MS460 group

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in. I've had a 460 for about 4 years. I put a DP muffler cover on it pretty soon after buying it. Great Saw.

modding the limiter caps

thats a good idea about cutting the tabs off the caps instead of springs, will this put enough tention on the needles to keep them from vibrating loose? Thanks for the tip!

thats a good idea about cutting the tabs off the caps instead of springs, will this put enough tention on the needles to keep them from vibrating loose? Thanks for the tip!

Yes, always reinstall the caps for that reason. Only cut the one big tab on the cap, not the 2 tiny ones.

Well well well........

Looks like I got my hands on a burnt up 460 for a song. It's rough, but I am sure I can find most parts I need for a successful rebuild. I think it's a good candidate for a BB kit and a DP muffler cover. I'll update as my work progresses.

ms limiter cap mods

thanks for clarifying that for me only cut off the big tab ok i'll try it. The good thing is I'm a mechanic for an ag dealer that happens to sell stihl equipment so if I do screw something up my parts are cheap and I have parts diagrams of everything,:cheers: that really helps

Looks like I got my hands on a burnt up 460 for a song. It's rough, but I am sure I can find most parts I need for a successful rebuild. I think it's a good candidate for a BB kit and a DP muffler cover. I'll update as my work progresses.

Congrats, you finally have a saw worth a :censored:.:clap:

Leaving 460 club

Getting rid of Stock DP 460 replacing it with a Treeslinger 372. Ran Stock 441,372,576 and modded/ported 460,372 and 576. I didn't care for the 441 at all weird saw. I would definately take a 576 over the 441. Im a former die hard Stihl head who has been rehabbed.

Congrats, you finally have a saw worth a :censored:.:clap:

What are you saying 2K? Are my 395, 575 and Solo 633 not "real" saws?

And don't laugh, but I picked up a Homelite Timberman cheap, after trashing the limiters and opening up the muffler it really runs and cuts nice.

What are you saying 2K? Are my 395, 575 and Solo 633 not "real" saws?

And don't laugh, but I picked up a Homelite Timberman cheap, after trashing the limiters and opening up the muffler it really runs and cuts nice.

The 395 is a good one.........

It's about time ya got a stihl, Now after you get it going i'm sure you're gonna have a yard sale to get rid of all them other saws.

Getting rid of Stock DP 460 replacing it with a Treeslinger 372. Ran Stock 441,372,576 and modded/ported 460,372 and 576. I didn't care for the 441 at all weird saw. I would definately take a 576 over the 441. Im a former die hard Stihl head who has been rehabbed.

Dang Jeff, no one will listen to me when I say that I did not like running the 441. I did not dare run the modded 372 at the GTG. I have CAD bad enough as it is. I also bailed on the 460 I had 2 years ago. Keeping the 044 for now though, and I will be buried with my 361s.

One thing though, if you sell the 460 and get a SlingMod 372, you're gonna have to retake your photo with the 372 for your avatar there.

Last edited:
460 carb question

Hi guys! I have a question about my carb I've taken the needle jets out and removed the limiters while doing this the piece of the housing that has the notches for the limiter caps fell out of the body of the carb. No big deal I thought so I put it back went and cut some wood with the rubber bushing covering the needle adjusting holes off so I could see better while adjusting the mixtures, well the part of the housing fell out at some time, the rubber wasn't there to hold it in place. Stihl says you can't buy that part you have to replace the carb that piece is apparently peened into the housing so it can't come out. Well the thing came out easy so how could it be attached and not removeable. Has anybody had this problem and is stihl just blowing smoke up my bum about this issue. I even have a parts breakdown of the carb and it does not show this part at all.

Thnx Guys

460 binding in the tree

my 460 keeps jamming in the cut as soon as the bottom of one of the felling dogs hits the wood. if i cut midway up the bar it cuts fine but as soon as you jam the dogs into the tree it binds in the cut. sharpened chain on my grinder and still did the same thing. carb is adjusted good and I have a modded muffler so its got power. i'm running an 18" bar, I would appreciate any help i'm pretty green when it comes to cutting trees still learning the basics.

I just noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in. I recently bought a 460 project saw and hope to get it going soon. If anyone has one of the following they are willing to part with please let me know: oiler, handlebar (prefer 3/4 wrap), clutch washer (goes between clutch and oiler), or a chain brake handle.

Back