New member, first post, first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slowp
There are two great saw shops to the south of you. Head down I-5 to Chehalis. Madsons can be found by googling directions, I go there but can't explain the street names. They carry Stihl and Husky saws. Just about another mile down the road, is Service Saw and Workwear. They are on the east side of the interstate, opposite the Walmart cluster. Take the Chamber Way exit cross over to the east side, take the first road south, there's a Shell Station across from their business. They are an elite Stihl dealer. Both do a lot of business with fallers and thinning crews. Service Saw does have some logs out back. They might be for trying out saws on?

Both places sell stylish rigging clothes and all the safety gear you'd want along with some you might not want. Sometimes Madsons has a bin of not quite perfect plastic falling wedges offered at a good discount.

Both places have very good customer service.

avason

avason

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
gotta tell ya that you'll hear alot about the husky and stihl around here. I have huskies but have run some other saws. I would not forget about the other saws likd makita...(yes I said it) and dolmar. I would look into pricing of those saws. If you have dealers around i would look into something else!!:sword::sword::sword:

MacLaren

MacLaren

Addicted to ArboristSite
There are two great saw shops to the south of you. Head down I-5 to Chehalis. Madsons can be found by googling directions, I go there but can't explain the street names. They carry Stihl and Husky saws. Just about another mile down the road, is Service Saw and Workwear. They are on the east side of the interstate, opposite the Walmart cluster. Take the Chamber Way exit cross over to the east side, take the first road south, there's a Shell Station across from their business. They are an elite Stihl dealer. Both do a lot of business with fallers and thinning crews. Service Saw does have some logs out back. They might be for trying out saws on?

Both places sell stylish rigging clothes and all the safety gear you'd want along with some you might not want. Sometimes Madsons has a bin of not quite perfect plastic falling wedges offered at a good discount.

Both places have very good customer service.

Very good advice my friend. I would do as slowp says. I have dealt with Madsens and have been very happy with them. IMO, best advice yet.

I'MALUMBERJACK

I'MALUMBERJACK

Lots of great info on this forum, I have been snooping around for a few days.

I am looking to purchase my first chainsaw. I will have a house on 5 acres in a month or so and have a big pile of trees to cut for firewood. They are mostly doug firs, maybe some maple and 2' diameter at most. Probably will not cut anything over 3'. I plan to use the saw to cut firewood, either on my property or elsewhere, mainly on weekends.

I am looking at Stihls due to local dealer and repair. I do not think I need a pro saw, unless convinced otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
:givebeer:

I too am new to AS, but I've been viewing for a few months.
For the size trees you'd be felling & bucking I've used a Stihl 440 Magnum with 20" & 28" bars for several years. With practice you'll easily get through 40 inch timber. The advantage to the pro saws typically are higher power-to-weight ratio... and more fun to run. If the wood is clean (not been skidded) a full chisel chain will work well (Stihl RS or RSC), without having to do any fancy carving. Just my two-cents worth (and about $900).
May your fuel & oil always be fresh and your chain sharp.

:chainsaw:

Anthony_Va.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
I have to say 361 or 362. Check to see if your dealer has any 361s left. If he does, offer him 500 bucks for it and see what kind of price he deals you back.

I bought mine from ebay, barely used for 500 bucks and it has the PNW kit(wrap handlebar, dual dawgs, extended clutch cover). If you watch long enough you will find a great deal on a 361 or 362 on the bay.

I see the 362 around here for 669. Good price for a good saw. You can mod the muffler and almost have 440 power out of a 361. Probably do the same to a 362. People here can teach you how to do it and it's fairly simple.

If you can find a good deal on a barely used 440, 044, 460, etc., then they would do you right also.

The 391 is a little heavier than the 361 or 362 but has about the same power. The 361/362 balances alot better and feels great in the hands. Both will pull a 20" bar easily and even a 25 preety good when you need to use it.

madhatte

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
361 pulls a 25" juuuuuuust fine in PNW softwoods.

DSCF0014.jpg

adder31

adder31

ArboristSite Lurker
adder31
Have you used chainsaws before? If so which one(s)? I find it difficult to recommend a 70cc saw to a first time sawyer.

I have not used chainsaws before, so I will keep that in mind.

Slowp, thanks for the saw shop recommendations, will definitely give them a call tomorrow and head down there one of these days. I also found out that Kitsap Tractor is having a sale on saws in a few weeks, so I might wait to see prices on 362s and 391s.

porch monkey

porch monkey

ArboristSite Guru
adder31
Have you used chainsaws before? If so which one(s)? I find it difficult to recommend a 70cc saw to a first time sawyer.
I agree...he said in the title to the post that its his first saw. But some of these guys around here will have a guy buying an $800 saw for his first one.

It sounds to me like the MS290 with an 18" bar would do pretty much everthing he wants to do AND save him some money. Once he gets some experience with it if he thinks its too small he can get most of his money back for it and trade up. That will give him some experience with saws without spending to much money on his first one. Looks to me like that would be the SMART thing to do. But for some reason the 290/029 - a real firewood cutting legend - is like a basstard kid around here

slowp
http://www.servicesaw.com/stihl.shtml

Info on the lesser known, but just as good, Service Saw. I love their note saying "We don't do no riggin". Translation: They do not sell chokers, shackles, haywire, and all the other spendy things for yarding logs.

Both places will have the full lineup of Stihls out where you can fondle them. Plus, you get a hat if you buy a saw at Service Saw. Maybe Madsons too?

Even girls can run 360s and 440s.:)

attachment.php

Cliff R

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have a really nice Husqvarna 55 in the Trading Post, you woln't find a nicer one anyplace, and it's PLENTY of saw for what you are doing. Take the money that's left over and grab up an Echo CS-370 or CS-400 on Ebay so you can have a reliable limbing saw, and something to cut the 55 loose when it gets "pinched"......LOL.....Cliff

Saw Dr.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
I agree...he said in the title to the post that its his first saw. But some of these guys around here will have a guy buying an $800 saw for his first one.

It sounds to me like the MS290 with an 18" bar would do pretty much everthing he wants to do AND save him some money. Once he gets some experience with it if he thinks its too small he can get most of his money back for it and trade up. That will give him some experience with saws without spending to much money on his first one. Looks to me like that would be the SMART thing to do. But for some reason the 290/029 - a real firewood cutting legend - is like a basstard kid around here

I have a really nice Husqvarna 55 in the Trading Post, you woln't find a nicer one anyplace, and it's PLENTY of saw for what you are doing. Take the money that's left over and grab up an Echo CS-370 or CS-400 on Ebay so you can have a reliable limbing saw, and something to cut the 55 loose when it gets "pinched"......LOL.....Cliff

Both of these guys are on the right track. Start out with a Stihl 290 or Husky 55. Those are pretty much the farm-standard around here. If you have to learn a few lessons along the way and and up snapping a few A/V mounts or dropping a tree on the saw, at least you won't be out a $600 machine. If you are mechanically inclined, the Husky will be no problem. You can order parts online for them if you must. Stihl you will need a good dealer, though.

ckelp

ckelp

just being myself
:agree2: personalty i say buy a plasticly poulan:monkey: i've seen alot of them in cragslist for under $50 run safety chain i could get 2 chains for $15 so you don't worry about hitting the ground the first couple times.
wear saw chaps, don't put yourself in to a pinch point. theres alot of knowledge here, use it. sit back and let the CAD take you over:chainsaw:

slowp
361 pulls a 25" juuuuuuust fine in PNW softwoods.

DSCF0014.jpg

Yes! I think a good quality medium sized saw is the kind to get. Why get a crappy little saw? It'll take you much longer to cut anything, you might want to push on it to try to force it to go faster, and you will get just as tired because you have to run the thing longer. :bang:

A 361 with a full comp round file chain is a good way to go. Or, if you don't mind a bit of "kick" buy a skip chain. Tell the guys at Service Saw or Madsen's that you want a Landing Saw setup. They'll sell you a chain that will last longer in dirty wood and can take a bit of abuse. Skip works fine in our soft conifers. Just hold the saw properly, pay attention to where the tip of the bar is, and you should be fine.

Latest posts