New Mid-Size saw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the 550xp is the one for me:) I wanna get a muff mod and woods port. Anyone know any shops that can do that very well around Harrisburg pa???

Yes, and that's why you arrive at the more or less "impossible" conclution - choosing a bulky, slow reving and clumcy handling saw, over the slim and nimble saws with a snappy throttle responce. :D

Ya to be quite honest I'm partial to 026/260's. However, I hardly use 50cc saws at all anymore. I prefer to use a larger 70cc saw 95% of the time.

I think the 550xp is the one for me:) I wanna get a muff mod and woods port. Anyone know any shops that can do that very well around Harrisburg pa???

You should be happy with your new saw. I know dozerdan (a member on here) used to port saw and is in PA, but I'm not sure if he ports saws or if he is a sponsor anymore.

You will probably have to send your saw out to someone to get it ported and there are many reputable builders on the site.

Last edited:
Fikset skrivemåten. Bære på!

I fixed the one mistake I found - but I don't really understand what the last two words of you post means (meaningless in Norwegian) - but I can imagine about what you meant by it! :D

Edit, fixed one more mistake....

Last edited:
I fixed the one mistake I found - but I don't really understand what the last two words of you post means (meaningless in Norwegian) - but I can imagine about what you meant by it! :D

Google translate says his verbage said: "Fixed spelling. Carry on!"

A ported 346 is stronger saw than either a ported 550 or ported 261 (the slowest of the three).

Didn't you just sell a ported 261 to someone the other day?

I think the jury is still out how well a 550 can do ported, but I don't think it is concluded that it will never be as fast as a ported 346. Who really cares, the guy made a choice on what saw he is going with and I think he will be more than happy with it.

Didn't you just sell a ported 261 to someone the other day?

I think the jury is still out how well a 550 can do ported, but I don't think it is concluded that it will never be as fast as a ported 346. Who really cares, the guy made a choice on what saw he is going with and I think he will be more than happy with it.

I don't disagree. It will take some time bf the builders figure out what works with the 550.

No, the 261 I sold was totally stock. And they are no stronger than a stock 346, I don't care what others say. I have run them both in the woods and cut cookies with them for hours side-by-side, going back and forth, trading saws with my brother. I can't see any power advantage for either one. The 346 is a snappier revver, and it is a lighter saw.

The weight of a saw with a bar is meaningless bc the bar weight can vary a pound or more.

346's are 11lb 4oz
261's are 11lb 14oz
550's are an ounce or so shy of 11lbs.

That sounds like it is very close to true, even though I would expect the 346 xp to be an ounce or two lighter... :msp_smile:

Last edited:
I don't disagree. It will take some time bf the builders figure out what works with the 550.

No, the 261 I sold was totally stock. And they are no stronger than a stock 346, I don't care what others say. I have run them both in the woods and cut cookies with them for hours side-by-side, going back and forth, trading saws with my brother. I can't see any power advantage for either one. The 346 is a snappier revver, and it is a lighter saw.

Why did you let that guy walk out of the door with a 261 when you had ported 346's you could sell them?

My main point is sometimes we take it too personal (including me) when a fellow AS member is making a decision on what saw to choose and he decides on one we wouldn't have chosen. Like I said, I'm sure he will be happy with the 550, 261, or 346.

Personal stabs

send a pm.

I would, but sleep meds ahve kicked in. Good night. Schlaf scheun. Sei gesuhnt. Gruess Got. Nighty night. Laptop almost dead ....

Amazes me how some can talk about a saw when he has only seen pictures of them and never ran them :laugh:

IMO

OP just buy what feels right to you, opinions are just that, Opinions! its your saw after all, they all cut wood.

Why did you let that guy walk out of the door with a 261 when you had ported 346's you could sell them?

My main point is sometimes we take it too personal (including me) when a fellow AS member is making a decision on what saw to choose and he decides on one we wouldn't have chosen. Like I said, I'm sure he will be happy with the 550, 261, or 346.

I didn't even have an NE available, period.

I agree with your last paragraph and think it pretty well sum up the arguement (for the most part). There are some that prefer childish attack on those that they disagree with.

Latest posts

Back