My new ms361!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But Don, it will cost JJ at least another $150 to make his 361 a "pro" saw.:monkey:

I'll help him out though, when JJ is ready to open the muffler up, if he will send me the muffler and $15, I will add the Lake port to it.:DThat's a little cheaper I believe.:D

Thanks I appreciate that offer I will keep it in mind. Getting ready to go do some cutting in the yard with it now.

Just cut some with it I loved it :D. How do you guys know if your getting enough chain oil or not? I bucked 1 of the trees that was about blade width and I was impressed compared to what I have used in the past atleast.

Just cut some with it I loved it :D. How do you guys know if your getting enough chain oil or not? I bucked 1 of the trees that was about blade width and I was impressed compared to what I have used in the past atleast.

if the wood didn't burst in to flames you are probably getting enough oil.:chainsaw:
the 361 dispenses oil sparingly. check it by revving the saw over a light colored surface and see if oil is slinging off the bar.

useage from 1/2 to 1 full tank bar oil to a tank of mix is usually good.

Thanks Volks I just didnt know if maybe the chain should be kind of wet to the touch or not with oil.
I think I need another smaller saw too my homelite get on my nerves I guess it gets the job done though.

Last edited:
I turned up the oil flow a bit they could have summer bar oil in it for all I know. I just need to perfect filing by hand now. We have a chain sharpener but I would like to be good at touching it up while working. Whats a good file to get?

I got out the old Remington SL11 also with a new bar and chain to compare and the 361 smokes it lol. The 361 cuts so strait and smooth.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new saw!

As you probably already know... you won't be disappointed!!

I picked one up last July and have put about 15 tanks through it. I bought the hard hat/face shield at the same time and am very happy with them. I got chaps form my wife at Christmas and use them whenever I cut. Can't say enough about using safety gear. Anything can happen and they are cheap insurance.

Mine (I haven't named her yet) uses about one tank of oil to one of fuel. The chain stays clean, feels slightly oily and is not gummy. Don't know what kind of bar oil you use or how cold it is but I was surprised at how thick the Stihl medium weight chain oil is at -20°C. I had to bring the jug in the house to warm it up before using it.

I'll post some pics of Ol' Sexy later... hmmm... Ol' Sexy, I like the sound of that...

I got just the regular stihl chain oil doesnt say its summer or winter. Was prob around 35 degrees out or so. The chain felt pretty dry most the time. It still has the oil in it that the dealer put in it so im not sure what it is.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy it does seem to need a bit of touching up with the file now maybe ill see if I can get one tomorrow. Its not dull but I can tell its not razor sharp anymore.

Congrats on the new saw.
You made the right choice! Nice pics too.

I too was a little worried about lack of bar oil. I'm running with the oil set on max with an 18" now. When I got it, it was set on the "E". It uses about 1/2 a tank of oil to a full tank of fuel and you can see a light coat in the bar groove. This is the 1st saw I've had that doesn't pump oil at idle so I was used to seeing a lot of it everywhere. No so with the 361. It gets just what it needs. I'd turn her to max and forget about it. That's what I did...:chainsawguy:

Congrats on the new saw.
You made the right choice! Nice pics too.

I too was a little worried about lack of bar oil. I'm running with the oil set on max with an 18" now. When I got it, it was set on the "E". It uses about 1/2 a tank of oil to a full tank of fuel and you can see a light coat in the bar groove. This is the 1st saw I've had that doesn't pump oil at idle so I was used to seeing a lot of it everywhere. No so with the 361. It gets just what it needs. I'd turn her to max and forget about it. That's what I did...:chainsawguy:

Thanks I turned it to max last night.

Be careful about maxing it out. You might run out of oil and not know it. Much worse of an outcome than just barely having enough. Try to set it so that it has a little bit left when your gas tank is empty.

Be careful about maxing it out. You might run out of oil and not know it. Much worse of an outcome than just barely having enough. Try to set it so that it has a little bit left when your gas tank is empty.
No problem with running out.
It has a least a 1/2 of tank of oil left when you run out of fuel and that's the way it should be on a 361.
But that's a good word of caution.

Back