New Chainsaw Purchaser

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks nickocker and Computeruser...

I am not a stihl head and $329 + tax is beyond my Cash budget.

Ok, so let me see 435 would be "overworked" though doable, 455 would be the better choice for my needs and the 445??

I figured the shorter bar thing out. Thanks for the reinforcement.

I have found a number of 455 refurbs for $300 shipped to my door.

SO you are helping me narrow down my choices for my needs.

Ok, this puts me $50 over budget (People never remember Tax. I always quote with tax or shipping included) so 300 for me would be 260 for you.

Now why would I buy this over the 455??

Please be technical...

Don't forget you must pay shipping on any Ebay saw, which is probably more than the tax on a new Stihl 250. If you are quibbling over a few dollars, than look at the saws at the Big Box Retailers.

I have the Stihl 260 which is a light and durable saw. Do a search of the 250 and will find it's also very reliable and a solid performer. It's also 3 lbs less than the 455 Rancher and should cut the wood you describe with no problem. Stihl saws are well designed and easy to do routine maintenance. Dealer support is also worth something.

Thanks for you insight.

WHat would you recommend....

I was thinking one of the Home Depot rental 6401 would be good for you, which someone else recommended, which would fit your budget well. The biggest problem I see with your situation is that you may end up with a saw that fits your budget, but not your needs. The saw won't perform well and may die an early death. Then you are back at square one.

Don't forget you must pay shipping on any Ebay saw, which is probably more than the tax on a new Stihl 250. If you are quibbling over a few dollars, than look at the saws at the Big Box Retailers.

I have the Stihl 260 which is a light and durable saw. Do a search of the 250 and will find it's also very reliable and a solid performer. It's also 3 lbs less than the 455 Rancher and should cut the wood you describe with no problem. Stihl saws are well designed and easy to do routine maintenance. Dealer support is also worth something.

Big Redd, the prices I am looking at include shipping. I never view any item based on bid or BIN price. I always view based on Bid/BIN + Shipping

I am sure many an ebayer has encounter the .99 cent deal only to find the shipping is $40 or more. LOL.

I'll throw a vote in for the Echo - they've got a new 450 out.

I've got a 440, and love it. No, I'm not a pro, but I've probably run more than 100 tanks of gas through it. Not too heavy, not too light, not too fast, not too slow, not to expensive, never had an issue with it.

Thanks for the input Jeepin. The only echo in my range at this point is the 400. I hadnt heard anything bad about them, but...

I wish I could buy all 3, test em and return the ones I dont like. LOL.

Don't forget you must pay shipping on any Ebay saw, which is probably more than the tax on a new Stihl 250.

Not necessarily. I just bought a reconditioned Husky 455 on eBay for $329 with free shipping. The seller is a standup guy. The saw arrived minus the bar (escaped through a small hole in the box), and he immediately shipped a new bar. Then I discovered the chain oiler didn't work. The seller immediately shipped another powerhead plus a new chain to cover my cost of shipping the bad one back (he didn't wait for me to ship the bad one before shipping the new one).

I was not thrilled with the problems I encountered in the deal, but I am thrilled with the seller's customer service. And now that I have a working saw, I'm also thrilled with the 455!

Project Firewood 2009 is now completed! :clap:

Which seller?

Not necessarily. I just bought a reconditioned Husky 455 on eBay for $329 with free shipping. The seller is a standup guy. The saw arrived minus the bar (escaped through a small hole in the box), and he immediately shipped a new bar. Then I discovered the chain oiler didn't work. The seller immediately shipped another powerhead plus a new chain to cover my cost of shipping the bad one back (he didn't wait for me to ship the bad one before shipping the new one).

I was not thrilled with the problems I encountered in the deal, but I am thrilled with the seller's customer service. And now that I have a working saw, I'm also thrilled with the 455!

Project Firewood 2009 is now completed! :clap:

Interesting, I've not seen them for less than $360 + Shipping.

Could you direct me....

Hey Man I wont tell you to buy a Stihl but look at my sig. I just bought a 290 for a friend $359 out the door tax and all. Best deal for the dollar in my area.
If the 455 is used beware- Traded for one and found out the hard way about a problem with them. The bearings on the plastic front ones are incapsulated in rubber, over time they break down and the crank goes to wobbling around. The old 55 or the 455's with the metal front don't have these kind of bearings. Just a thought.

Hey Man I wont tell you to buy a Stihl but look at my sig. I just bought a 290 for a friend $359 out the door tax and all. Best deal for the dollar in my area.
If the 455 is used beware- Traded for one and found out the hard way about a problem with them. The bearings on the plastic front ones are incapsulated in rubber, over time they break down and the crank goes to wobbling around. The old 55 or the 455's with the metal front don't have these kind of bearings. Just a thought.

Possum, thats the kind of REAL feedback I need as well. I had an Old Delta 88 with a Plastic Bearing at the output shaft of the Tranny. Was nothing but a Nuisance. Part routinely failed. Of course I was young and punched that V8, but still PLASTIC. USE METAL PLEASE!!!!!

SO stay away from the 455's with a Plastic Front.... Only go for the Metal fronts.... Or prepare for the failure of that part. Must be some cheap rubber

Thanks....

Last edited:
check your local tractor supply for refurbs if cost is a big deal. You can get husky refurbs w/ full warrenty.
(p.s. I wont buy off a box store)

check your local tractor supply for refurbs if cost is a big deal. You can get husky refurbs w/ full warrenty.
(p.s. I wont buy off a box store)

You are speaking of this place right???

http://www.tractorsupply.com

I remember them when I lived in PA. There was one 2 miles from my house. Loved that place.
There is one about 30 miles from me. I'll check em out.

I think ur going about it the wrong way with ur buget so low. Buy a saw that meets ur needs and not ur budget, you'll only end up wishing u spent more. I tried your way and failed I now own a ms230, ms381, ms441, ms660 and the bid daddy the ms880.

I hate recomending the BORG's but if the last few bucks are make it or break it, I think you can get the 455 rancher at the blue BORG. If you look around you can get 10% coupons to lowes all of the time. So that would take another $30+ off the rancher. Personally I wasn't willing to do that, for my latest purchase. I have 2 local dealers that are excellent to work with. I wouldn't feel right bringing a saw for service that I bought from the BORG. Customer service is everything to me, and worth the extra $30. But if the money is the deal breaker go for it, lots of people by from the large stores.

If you are condiering the 435 you might want to take a look a the Stihl MS211. It is in the same price range and class as the husky.

Well, I'm a DIY firewood type, but only 4 cord/yr or so. Still, we have land and I help others. I've owned a little of everything, but my 029 is by far the most reliable and easiest to deal with saw. I got it in excellent shape, used, for $150. You gotta watch Craigslist, bulletin boards, etc, for the right deal. Try for a homeowner who is moving to the city or some such. With your experience, you should be able to smell the saws that have seen reasonably light duty. If the case is scarred and beaten up, the saw has probably seen hard service and may or may not be OK. At your price, there may not be anything new that fills the bill. I have an MS250 that I bought new for $300, but it's a little light for your use. The used 029 is heavier, but much more satisfactory for 16" wood. I bury the 20" bar occasionally and it keeps going.

Now, IF you find a Mac Timberbear in GOOD shape and IF you can make it hold together and IF you can handle its incredible weight, then it may be a bargain at $75 or so. I bought one from Harbor Freight for $175 and have worked on it continuously for years. The oiltank screw was loose and I had to take the tank apart to fix it. The brake ratchet is a poor fit on its pin and the slop makes the brake fall on all the time. Nevertheless, it's fairly powerful, has a slow torquey power curve and a decomp valve and is really great too start, even after months of layup. This is just to show you the other side of the coin.

I bought my son a 254XP, used, for $150. It's a good runner, more powerful than the MS250, but has eaten two pistons! The original owner got several yrs out of it, but we seem to have gotten it just as the cylinder started to score. If it didn't eat pistons, it would be our favorite, except that we had to build an exhaust deflector to keep it from frying out right hand. I don't know how the other guy stood it. I expect we'll put a port on the front of the muffler if we get a good piston.

Speaking of getting things, the 254 is a rare saw and almost no one has used parts. New OEM parts are wildly expensive.

There's no question that getting a new saw and babying it is the best value, but buying used wisely can get you by until the budget improves. And anything you buy used and keep in good shape will return a lot of its price when you can trade up.

With care, you can get several years out of a little Poulan, which can keep you from having to use the heavy saw for everything.

You can't afford an Ebay mistake, so stick with people someone can recommend from direct experience.

Hang tough, take your time, watch for deals, trades, chances to work off a purchase for someone who is unable to handle their saw due to age, health, etc. A couple of days of cutting, clearing, etc, might buy you a decent saw!

Wow, that was windy,

Thanks Infomet.

Used is a viable option. You guys have been great. This has eased my mind with regards to a way to go.

To All:
And thank-you for not Stihl-heading me to death....

I saw a good deal on an MS390 that I think I'll check out. It is in my price range (used) and I can put my hands on it and check her out before I plop down the cash.

If it falls through, I know I can fall back on the Refurb Husky 455 or something else used. What I had not seen were decent powered Stihls in my price range. I have perused this site and there are options.

My purchase will be made in 7 days, so I'll report back as to what I did and how happy or unhappy I am. LOL.

I can't tell you what saw to buy but I would spend a little extra now for one that will do the job and last awhile.Get it over with now.From what I have read and seen the Dolmar 5100 would be a good cutter.I only cut 5 cords a year about the same size wood you will be cutting and have a Snellerized Husqvarna 359 to get it done.I have a Husqvarna rancher 44 with a muffler mod that would do the job but I don't want to spend all day doing something I can do in less than half a day.:chainsaw::givebeer:

Back