MS441 or 385xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this interesting by Timberwolf
A ported 460 with 68 % gained over stock.

Finally got a couple videos of 460 up. First is stock as it came set up from stihl tuned just to 4 stroking. 7.15 seconds

Second video is ported, with a 9 pin gear. It's a bit too much for it in this sized wood, but should be ok in 8x8. 3.63 seconds so just shy of 100% faster.

With same bar and chain setup as tested stock it was cutting 4.25 so about 68% faster than stock.

I really want to see it over 100% faster so going to make a couple adjustments and open up the muffler a little more. Also It should pick up a little once broken in a bit.

Compression is sitting at 190 with 7.15 cc head volume.

Stock 460 - YouTube

460 ported filed chain - YouTube

Then he goes back in and know we are up 75 % over stock.

Finished off the muffler, tigged on an extention to the deflector and went back inside the saw to increase intake durration and time area a little. RPM up closer to 14,800 Here are a few more pics.

Cutting 3.38 s now, over 75% better than stock same bar and chain and about 110% with better chain.

460 Stihl ported - YouTube

mmm...

sam-adams-black-lager.jpg

Like i said

''I also want to see a 441M ported smoke a MM broken in 460 by 38% ''

The above comment i aim to see if this is true so what do you guys wont to see
Soft wood or hard wood ?
What size wood ?
What bar chain combo,sprocket ?
Chain raker height stock .022'' or more aggresive ?
How many tanks of fuel through the 441 ported M Tronic before i do the testing ?
Do i add a 660 with BB kit or the Snellerized 660 ? (a fuel use test would be interesting)

I can do all the above what do you guys wont to see

If you dont trust me to try and do a fair test and there is no point in doing one.:smile2:

Here are my thoughts:

1. 28" bar (if you have the wood size, this is a nice length for a 70cc to show its stuff and is also a nice bar length for 90cc)
3. 36" bar between the 441M and any 660 would be good too, as we haven't done that test yet.
2. Hardwood (Softwood just tests who has the higher rev limiter)
3. FOP or standard raker height (Keeps it simple for all, and takes out any weird variable)
4. 15-20 tanks through 441M (It will keep me from thinking it had more speed/power in it due to breakin, but that is a forest of trees to have to cut before you get to 20 tanks).
5. Yes, do test it against any 660 you have for comparison, as you won't likely be using them very much anymore and so they might as well get run for this test, LOL.

We pretty much know what you are going to find, but you will have fun doing it, LOL. Do the fuel consumption test that is a real eye opener for the naysayers here, they won't believe the results of that Modded 441M against a 660-Modded or Dual Port/stock, it will also show convincingly that there is no other saw that can cut as much wood as the Modded 441 in say an hours time or more, as the 660 can't outcut its massive thirst for fuel, neither can a 460 or 7900. We have tested this quite a bit already.

Gotta go get ready to cut trees for the day, as much as I love my modded 441's I can't wait to see my Killer 660 again, its been since the spring since I saw it last and its all cleaned up and back to good. This afternoon is going to be a light day, have a new cutter starting today and gotta go over the land boundaries and such, and fix a battery cable on the CAT 518 Swing Boom Skidder.

Later,

Sam

Here are my thoughts:

1. 28" bar (if you have the wood size, this is a nice length for a 70cc to show its stuff and is also
Later,

Sam

i must be a glutten for punishment . out here a 460 with a dual port muffler is battling to run a 25" b&c unless you use fill skip and you've got a lot of time. :popcorn::msp_mellow:

hew andrew there must be someone over there with enough money to send over a tree to test on:biggrin:

I found this interesting by Timberwolf
A ported 460 with 68 % gained over stock.

Finally got a couple videos of 460 up. First is stock as it came set up from stihl tuned just to 4 stroking. 7.15 seconds

Second video is ported, with a 9 pin gear. It's a bit too much for it in this sized wood, but should be ok in 8x8. 3.63 seconds so just shy of 100% faster.

With same bar and chain setup as tested stock it was cutting 4.25 so about 68% faster than stock.

I really want to see it over 100% faster so going to make a couple adjustments and open up the muffler a little more. Also It should pick up a little once broken in a bit.

Compression is sitting at 190 with 7.15 cc head volume.

Stock 460 - YouTube

460 ported filed chain - YouTube

So does this satisfy any of the people that say a 38% gain is not possible?

So does this satisfy any of the people that say a 38% gain is not possible?

LOL, no it won't.

Andrew, will do. It can't be much, when you figure in the cheapness of the bar. I don't know why the .063 is more expensive?? They had one in stock, last week. I'm still waiting on more .050's to come in, been ordered for 2 weeks. I forgot to bring my 36" bar for the Killer 660, was going to whack down some of the bigger maples with that setup just to try it, will likely get a Lite 36" for the 660, as I think that will make a great setup for timber that has a bigger average, which our next job will likely have.

Later,

Sam

i must be a glutten for punishment . out here a 460 with a dual port muffler is battling to run a 25" b&c unless you use fill skip and you've got a lot of time. :popcorn::msp_mellow:

Right you are, and I totally agree, as I don't run stockish saws period, but recently watched some poor sap bucking up about 80 logs (hickory and Oak) with a stock 460 and I suggested to his boss that maybe he should provide his employees with magazines or short story books to read, as I marveled how long it took to do what we take for granted with our modded saws.

I too am a great fan of the Full Skip for every situation, it just cuts better in more cases than not over full comp.

Sam

neveer siad it wasn't possible. A whole lot is possible. I jsut said I thought 50% was very optimistic. At some point it's no longer a work saw.

The saw is conservative, around 170-175 psi, nothing crazy. No popup or milled cylinder, nothing like that, higher octane gas was used but that was more for the quality of the fuel not that it need the actual octane.

Sam

Well saws can be modded for power gain but a poorly tuned chain can make it as slow as a stock saw. The 385 with a well tuned full skip chain on 28" bar will run circles around a stock 441 running a 28" bar and a well tuned full skip chain. It has more to do how the chain is tuned then anything else when it come to performance.

Most factory chains need to be tuned to fit the saw. For me riders then the teeth get adjusted to my preference.

Latest posts

Back