats?

I think the rhinocoat stuff would be the easiest. It'll blend in with the oil too.

Hey , other than not being a prik , how doyou guys get all them sunballs .. I thot it was related to rep but I havn,t seen anyone get one that I gave rep to . and some people who are newer and with alot fewer post have 2 handfulls of sunballs

Just pushed you to the edge of another Nova. . . Now you just need a little nudge.

Thanks, I am interested. I have been thinking about a roll on Rhino or Dura linning application.

The rhino lining sounds like a good idea. I just got off the phone with my buddy in Alaska...guess his mixture was not as complicated as I thought...just epoxy resin, and he said a guy should paint over it to keep the sun from eroding it.

The rhino lining sounds like a good idea. I just got off the phone with my buddy in Alaska...guess his mixture was not as complicated as I thought...just epoxy resin, and he said a guy should paint over it to keep the sun from eroding it.

Sounds like a plan. You gonna come west this fall???? Take you salmon fishing in paradise :) Just let me know, your more than welcome to come. Just bring some comfortable clothing and what you like to sip. We straight up crush em!

Sounds like a plan. You gonna come west this fall???? Take you salmon fishing in paradise :) Just let me know, your more than welcome to come. Just bring some comfortable clothing and what you like to sip. We straight up crush em!

Sounds good man! Thanks; I might just have to do that. When in the fall?

I have herd bad things about rhino liner and wood, always wanted to try it but never did. If you do let us know. Fiberglass cloth and lots of resin will protect that wood. Like in most boats. wood and lots of fiberglass/ resin. Will rot eventually if there are any holes and it will hold the moister in ....

What i herd the bed liner did was not seal the wood underneath so it rotted?

just some thought before you spend the money. Box looks great!

Latest posts

Back