ms460 most powerful chainsaw ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big saws are designed for Torque not Horsepower which is why RPM limiters are designed into big saws. Keeps them near their Torque peak.

Nope.... Rev limiters are for two reasons:

1) Bad design - to stop over-reving and either flying to pieces, and/or for lube reasons.

2) Today's usual reason -EPA/EU demands a lean running saw which means you can't use rich settings to limit the unloaded (wot) top speed. Husky takes this approach on most of their saws rather then build the limitation into their port designs. There are pros and cons to this approach. The only real "con" (ignoring AS members genetic need to modify) is difficulty with end-user tuning.

Last edited:
If carrying that extra pound all day will kill you, you better hit the health club. :lifter: :clap:

I have failed to see your point....Why add more weight for little gain? And tell me where I can get a bolt on dual port cover for the 390.

I have no doubt that my 440 gained .3-.4 hp after the cover so then the 460 would very close to 6.5 and Stihl a pound less:)

Nope.... Rev limiters are for two reasons:

1) Bad design - to stop over-reving and either flying to pieces, and/or for lube reasons.

2) Today's usual reason -EPA/EU demands a lean running saw which means you can't use rich settings to limit the unloaded (wot) top speed. Husky takes this approach on most of their saws rather then build the limitation into their port designs. There are pros and cons to this approach. The only real "con" (ignoring AS members genetic need to modify) is difficulty with end-user tuning.

We tried to steer him towards the top dog creamsicle but no cigar. I thought the replies were more than enough to make the right decision:cry: :cry: :cry:

We tried to steer him towards the top dog creamsicle but no cigar. I thought the replies were more than enough to make the right decision:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sounded to me like he said the "top dog creamsicle" was a vibrating pig. Of course, you Stihl guys probably like vibrating pigs, huh. :popcorn:

Sounded to me like he said the "top dog creamsicle" was a vibrating pig. Of course, you Stihl guys probably like vibrating pigs, huh. :popcorn:

LOL, I don't see and 120+cc saw not vibrating. I guess it is like buying a smooth riding volvo for "play", other than buying a tank to work with. I know what I wood buy:)

LOL, I don't see and 120+cc saw not vibrating. I guess it is like buying a smooth riding volvo for "play", other than buying a tank to work with. I know what I wood buy:)
It's a pig, go ahead, admit it. "oink oink oink!" Let me hear you say it now. :buttkick:

I have failed to see your point....Why add more weight for little gain? And tell me where I can get a bolt on dual port cover for the 390.

I have no doubt that my 440 gained .3-.4 hp after the cover so then the 460 would very close to 6.5 and Stihl a pound less:)

I make my own for less than $10. Way cheaper than buying a factory dual port. Yes, that was my MS660 and yes that cover was made me. I'll do the 390 after it is broke in and I will post that too. :biggrinbounce2:

picture004largely8.jpg

I have one!!!!! and I must admit,,,, :clap: :clap: :clap: it is one of my favorites!!!!!

and the best part is,,,,and enough spare parts to build 2 more!!!!

Put that in your pipe and Smoke it!!!!!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And I have run it and it will really make the chips fly.
Now that Dolmar of his I ran was nothing special.It couldn't keep up and the damn rev limiter kept slowing it down.

Pics eh?

I make my own for less than $10. Way cheaper than buying a factory dual port. Yes, that was my MS660 and yes that cover was made me. I'll do the 390 after it is broke in and I will post that too. :biggrinbounce2:

picture004largely8.jpg

Well mine weren't $10 but all it took was one phone call to get 'em:) I would have posted the 044 muff mod but it will soon have another DP just like it's bro. I take the easy way out when available, and hell, it's made by Stihl.:clap:

attachment.php

No riddle me this, why did you trade down on saws? Most guys here go for a bigger saw........:confused: :confused:

And I have run it and it will really make the chips fly.
Now that Dolmar of his I ran was nothing special.It couldn't keep up and the damn rev limiter kept slowing it down.

Ahhh,,, You remember Ehhh!!???

That old saw surprises lots of folks.... now that I finally got the oldstyle muffler casing and the factory dual port tweaked It pulls an 8pin in hardwood w/fullcomp on a 36" bar like no tomorrow,,,,If I could just figure out how to get it machined to install a decomp,,,,,:givebeer:

picture004largely8.jpg

Hey Jack,,,,, hate to be the one to tell ya but you didnt mod the cover,,,,

Thats the Muffler casing ,,,,,, BTW have you got a spark arrestor in those pipes???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back