Need a saw recomendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut about 5 to 10 cords a year with a MS361 that i bought used on ebay a couple of years ago. Works great( the only other saw ive ever used is my little poulan pro). Id like to buy another saw to replace the poulan for small to med log cutting. The MS361 is a bit big at times. What would be a very good smaller saw to accompany the ms361 for bucking up my wood? Price isnt too much of a concern.( Im gonna get alot of use out of it over the years). I need a model for Stilh and one from Husky please. P.S. i love the Stihl but im thinking of trying a Husky just to see for myself.Thanks.
For you, I dont think it matters what brand you choose, er, as long as it's a turbodiesel! Welcome,Paul

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
I Just got back from local dealer. He phoned me with a price for a Dolmar 401 which looks like the saw for my needs. He said its been replaced by CS420 at $309.Has a 16 blade but comes in at 10+ pounds.A bit heavier than i would like. I see they are available online. The dealer did like Dolmar alot but really pushed the ECHO CS-360T. It weights 8.1lbs so that seems about as good as im going to get. My new question is about top handle models. Ive never used one. Will it fit the bill for trimming up downed stuff of should i get the rear handle model? Im not going with the Stihl, i love my 361 but didnt like the cheaper smaller models feel. Just my opinion. Dolmar by mail or Echo locally.

Go Dolmar by mail, and get the 401. :clap:

Saying the 420 is a replacement for the 401 is about like saying the MS441 is a replacement for the MS440. :laugh: (fat arsed, bulky, and ill handling by comparison)

Man for ten pounds you might as well get a MS260, what the :censored: were they thinking. :dizzy:

Don't go top handle for ground work, and don't go Echo anyway, there are far to many good saws out there to be running an Echo.
slap.gif
:laugh: Ya listening Red.

PaulinNY

PaulinNY

ArboristSite Member
Pain in the but

What a pain in the A#$. One would think buying a new chainsaw would be a fun experience. Anything but! I finally decided on a saw( Dolmar 401) and my local Dolmar dealer doesent even stock any Dolmar and cant get the model i wanted. Secondly i want to pay cash and be done with it. Dont want it on the Credit card.( what the wife dont know!) Im thinking of going to HD and picking up one of those Echos now. Its just so much easier. Ill give it another day or so to find a local dealer or its off to the Big Box store. ECHO CS-346 would fit the bill 7.5 lbs and thanks for the rear handle input.

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
What a pain in the A#$. One would think buying a new chainsaw would be a fun experience. Anything but! I finally decided on a saw( Dolmar 401) and my local Dolmar dealer doesent even stock any Dolmar and cant get the model i wanted. Secondly i want to pay cash and be done with it. Dont want it on the Credit card.( what the wife dont know!) Im thinking of going to HD and picking up one of those Echos now. Its just so much easier. Ill give it another day or so to find a local dealer or its off to the Big Box store. ECHO CS-346 would fit the bill 7.5 lbs and thanks for the rear handle input.

Home Depot sells Makita saws (read Dolmar saws in blue trim) see if they have a DCS401 still around in a warehouse somewhere.

If not there are a few people around here that deal in Dolmar products you might try and work it out with them, I'd say they'd take a money order or cashiers check by mail.

There’s also a couple of Makita DolmarChainSaw 401s on fleabay right now.

Check your PM's ;)

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

Saying the 420 is a replacement for the 401 is about like saying the MS441 is a replacement for the MS440. :laugh: (fat arsed, bulky, and ill handling by comparison)

Man for ten pounds you might as well get a MS260, what the :censored: were they thinking. :dizzy: .....

I agree - I still fail to see where it fits in - too close to the 50cc saws in weight. :confused:

Last edited:

Latest posts