Need chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FDB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that these questions have been asked over and over. I am looking at purchasing my first REAL chainsaw (no more sears/home depot jobs). I talked to the stihl dealer and he has recommended the 440 or 441. I found a used 044 for a decent price, but I cant seem to find out any comparitive info on it. Of course the stihl dealer doesn't recommend getting a used one (gee I wonder why LOL). I am planning on using it for cutting firewood about 10 cords a month (alder, fir, and oak). I have used the stihl saws in the past and absolutely love them. Any advice would be great. Also I will need something that can handle a 30' bar.

The 044 is the same saw as the 440, just the older version. There are some variations in there when ordering parts, but the plastic and wht not is the same. Good saws!
The 441 is the new EPA version of the 440, as the 440 will be pulled shortly. Many here have run and love the 441. But it's a little more money, anda tad heavier than the 044/440.

so what is the fair market value for a used 044 in good working order? I can pick it up for 350 maketalk em down to 300, versus the 440 for 800. I do like the idea of a new saw though. I see your from kansas, anywhere near Hutch, I have lots of family there.

How well do you want the saw to handle a 30" bar? A 70 cc class saw like a 440, 044, 441 or Husqvarna 372 will handle it but not with authority. You'll be happier with a saw in the 80 - 90 cc range if most of your cutting is with a 30" bar which means the Stihl 460, 650, or 660 will be a better choice. Husqvarna saws in this range are the 385, 390, and 395. My choice based on what you described would be the new Husky 390 or the 79cc Dolmar 7900 which to me will give you more saw for your money compared to the others mentioned. Older saws I would consider if can find a good one and have someone close by to help you are the Husqvarna 181, 281, 288, 394 or Jonsered 820, 920, 930. The 181, 281 and 288 are the lightest of the group. All of these should be less that $300 - 400 but you will need to know what you're buying or deal with someone you can trust and will stand behind what there're selling you.

How well do you want the saw to handle a 30" bar? A 70 cc class saw like a 440, 044, 441 or Husqvarna 372 will handle it but not with authority. You'll be happier with a saw in the 80 - 90 cc range if most of your cutting is with a 30" bar which means the Stihl 460, 650, or 660 will be a better choice. Husqvarna saws in this range are the 385, 390, and 395. My choice based on what you described would be the new Husky 390 or the 79cc Dolmar 7900 which to me will give you more saw for your money compared to the others mentioned. Older saws I would consider if can find a good one and have someone close by to help you are the Husqvarna 181, 281, 288, 394 or Jonsered 820, 920, 930. The 181, 281 and 288 are the lightest of the group. All of these should be less that $300 - 400 but you will need to know what you're buying or deal with someone you can trust and will stand behind what there're selling you.

Did you note his location? He's in the PNW, where most of the cutting will be softwoods, and 28-32" bars are common on 044's with no issues. He'll be fine with that saw and his chosen bar length.

Good point. Yes I noticed that and wondered is there would be much of a difference but posted based on my experience; none of which includes the Northwest or those species. Yellow pine - yes, fir - never.

so what is the fair market value for a used 044 in good working order? I can pick it up for 350 maketalk em down to 300, versus the 440 for 800. I do like the idea of a new saw though. I see your from kansas, anywhere near Hutch, I have lots of family there.

Good compression, clean saw, $350 isn't a bad price!! Figure 3/4-1/2 price on a clean used saw (unless it's e-bay) figure half and down on a beat up saw. Piston and cylinders for 044's are common and not that pricey, and the saws are relativly easy to rebuild.

There are not that many Dolmar dealers in that area from what I have heard, be worth a check though.

So with a 28-30 ft bar what types of wood will NOT be suitable for this saw? Actually the 044 is at a local pawnshop in the area, I just dont wanna get something and not be happy with its performance and be stuck with it. Dont really have the funds to keep buying saws until i find one i like, I really wish these places around here had more of a variety on rentals.

I am pretty sure that these questions have been asked over and over.

Then, why did you ask them when you could have searched and read the responses that have been posted numerous times before? :newbie:

FDB said:
So with a 28-30 ft bar what types of wood will NOT be suitable for this saw? Actually the 044 is at a local pawnshop in the area, I just dont wanna get something and not be happy with its performance and be stuck with it. Dont really have the funds to keep buying saws until i find one i like, I really wish these places around here had more of a variety on rentals.

I assume you mean a 28-30" (inch, not foot) bar. That 044 will handle a 28- 32" bar in oak just fine if you run skip chain on it. It really comes down to your budget. I would choose a new saw everytime or a used machine, unless of course it was a CLEAN used saw from someone I know, or an older saw that is no longer made that I wanted to own. I would stay away from pawnshop stuff - usually stolen or used pretty hard. Guys unload stuff at pawnshops for ridiculously low prices (bet the owner paid $100-$150 for that 044). That said, pony up for a new 441 Stihl or 385 Husky - both should suit your needs pretty well and will come with a warranty. Also, since you are using them for firewood (10 cords a month means you have to be selling some) you can write it off on your taxes. BUY NEW.

I understand what you mean about new saws, I feel the same way, but on the other hand I am gonna be pretty upset to go out and spend 800 on a saw that i really dont end up liking. I dont have the money to go out and buy saw after saw until I find one I like. Fishing season is right around the corner and there are some springers coming back with my name on em!

I understand what you mean about new saws, I feel the same way, but on the other hand I am gonna be pretty upset to go out and spend 800 on a saw that i really dont end up liking. I dont have the money to go out and buy saw after saw until I find one I like. Fishing season is right around the corner and there are some springers coming back with my name on em!
Did Stihl stop their satisfaction guarantee policy?

Dude you're in Puyallup... I'm from Orting!:biggrinbounce2: Careful about pawn shop saws. Make sure you can pull the muffler to look at the cylinder and piston. 044/440's up here can have the snot ran out of them. If it is a saw being unloaded by an out of work logger... it might be pretty beat on. Loggers up here usually take good care of their saws, but punish the hell out of them.

Also if it is a small wrist pin saw, you can prolly get a good deal on it. $300 to $350 for one is a pretty good deal, if it is in good shape.

Yes it will pull a 28" bar without any problems. Also a 32" if you really need it too... don't listen to these eastern guys that only run in hardwoods. They think the PNW guys are nuts for runnin' longer bars.

Mine wears a 28" Stihl ES with a 3/8", .050 full skip round chisel chain.

It is a very good dependable saw. Good luck!:rockn:

Gary

I am not sure about a satisfaction guarantee policy, but I guess its something else for me to look into (as far as new ones go).

Orting, well you are literally right down the street, i have friends down there and have actually been thinking of coming down that way to maybe chase some steelies in the carbon. Here in about an hour or so I am gonna go look at this saw.

It would be a rare person indeed who would be unhappy with an 044. Some of the husky zealots may not like them. Ive had mine with 28" inch bar for years very comfortable for its power. I just bought an 066 and am looking for a low hour 044/440 maybe new because i don't want to be without one when they are discontinued.

The 440 is a great saw. I have one that I used with a 32" bar. Funny thing, a dealer in my area had a 441 for $739 and a 361 for $759. :dizzy: I went to another dealer I like better and got the 361 for 600.

440 is a good saw, but if you are cutting a lot of stuff that needs a 32". The 660 has more grunt.

Back