Mastermind meets the NE346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy indeed, I know what you mean firewoodin'g myself lately. I don't sell it but burn alot, and cut alot, and cut at the hunting ranche's. I do like watching your'e saw build's little buddy:rock:

Randy, it will be interesting to see how that exhaust port works with the pressure drop ridge. The idea is to drop the pressure at the exhaust port as quickly as possible to assist the blowdown. You may start a new trend around here.

Edit: I wouldn't grind too much at first. I'd run it a bit to see how the carbon builds up and indicates whether there is any turbulence. Perhaps it may need a bit of tweaking of the shape to smooth out the flow.

Last edited:
Randy, it will be interesting to see how that exhaust port works with the pressure drop ridge. The idea is to drop the pressure at the exhaust port as quickly as possible to assist the blowdown. You may start a new trend around here.

Edit: I wouldn't grind too much at first. I'd run it a bit to see how the carbon builds up and indicates whether there is any turbulence. Perhaps it may need a bit of tweaking of the shape to smooth out the flow.

I can't believe it took so long for someone to comment on that Terry. I've been using that in several saws lately. It takes a lot of carb to run it. :)

Uh oh, the secret is out. I wonder how long before we start seeing more exhaust ports being done that way.

Lots of work to do here.

[
Don't tell anyone about this port shape. It's a secret. :msp_mellow:

attachment.php

What am I missing? I am not sure what I am seeing but looks like the floor drops after the cylinder wall?

What Randy has done is moved the maximum cross-section of the port from the entrance to the muffler, further up the port so that the maximum cross-section is closer to the piston. That allows the hot expanding gases to immediately begin to expand and cool as they exit the cylinder. Essentially, it helps to drop the pressure at the exhaust port during blowdown.

I believe I've saw this same concept on a stock 455 x torq that I did a woods port on. But don't quote me on it. It had a smoother ramp then what is on MM's 346. Would doing this create faster throttle responce? Seeing how it would help draw the spent exhaust out faster.
Chris

This is the tip of the iceberg Norm. I do repair work in a small shop here at my house. With firewood season in full swing I've been covered up with saws to fix and chains to grind. I've also started a repair project on my house. :cry:

I just hope my truck don't tear up. :laugh:

Just had my fuel pump go on my dodge. Did one on my chevy and swore I would never do one again that's why my buddy took on the task.:laugh:

The uppers are tough to work in without a RT angle handpiece. If this was my saw I would make the uppers one wide opening. Not my saw though, and I want the rings to last. :laugh:

Randy, I've also thought about doin this. It doesn't seem like it'd be that wide an opening to effect the ring? What's your thoughts on this? Good, bad?

Randy, I've also thought about doin this. It doesn't seem like it'd be that wide an opening to effect the ring? What's your thoughts on this? Good, bad?

It wouldn't be as wide as the exhaust port, so? Like I said, if this saw belonged to me, I would go ahead and try it. The down side is of course premature ring wear.

I've done things to my own saws that I'm hesitant to do to other people's. This build is a work saw and I'm sure the owner doesn't want to put a new piston and ring in it every year or so. :laugh:

:hmm3grin2orange: i wonder where ive seen that type exhaust port before. i know ive seen it some where, but where was it? ill figure it out ,i know i seen it before :monkey:

:hmm3grin2orange: i wonder where ive seen that type exhaust port before. i know ive seen it some where, but where was it? ill figure it out ,i know i seen it before :monkey:

As you well know, seeing it is one thing. Cutting it is another. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back