Mastermind Worksaws Finally Gets More Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
95 right now with matching humidity it does suck but i live in it and im use to it.
was 42 here on the way to work ,may hit mid 60's today ,i do not like it hot ,the mild climate is nice to work in around here .

i will tell you what smells good. the sweet feed blended at a local mill. i wish my house smelled like that.

well part of my income is farm but i do side jobs to help me get by. Raising tobacco is not extactly the best money maker in my parts.
if i would of had the resources i would go into strictly cattle charolais and limosin

Done a lot of that years ago. Cut and spear for 10-12 hours a day. Had a dark Tan and looked like a Mexican one year. Lol

My dad got a bit of Native American blood via his mother (back in those days white folks in OK didn't admit such things). When he visited Houston as a young man folks would speak Spanish to him. He & his brothers would fight over who got to be on the flat bed to catch & stack, and who had to be on the ground throwing the bales.

Just a question... who here actually depends on farm production for a real portion of required income?? I do... who else?

I do not........at all. I'm just now getting started with a few head on about 25 acres. Not enough land to make any serious income.

well part of my income is farm but i do side jobs to help me get by. Raising tobacco is not extactly the best money maker in my parts.
if i would of had the resources i would go into strictly cattle charolais and limosin

We are actually thinking of moving down south of here because of taxes....and retirement. Murray Kentucky was one area. Farm land & lakes around for the boats. Has to have trees and preferable a "Hill Top"! Would like to keep a beef operation though. Right now black angus cows are getting the best money here. We are moving away from Herford's as they don't bring the same money at the auctions. Too much fat is what they say. We mixed in a Murray Grey bull and that was a huge success even if the color was "tan". We have a black angus bull n now. Our first year bull calves were getting 2 dollars a pound last year! Hoping this year is the same.

And that is why I'm raising a few Angus.....

They can be a pita to handle.... need to have a way to work them for shots & wormer and stuff. AND they push on EVERYTHING. Keeping the equipment to produce hay...it all adds up and its harder than many think to actually make money over time after all expenses are figured. But they can produce a bit of cash to augment a hobby farm with a few pieces of equipment.. and a **** removal strategy if you have a barn & barn yard!

Wait until you have to get an uncooperative one on a trailer!

I have one in a field right now (a young heifer) that runs the other way whenever you try to move em. She is sorta stuck in that field with a steer until we can build a solid catch pen in there.

They can be a pita to handle.... need to have a way to work them for shots & wormer and stuff. AND they push on EVERYTHING. Keeping the equipment to produce hay...it all adds up and its harder than many think to actually make money over time after all expenses are figured. But they can produce a bit of cash to augment a hobby farm with a few pieces of equipment.. and a **** removal strategy if you have a barn & barn yard!

Wait until you have to get an uncooperative one on a trailer!
the only crazy ones i dealt with was ones hit by a truck seen some go wild over a the noise of a engine running.

We are actually thinking of moving down south of here because of taxes....and retirement. Murray Kentucky was one area. Farm land & lakes around for the boats. Has to have trees and preferable a "Hill Top"! Would like to keep a beef operation though. Right now black angus cows are getting the best money here. We are moving away from Herford's as they don't bring the same money at the auctions. Too much fat is what they say. We mixed in a Murray Grey bull and that was a huge success even if the color was "tan". We have a black angus bull n now. Our first year bull calves were getting 2 dollars a pound last year! Hoping this year is the same.
don't hold you're breath cattle and grains is shaky this year it could go either direction.

That reminds me of a story. When I worked for my cousins on their dairy farm we had about 20 heifers in a 200 acre pasture with a bull. In the fall the heifers were easy to get, but that bull would not even come close the trailer. We chased that thing every day for a week. At this point it was early November and the temp dropped into the 20's. The pond in the pasture had a thin coat of ice and we chased him toward it thinking we could trap him. He ran into the pond and swam around a little. When he got out, his ears and his head were down and he walked toward the gate and hopped onto the trailer. Friggin' Bulls................

We banded a bull calf (about 500 lbs) at my brother in law's place. We hauled him over and backed the trailer up to his catch pen. We put a band on his sack, and gave him a couple of shots, when we let him out of the head catch, he ran straight across the pen and jumped into the trailer. TAKE ME BACK HOME!!!!!!!!!

I think every one in the cow business / hobby has a story...some funny. We had one set of 18month bull calves on the hill...were selling them 1-2 at a time...got down to the last two and one was ornery. First attempt and he got close to the trailer decided that wasn't when he wanted and got under the corral panels and bent the crap outa everything as he shoved his 800lbs ass thru....second attempt my wife crashed the quad trying to corral him.. bent it all up. ended that. Third attempt with a much more sophisticated corral system I wasn't there. Was in the woods dropping trees.

Looked at my phone and saw there were 15-18 messages. The first one..." Honey.. Jess & I are headed up to trailer that bull calf"
Third message.. "Sweety it would be nice to have a little help...."
Tenth Message.. "That "effen" cow is being a PITA"
Fifteenth Message "If You would drop that "effen saw" and get you "butt" up here! and a few more unprintable...
Seventeenth.... "Effen cow broke out and is headed south..." more un printables and now some unintelligible's ..

SO the hunting began.. next morning.
Tracked him for about 4 hours...found him just north of the most northwestern pasture....called the wife....Said I found him. Could probably get him into the pasture..

Before I could finish... "Would you put that "unintelligables" pita down!" So I did. We had a lot of fresh beef the next year.

Cow2013_hang.jpg

Cow2013_skinning.jpg

Latest posts

Back