MS250 or 270?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmmmmmmmmmm................

Well you own a 192 and not many "so called stihl guys" think too highly of that saw ;). So I'm not sure how good your judgement is.

i own an ms200 too but it is in the shop.the 192 isn't.it always idles and runs.never had one problem with it.i never said it was a screamer but it is a great saw.muffler stays on as well.

Been using 025/250 for years. We've wore out at least 10 of them in a semi/commercial venture. Have 4 running saws at the present time and best thing is....I've learned how to work on them and being quite simple minded myself :help: , it's best for us to keep on with that model. Lightweight is a plus but I ain't fond of their carburetors of late. That's what gives us the most trouble. Dealer network is solid; parts readily available. Love em !!
Had a couple 026 models but they're more than we need actually. Appreciate all the advice, help, interaction here, Gentlemen.

When it comes to tools you will get what you are willing to pay for. My vote is for the MS260. If that is out of your budget get the MS280, its about the same weight of MS270 with more power. Avoid that MS250. It is a light duty tool when compared to the others. Get an 18", avoid what size bar Stihl recommends. Its a good all around size not too big not too small for most work around this area if you only use one saw. Also, sawtroll is right avoid that quick chain adjustment option, the regular design with 2 nuts is more heavy duty and built to last. Also, avoid second chain braking system option, about an extra half a pound of dead weight for something you will probably never need. Please reply back as to which saw you purchased & good luck.

As an owner of the MS270 I would say go for it. I use mine to cut up firewood and have never had any problems with it.

The only problem you will have with any saw is this site..... Once you stick around and gather lots of information you will get the bug and then start to desire another saw and then another saw.

Good luck... and consider yourself warned!

First let me say THANKS to all who responded to my post. Like many homeowners I came to this site looking for advice from the “Pro’s”. I spend many hours searching through this forum trying to figure out which saw would best suit my needs. I don’t mean to criticize but many on this board would like to steer occasional users like myself into buying an expensive saw which most homeowners just can’t justify. I suspect that those folks probably learned the hard way that is better to buy the best saw you can upfront so you won’t be looking to upgrade in a few months. Like I said in my original post I was looking at purchasing a MS250 or 270. I spent a lot of time comparing engine sizes, horsepower ratings and weights trying to determine which saw to buy. I narrowed my search to the 270, 280, 290 and 310. I was most impressed with the 270 and 280 because of their lighter weight and what I believe is newer technology than the other two. The 290 seemed a little heavy for its power rating and both the 290 and 310 were both 1.3 lbs heavier than the 270 and 280. That might not seem like much to the professional who lugs a 440 around all day but for an occasional user like myself I don’t need Magnum power to cut down a few trees a year. Almost any saw would be a big improvement over the old 2150 Poulan I’ve been running for years. During visits to several local dealers I found that not all of them carried the 270 or 280 models. Some said they were “too expensive” and that most farmers and homeowners opt for a 290 which is a lot of bang for the buck. I am fortunate to have an excellent Stihl dealer in my area. They are an Amish business with no electricity in their building. When we pulled in there were horses and buggy’s tied up along side the shop. :laugh: The owner was extremely knowledgeable of the Stihl product line and took the time to explain the differences between the models. Well guys after hours of research and deliberation I purchased a MS280. All I can say is it is one sweet little saw. I can wait to get out there and drop some trees. Thanks again to all who responded to my post.:biggrinbounce2:

I was most impressed with the 270 and 280 because of their lighter weight and what I believe is newer technology than the other two. The 290 seemed a little heavy for its power rating and both the 290 and 310 were both 1.3 lbs heavier than the 270 and 280. That might not seem like much to the professional who lugs a 440 around all day but for an occasional user like myself I don’t need Magnum power to cut down a few trees a year. Almost any saw would be a big improvement over the old 2150 Poulan I’ve been running for years.

I agree 100%, and I think you made a great choice.

..... The 290 seemed a little heavy for its power rating and both the 290 and 310 were both 1.3 lbs heavier than the 270 and 280. ...

The true differense is a bit more, as Stihl is a bit optimistic in their weight rating for the 290-series. ;)

Congrats on the MS280!

Back