New house & woodburner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gretschdrummer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First I want to say hello to all. Been lurking around here for awhile..I just the pulled the trigger on a construction loan and wanted to get you all's opinion on a outside woodburner. I have been told that it will be a wase of time. I will have an all electric house and have about 27 acres of woods. What would you all do put one up or just use electric heat. Thanks for the ideas.

Scott

Pretty much everyone here has a passion for cutting and heating with wood. So the response to a question such as that to guys like us will be largely one sided. Really only you can determine if doing this is right for yourself.

I can tell you some of the reasons many of us like heating with wood:

We see, feel and appreciate the value of our hard work every day in the winter (as do our families).

We like being more self sufficient.

We don't like sending our money to countries that would like to see ours destroyed.

We don't like getting ripped off by fuel/propane companies that make up new rules/fees/charges for rediculous reasons. This is our way of telling them to pound sand.

We love working outdoors, in the woods, with good tools and a good buddy.

We know there is an underused resource laying all over on the ground in the woods and it's free for the taking.

We feel like we just won the lottery when we find a new honeyspot.

We like to tinker with our stoves/furnaces. Most of us are pretty mechanically inclined and aren't afraid to work on anything.

We like the feeling of taking a bit of a step back in time, heating with the fuel used mostly years ago. It makes us feel a connection to a simpler time.

Guys will come up with a hundred more reasons we like it and keep doing it. But if this line of thought isn't up your alley then theres some other things to think about:

This is an expensive initial investment. You need to stick with it for a few years to make it pay off.

Do you have the time to put up the wood?

Will you mind filling the furnace, maybe a few times a day, when it's cold and snowing or when your tired or sick?

It's a big committment, cutting enough wood for winter and filling the furnace everyday, sometimes a few times a day. Not knowing your interests or lifestyle - we can't really answer it for you.

I love my outdoor furnace. The heat is great, our hot water never runs out. I love getting ready for winter and enjoy going out to fill the thing. I've had it for 2 years and I still find myself outside in the yard just watching it run. There's something really satisfying about standing outside when its a calm -25 degree night, watching the smoke come out of the stack. I also find myself checking out my woodpile with pride, counting the rows I have left and figuring out if I will have extra in the spring. It's been a great investment for our family, it was a fun project to put in, and I look forward to many more fall woodcutting days with my brother and my boys. Hope this helps.

First I want to say hello to all. Been lurking around here for awhile..I just the pulled the trigger on a construction loan and wanted to get you all's opinion on a outside woodburner. I have been told that it will be a wase of time. I will have an all electric house and have about 27 acres of woods. What would you all do put one up or just use electric heat. Thanks for the ideas.

Scott
Welcome to the site.
Well it seems to me that you got all the right toys, and 27 acres of woods. If you love running a chainsaw, then go for it.

I like wood heat and running saws. Lots of folks head to the gym after work, I go into the woods. In the end I have something to show for my sweat.

If you was just starting out with no splitter, saw, or gator then thats alot to buy along with the OWB. But the real bonus is you got lots of wooded land.

I built a 1660 sq ft house with a basement a couple of years ago. I added a OWB and went all electric. My monthly bills for electric (.11/KwH) are about 80-95$ in the winter. I bought a super efficient hot water heater (all plastic/foam insulation) and used closed cell spray foam insulation in walls and ceiling.

I have never turned my electric furnace on so I guess I don't have a cost comparison for that. OWB's are work and take time to tend but, I don't mind.

I would do it again.

I think the cost of my Hardy H2, pex, exchanger... was a little less than 6K and I installed it.

Pretty much everyone here has a passion for cutting and heating with wood. So the response to a question such as that to guys like us will be largely one sided. Really only you can determine if doing this is right for yourself.

I can tell you some of the reasons many of us like heating with wood:

We see, feel and appreciate the value of our hard work every day in the winter (as do our families).

We like being more self sufficient.

We don't like sending our money to countries that would like to see ours destroyed.

We don't like getting ripped off by fuel/propane companies that make up new rules/fees/charges for rediculous reasons. This is our way of telling them to pound sand.

We love working outdoors, in the woods, with good tools and a good buddy.

We know there is an underused resource laying all over on the ground in the woods and it's free for the taking.

We feel like we just won the lottery when we find a new honeyspot.

We like to tinker with our stoves/furnaces. Most of us are pretty mechanically inclined and aren't afraid to work on anything.

We like the feeling of taking a bit of a step back in time, heating with the fuel used mostly years ago. It makes us feel a connection to a simpler time.

Guys will come up with a hundred more reasons we like it and keep doing it. But if this line of thought isn't up your alley then theres some other things to think about:

This is an expensive initial investment. You need to stick with it for a few years to make it pay off.

Do you have the time to put up the wood?

Will you mind filling the furnace, maybe a few times a day, when it's cold and snowing or when your tired or sick?

It's a big committment, cutting enough wood for winter and filling the furnace everyday, sometimes a few times a day. Not knowing your interests or lifestyle - we can't really answer it for you.

I love my outdoor furnace. The heat is great, our hot water never runs out. I love getting ready for winter and enjoy going out to fill the thing. I've had it for 2 years and I still find myself outside in the yard just watching it run. There's something really satisfying about standing outside when its a calm -25 degree night, watching the smoke come out of the stack. I also find myself checking out my woodpile with pride, counting the rows I have left and figuring out if I will have extra in the spring. It's been a great investment for our family, it was a fun project to put in, and I look forward to many more fall woodcutting days with my brother and my boys. Hope this helps.

Well said!!:cheers:

:agree2:
It's also the freedom to turn up the thermostat if you feel like it and not have to worry about the bill going up. I'll just throw in a few more sticks of wood!

Guys you have really helped me out alot.. yes I love cutting wood. Me and my family.. a.k.a cousin will cut wood anytime for family and friends.. I have been running a buckstove and some portable electric heaters for our heat for the last 3 years. I really appreciate S. todd taking the time to give me a great daily insite of what it takes..I love tinkering on things always outside anyways...so it looks like that is the way to go.. now can anybodygive me some ideas on brands and why you bought them.. I am right across the river from Louisville,ky. Thanks again Guys you have no idea how much this site has helped me...

Scott

As far as brands go you will get a ton of different answers. But they will be good ones from the folks on here. I will tell you what I have and why I went with it. I looked at the Central Boilers and Woodmasters.

I bought the Woodmaster 4400. The reason for going with it was:

#1 Know of a couple of people that had them and were very happy with them. Also know of people that had the CB's and were very happy with them.

#2 I liked the idea of the forced air by the fan.

#3 The Woodmaster dealer was closer to me and I know the guy that does the repairs for the dealer. Both dealers were nice guys but got a better vibe from the Woodmaster dealer.

#4 The Woodmaster dealer gave me a discount making the OWB and supplies about $2000.00 less than the Central Boiler.

I probably would have been just as happy with a CB but absolutely love my WM. Don't know anything about any of the other brands so can't comment on them.

Good Luck!

my buddy di the same thing.

he got the classic model.that is the one they push.if you never plan on building barns or pools and heating them,get the smallest one you can to match your house.i notice from folks that have them,they waste a lot of wood by having too big of a boiler.

Well Guys I am going to talk to a couple dealers this weekend. I plan to start the basment probably in about 45 days.. need to make sure my P's and Q's are straight before I pour my walls... Thanks again guys by the way I will be heating a 1200 sqft pole barn and most likely my hot tub..Do you all see any formention problems.. Thanks again,

Scott

Scott

gretsch,

Are you budgeting for a fireplace in the house?

Take a gander at quadrafires fireplace if you are.
We did, and it heats our place just fine, and no boiler to fuss with if you are concerned with neighbors whining and that sort of thing.

Electric is not free, and not an option really.:D

Once ya get to running the OWB or stove, you'll start scheming to get around the Electric bill completely... it's the healthy thing to do.

Good luck, and make sure to post pics!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am on my second year of having a new house with an OWB. I heat a house that is about 2,200 square feet and a 1,800 square foot garage. I have a good heat pump in the house that I don't use much - I heat with the OWB. My initial plan was to only use the OWB when the temperature dropped below 40 - but my OWB works so well I use it a lot. I may go back to my original plan later on...but after the power complany cleared the right of way on my property they left me with a bunch of wood I need to get burned. This year I will be heating entirely with limbs....next year I can start burning the larger wood.

I have 27 acres and about 10 acres of woods, and the trees that die or drop limbs will provide all the wood I ever need. Our electric bill in the winter is about 70 a month, and I believe a big portion of that is our electric clothes drier. If you get up to the Cincinnati area you are welcome to come over and see my house and OWB......I am sure it would give you some ideas for your layout.

In hindsight I probably bought too good of a heat pump and could have saved some money on that.....as I only use it in the summer for A/C. I am glad the company that did my heating and cooling talked me out of geothermal....they knew I would never realize a payback as I would be using the OWB when it got cold enough for the geothermal to be a benefit over a conventional heat pump.

As I said in another thread....
Design your system carefully, thouroughly, don't scrimp...it's less costlier to do than to redo. OWB's are fine, oversize not bad if you are going to add on later, you can burn too much wood in too small of a boiler too. If you are looking at a gasifier, the CB E-Classic seems ok so far, check here in the spring for post-game wrap-ups from the users. If your'e leaning towards a Garn, Greenwood or other indoor gasifiers the guys in the Boiler Room at ********** are really into them, and can offer valuable advice....Good luck. mfm

:clap: :clap:

I really appreciate the info... keep them coming.. I am taking it all in..I dont know what models these dealers carry. I will some info and refer to my board of experts lol.....:clap:

i'd get some kind of temp regulator.

Well Guys I am going to talk to a couple dealers this weekend. I plan to start the basment probably in about 45 days.. need to make sure my P's and Q's are straight before I pour my walls... Thanks again guys by the way I will be heating a 1200 sqft pole barn and most likely my hot tub..Do you all see any formention problems.. Thanks again,

Scott

my buddy was all excited about getting his free hot tub and hooking it up.i asked him how many hot tubs he has been in at 180 degrees.he about fell over and andmitted he hadn't thought of that.hot tubs generally run around 101-102 degrees.i am sure they make something.

Latest posts

Back