Mahle vs Meteor - MS440/460 Hybrid Comparison Results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in chicken houses. Only wore shoes in the winter...I can still feel the poop squishing between my toes. Pick up the dead and the legs would fall off...then go to the house and what would my Mother have on the table? Chicken....mmmmmmm, mmmmmmm.I...I miss chicken, and my Mom!

Thanks for the memories I had just about forgotten......couldn't eat chicken for about ten years.

I grew up in chicken houses. Only wore shoes in the winter...I can still feel the poop squishing between my toes. Pick up the dead and the legs would fall off...then go to the house and what would my Mother have on the table? Chicken....mmmmmmm, mmmmmmm.I...I miss chicken, and my Mom!

:msp_scared:That is worse than working Grandad's Hog farm.....cause we had to wear shoes, and you can never have too much bacon. Spent the holiday weekend taking care of Mom's property, and got a rhubarb pie for my efforts. She's 86 and having some struggles, worries me to death. Makes it hard to get too worked up over OEM or AM:dunno:

:msp_scared:...Spent the holiday weekend taking care of Mom's property, and got a rhubarb pie for my efforts. She's 86 and having some struggles, worries me to death. Makes it hard to get too worked up over OEM or AM:dunno:

Love them and serve them as long as you can. There will be a day when you can't pick up the ph and call them or run over to see them; that's when reality bites.

My brother and I always carried our Mom to the farm on the weekends when she moved to assisted living. I will never forget her sitting at the stove on her stool frying chicken, then coming down the road with her walker to tell us it was ready. Then later that day she was playing her piano later that afternoon (she was the church pianist). She was gone the next weekend.

Guys, love'em while you have them!!

FYI, my uncle was the hog farmer and I spent many a day helping my cousins so we could go fishing.

Last edited:
I won't do an AM cylinder. As I like to put it, it's not worth your money or my reputation. If you want to bolt one on stock or play with porting it yourself, that's one thing. But if you're going to invest the cost of having it ported, I wouldn't consider anything other than OEM. You get known quality and performance. AM is a gamble.

So what aftermarket jug is the fastest for a hybrid?
Whichever one you take time to degree and put the right numbers into.
Cause odds are, they won't come to you at exactly what you want.
They are a cheap option to make a saw run though, for those on a tight budget.

It'll take more than the right port timing to make even a Meteor run with OEM. I can't tell you why, simply that the one I ported didn't respond. I put the same porting into an OEM jug and got the results I was expecting. Again, they're a decent option for the DIYer or stock replacement.

It'll take more than the right port timing to make even a Meteor run with OEM. I can't tell you why, simply that the one I ported didn't respond. I put the same porting into an OEM jug and got the results I was expecting. Again, they're a decent option for the DIYer or stock replacement.
Could have been the one you chose, or anything for that matter..
Hell, it could be the length of the transfers or any other multitude of variables..
But yes. They are a cheap option to get back in the game.. And getting cheaper.. I just replaced a P&C on a husky 61 that was roached for a family member. He now has a 52mm, closed port running saw for $39...
Lol...
He don't care if it can outrun an OEM 272..

The last one I tested ran right with a stock early D-chamber 046, on the same saw. They are very much a good alternative for a stock rebuild.
Lumberjackchef here installed a Forrester jug and piston on an 046 with good results also.
No clue who the actual maker is though.
It did have a decent wide squish band, small combustion chamber, and rather tight clearance, giving it somewhere in the neighborhood of 190 lbs of comp when done.
I was surprised at that actually.

You guys do know that is the cylinder's dimensions and measurements are the same, they will run the same, right? All things being exactly the same and there will be no difference in performance. And I mean every measurement would have to be exactly the same, with no defects anywhere, made of the same materials.

Somewhere, the OEM and AM jugs measurements would have to be different, which is possible. Small engines have even tighter clearances than larger engines and even an unmeasurable difference could affect the way the chainsaw performs.

But what do I know? I'm just an engineer.

Latest posts

Back