new saw, husky, stihl or poulan pro for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deer down

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
here is my scenario, wifey bought me a husky 435 for christmas from lowes. however i would like to buy one from a dealer, since im an archery fanatic i buy all my gear from a dealer and support them and they support me, i assume chainsaws are the same. My ol man has a little 35cc still with a 16 bar and does everything with that little bastard on his 30 acres in central michigan.I have ran that saw and its nice, just seems to need a little more motor. from what i gathered stihl or husky i can't go wrong, seems the husky have better fuel consumption and for the same size motor as a stihl the husky seems to have more torque. i am unsettled between a husky 440e or a 450e, and a buddy of mine just bought a poulan pro 50cc with a 20' bar, said it rips for about half the money. now im 34yr old pipe fitter/hvac guy and i work with the tools everyday so i doubt 1.5lbs is going to make a difference. so my question for you guys that cut alot of wood and repairs saws, what would you buy? sorry so long winded, just trying to make the right choice, thanks in advance

I'd skip the Poulan unless you only do very light, occasional work. It may rip for half the price of a comparable Stihl or Husky, but it will only rip for half as long under moderate to hard use IMHO. I'm an archery guy to and believe in supporting my local businesses just as you do. You really can't beat a Husky, Stihl farm and ranch or pro grade saw. Echo, Redmax and Dolmar/Makita are great saws to. It's best to find a Ma and Pop dealer rather than a big chain that also sells Stihl, etc. I'd just stress finding that privately owned local dealer and picking a saw appropriate for the work you intend to do with it.

The saw wouldnt see a whole of use. Helping dad cut firewood and fallen trees. Also trail clean up on hunting leases

No saw, regardless of size or brand, will measure up........unless it gets a muffler mod and the engine ported.

Just ask anyone on this forum.
Would that just make the saw kick more arse?

Seems when I buy the saw I should just go ahead and get another chain to?

I would get the 455 rancher if they still make it. i would get the biggest they sell at the big box store.
your saw was around $200 the 455 is around $400 and will retain some value for awhile.. you will get many opinions on here. the way i see it your dad already has a little saw, i would go 50cc plus, so you can handle the bigger stuff.

and the dealer probably wont kiss your butt over a couple hundred dollar purchase anyway. go there to buy chains and oil.

Last edited:
My saw was 269 at lowes I think and the 450 is 369. Im not worried about spending money if I get good stuff . Almost considered the 50cc xp. But can justify that cash for as little as I would use it.

If you want to support your local shop, find one you like. Like you said, both Sthil and Husk make top quality saws. A good saw shop will help you find a good saw, let you try it, and be fun to buy from. Some dealers are crap, so don't pick based on manufacturer.

I kept the saw my wife bought me until it ate its guts. That's how I found this place. Probably would still be alive if I had found this place sooner and ran synthetic oil along with a higher oil ratio.

I'd keep the 435 and use it to learn on. Get a good chain - WoodlandPRO/Carlton would be good - and see how it goes. I do all of my firewood gathering with small homeowner class saws, most around 40cc. I have a 46cc and my largest is a 55cc McCulloch. If you want something else you'll have time to research it here, and the 435 will still be nice as a small light saw.

the 440e is basically the same saw with just a tick more power with the tool less chain adjust for like 10$ more, Im so on the fence its ridiculous, im positive i have over thought this, lol, wish there was a place i could go try em all out. just worried i might wish i had more power. had anyone ever said man i wish i had a smaller saw????

no one will ever say that as long as they have big and small saws. if you want to make this a bit of a hobby get an xp. maybe sell a little firewood to justify it.

can we talk you in to buying 2 saws

Back