Maine GTG In Early Fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone asked about the date, yes Saturday the 15th of October. Rain or shine? I would say if it's just scattered showers or sprinkles predicted we should forge on.......a full out rainy day might be cause for cancellation as I don't have any real shelter to offer. Sunday the 16th could be a rain date for those who could pull it off, hopefully it isn't an issue at all.

If someone has a canopy type shelter to park a picnic table under in case it showers, that'd be hunky dory. Just a roof with tie down lines or something simple.

As far as the time, come on over anytime after 7am, the first pilgrims to arrive can assist me in setting up some logs for sawing.

This is turning out to be quite an event.

On a side note, I would want anyone that is planning on sawing or chopping or whatever to bring along full PPE and wear it while doing these things. I have been a tad nervous about this, so my hope is that calm minds will prevail and we'll all have the identical body that we started the day with at the end of the day!

Cantdog, you are very kind in your offer for sea bugs. As much as I enjoy the crustacians, I will probably pass as I expect to be in high demand keeping things rolling for the day and I like to relax when I tear into the bugs! :msp_thumbup:

Let me know on the needs for cooking pots for the lobsters, I have access to at least one propane stand cooker, maybe two.

Last edited:
Hopefully the weather is good enough not to have a rain date.

My brother is gonna take off work on Friday and Monday. The plan is to drive up there (S'about a 10hr drive) all day Friday, goto the GTG on Saturday, head up to Millinocket early Sunday morning and spend the day there + check out Mount Katahdin, stay in Millinocket Sunday night and head home early Monday morning!

So hopefully the weather kicks A. T'would suck if it rains on our parade - but we'll live if we gotta make changes. :)

I will be arriving alone and no need to save me a lobsta,
I don't eat them foolash tangs.
As far as saws i plan to bring, Things could change.

Jonsereds XF and 111S
Mcculloch 797, 797G, and 101B powered geardrive
Homelite 2100, 750
Dolmar 166
Poulan 655BP or Pioneer P60
Mcculloch PM1000 so J Walker can run it
Stihl 090G, and 076 Super

Moss man, Any idea as to what size logs you might have.
Would help me figure on bar lengths. Bigger the better
for me.

Lee

Someone asked about the date, yes Saturday the 15th of October. Rain or shine? I would say if it's just scattered showers or sprinkles predicted we should forge on.......a full out rainy day might be cause for cancellation as I don't have any real shelter to offer. Sunday the 16th could be a rain date for those who could pull it off, hopefully it isn't an issue at all.

If someone has a canopy type shelter to park a picnic table under in case it showers, that'd be hunky dory. Just a roof with tie down lines or something simple.

As far as the time, come on over anytime after 7am, the first pilgrims to arrive can assist me in setting up some logs for sawing.

On a side note, I would want anyone that is planning on sawing or chopping or whatever to bring along full PPE and wear it while doing these things. I have been a tad nervous about this, so my hope is that calm minds will prevail and we'll all have the identical body that we started the day with at the end of the day!

Cantdog, you are very kind in your offer for sea bugs. As much as I enjoy the crustacians, I will probably pass as I expect to be in high demand keeping things rolling for the day and I like to relax when I tear into the bugs! :msp_thumbup:

I have a canopy I can bring. I'm pretty sure it's big enough for a picnic table. I'll have to drag it out and set it up since it's been in storage awhile.

I don't own any chaps, so I guess any saw play is out for me. I'll bring up some saws anyway. I have a hard hat, ear protection and gloves, but that's about it.

Let me know on the needs for cooking pots for the lobsters, I have access to at least one propane stand cooker, maybe two.

All sounds good to me Moss...I do understand the possible liabilitiy issues related to such an event on your property.....I am sure everyone here realizes they are on their own as to their protection/lack thereof...however you never know and I too would err on the safe side.. You're the boss Moss!! As far as bugs go if there is any chance I'll make sure there are a couple for you to deal with as you may!!

I don't own any chaps, so I guess any saw play is out for me. I'll bring up some saws anyway. I have a hard hat, ear protection and gloves, but that's about it.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to slap on a pair of someone else's to run saws for a bit d00d. No one makes it to a GTG without running a few sizzaws..... :)

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to slap on a pair of someone else's to run saws for a bit d00d. No one makes it to a GTG without running a few sizzaws..... :)

Yep, don't let that discourage anyone. No one wants to end a fun day with a trip to the ER. Anyone is welcome to use my chaps, but I haven't washed my ear plugs in years so I don't think you want to use those. ;)

I will be arriving alone and no need to save me a lobsta,
I don't eat them foolash tangs.
As far as saws i plan to bring, Things could change.

Jonsereds XF and 111S
Mcculloch 797, 797G, and 101B powered geardrive
Homelite 2100, 750
Dolmar 166
Poulan 655BP or Pioneer P60
Mcculloch PM1000 so J Walker can run it
Stihl 090G, and 076 Super

Moss man, Any idea as to what size logs you might have.
Would help me figure on bar lengths. Bigger the better
for me.

Lee

Everything in the pile is 15" diameter or smaller, probably 12" on average. I'll have to figure out the set-up soon, I want to have a row of individually spaced logs all set up when the day starts. I thought about 4 footers, something that can be man handled into place. I do have a pulp loader to assist if necessary and with that we could have 16' logs to cut cookies from that would last most of the day.

I plan to have the 362XP/75cc ported saw that Mitch Weber built for me as well as the Walkerized 394XP and the MM 660 Stihl I have been saving for such an event. There'll be a few others I'm sure, I have 2 Mac 10-10's for cheeves to check out too.

Thanks for the offers guys. I might just have to try to budget for a set beforehand if I can. Can anyone recommend a decent set of chaps for a big guy?

Well, the Husqvarna chaps go up to 46" - or 56" with a waist extender. Length is 36"-38" standard with 40"-42" lengths available.

I'll have my pair of chaps which anyone is more than welcome to borrow, and I have an extra pair that I bought on craigslist that I can probably bring along too if I can get to them in time.

In terms of my saws, I'm coming in a little hatchback so the less gas fumes I have to breathe the better. Maybe I'll just bring the 576? I assume that 372s, 346s, and 7900s will be well represented. Otherwise I'll just bring me. Sounds like there will be plenty of interesting saws there anyhow.

I'll also bring some red potatoes with garlic, rosemary and olive oil ready for roasting.

I might show up, to represent the newbie faction. I'm in Vermont, but 15 minutes from New Hampshire, so it's not too far. Don't really got much to bring to the table, a McCulloch 250, Jonsered 920, maybe a McCulloch S-44 if I stop ignoring it. I'm more interested in seeing what everyone else has, and participating in the drunken porting contest.

Just kidding on the latter part of the previous sentence, obviously.

I have a canopy I can bring. I'm pretty sure it's big enough for a picnic table. I'll have to drag it out and set it up since it's been in storage awhile.

I have chaps but no hard hat. We can share. Also have a canopy.

Back