McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi alpine and welcome to AS.

Don't know if you'll ever find that gasket.

You can search this thread and find how Joey sealed up those style tanks with 3M 'body accent' foam tape. I have a PM700 he did and no leaks.

I've also recently used a product called Red-Kote and am very happy with the results.

As far as bar size goes, I've used 18" or 20" in all types of wood. But I don't push these saws very hard, either.

Hi Warped and thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can find the thread you noted. If it wasn't such a narrow gasket, making one out of cork would be a snap. I had a broken fuel line as well but was able to find a replacement that worked from another model number. The fuel filter was different as well but I found a suitable replacement locally. You wouldn't think this was such a big deal to fix, but this leak is driving me nuts. Thanks again for the speedy reply.

Lookin' to identify this Mac.

Fellow sent me a pair of pics. of his Mac. to figure out which model.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just looks 250(ish) to me but WTFDIK.

Hi guys
Is there anywhere on this planet, a fuel tank gasket for my 1975 10-10 Auto? I see lots of part numbers listed on various sites, but no luck. I know I can make one, but would rather find a new one. The saw works great (I've had it since 1982, new) and has only about 10 hours on it.
One other question: how big a bar can I use on it without losing cutting power?
BTW, the gasket part # is 69345, as I'm sure most of you know.
Thanks for anyone's help.

Go to your local auto parts and get a sheet of Felpro gasket use Indian Head sealer never had a problem or leak on any tank app...I've done hundreds it seems

-Cascade Saw

Go to your local auto parts and get a sheet of Felpro gasket use Indian Head sealer never had a problem or leak on any tank app...I've done hundreds it seems

-Cascade Saw

Are you speaking of the Permatex Indian Head gasket sealer...as in the stuff guys use for sealing carb welch plugs (instead of using finger nail polish)?

Fellow sent me a pair of pics. of his Mac. to figure out which model.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just looks 250(ish) to me but WTFDIK.

I'm thinking a 300 or 380.

That's my guess too. Now parts could have been changed of course.....................but a 250 wouldn't have that AF cover, flywheel cover (with the 'top button' kill switch), muffler, rubber rear grip sleeve, or full wrap handlebar from the factory. Assuming that all those parts are original, then 300/300 is my guess. The numbers from the bottom of the block would help here...

Last edited:
That's my guess too. Now parts could have been changed of coursed.....................but a 250 wouldn't have that AF cover, flywheel cover (with the 'top button' kill switch), muffler, rubber rear grip sleeve, or full wrap handlebar from the factory. Assuming that all those parts are original, then 300/300 is my guess. The numbers from the bottom of the block would help here...

Thanks fellas.

I gave the lad directions on how to find us here on the forum. He is in Springfield, Mo..

I tried to sick him on Workshop.:hmm3grin2orange:

Lookin' good Joe. I recommend you swap to a .404-7 sprocket on that saw. .404-8 is a BIG sprocket. It'll still be fast (.404-7 is roughly the same dia as 3/8-8) and it'll pull better. The chain will also stay on the bar better. That 10-series bar tail is a bit narrow to be fed by .404-8.

Yep, I have seen that happen many times. That cookie just barely taps the chain pushing it slightly off kilter and it's just enough to make it jump off the bar. Glad your not injured. :msp_thumbup:

Lookin' good Joe. I recommend you swap to a .404-7 sprocket on that saw. .404-8 is a BIG sprocket. It'll still be fast (.404-7 is roughly the same dia as 3/8-8) and it'll pull better. The chain will also stay on the bar better. That 10-series bar tail is a bit narrow to be fed by .404-8.

You're right, I can see the chain not touching the tail until a couple inches out. I may try that when I get back home. Slower chain speed with more torque is more my style. I actually swapped all my saws back to 7 tooth except this one. Some were already 7 tooth like the 28" bars and up.

I'll report back with a new video after I swap it out.

Thanks Aaron

Pm850

There has been so much talk about 82cc Macs lately I thought I should buy one.
attachment.php

I picked this up at a fleemarket this past weekend.
attachment.php

This is the first Mac of this class I own.
attachment.php

She's very clean for an old saw.
attachment.php

With a nice 24" bar and chain.
attachment.php

It didn't have a fan housing/starter but I can come up with that.

She has unbelievable compression, when I spin the flywheel, both with the decomp on and off.

I have an IPL but I may be looking for some help, in the near future.

ODW

View attachment 309388View attachment 309390View attachment 309391View attachment 309393View attachment 309394

View attachment 309290View attachment 309291View attachment 309292View attachment 309293View attachment 309294

Last edited:
You're right, I can see the chain not touching the tail until a couple inches out. I may try that when I get back home. Slower chain speed with more torque is more my style. I actually swapped all my saws back to 7 tooth except this one. Some were already 7 tooth like the 28" bars and up.

I'll report back with a new video after I swap it out.

Thanks Aaron

My second SP-81 (waiting for a full rebuild with NOS parts........engine's locked up tight now) came to me with a 33" bar, a 98DL loop of .404, and a .404-7 sprocket. I'm going to swap it to a 3/8-7 sprocket and replace the tip. I have a LOT of 3/8 pitch Windsor tips. Other than the condition, this bar will be identical to the NOS bar that Ron sent me for the PM-850 project (for you-know-who)....:D

PM950 Links

The Pics in my previous post show up fine on my computer. Can anyone else tell me if they can see the pics or not.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

ODW

When I check my attachments the pic attachment in question say "In Progress".

What does that mean?

ODW

Last edited:
Back