new saw, husky, stihl or poulan pro for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 440e is basically the same saw with just a tick more power with the tool less chain adjust for like 10$ more, Im so on the fence its ridiculous, im positive i have over thought this, lol, wish there was a place i could go try em all out. just worried i might wish i had more power. had anyone ever said man i wish i had a smaller saw????
personally don't like toolless adjuster, and there are those that have traded down... I have...

I mean how often would you need to adj. The chain.
As you use a saw, the chain stretches. If you don't adjust it and take the slack out, you'll end throwing the chain off of the bar. If the drive links get buggered up with burrs when this happens, you'll have to file the burrs off before you can use the chain again.
When you're finished cutting, you should loosen up the chain. As it cools, it contracts and can put stress on the bearings. Before you cut the next time, you will need to take the slack out.
It's easy to do but important.

go with the poulan pro all the way!...mine eats sthils and huskies for snacks...not even enuf to make a meal!
Wow that is funny!! Now on a more serious note . The tooless adjusters do not hold the chain tight very long. So I have heard. I would never own one.

funny? I think not...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...why yes it does have a boost port....

it sounds like you dont cut a whole lot and yes your dad can take care of most anything on his property with a 16" bar saw...it all depends on how much time and effort you want to spend doing this work...bigger saws and bigger bars means less cuts to get the job done but i also wear a back belt when running this baby. I always try to figure out the tree size before bringing a saw in to do work. never want to bring more saw than i need. the difference between the saws is that which one do you want to last the longest before it breaks(depending on operator skill)
because they ALL break eventually and the more expensive the saw is to buy, the more expensive they are to fix. poulans cost less and parts are cheaper to buy. and if you know the saw and take care of it it will last 10-20 years... longer with a rebuild but some stihl/husky guys can't be told that. even a trustworthy saw shop will tell you that. too many stihl dealers around here look at a poulan and turn their nose up at it saying "cheaper to buy a new stihl here than fix that piece of junk." my go to shop here works on anything and gets me any part i need(within reason). those are the guys you need to find and patronize. but any saw can run and be made to run great within any budget. rersearch, research, rersearch!...and buy lots of different saws lol...
P.S. stick with the 435 for now...good learner saw

here is my scenario, wifey bought me a husky 435 for christmas from lowes. however i would like to buy one from a dealer, since im an archery fanatic i buy all my gear from a dealer and support them and they support me, i assume chainsaws are the same. My ol man has a little 35cc still with a 16 bar and does everything with that little bastard on his 30 acres in central michigan.I have ran that saw and its nice, just seems to need a little more motor. from what i gathered stihl or husky i can't go wrong, seems the husky have better fuel consumption and for the same size motor as a stihl the husky seems to have more torque. i am unsettled between a husky 440e or a 450e, and a buddy of mine just bought a poulan pro 50cc with a 20' bar, said it rips for about half the money. now im 34yr old pipe fitter/hvac guy and i work with the tools everyday so i doubt 1.5lbs is going to make a difference. so my question for you guys that cut alot of wood and repairs saws, what would you buy? sorry so long winded, just trying to make the right choice, thanks in advance

I would at least move up to a 50cc class saw. You have a 40cc, moving to 45cc is not going to buy you much.
If you're not going to be using it much, look at the Poulan 5020. It's not the meanest, fastest, lightest or best 50cc saw but it's serviceable and generally less than $200. Put a decent chain on it, keep it sharp and it'll do what you need.

A smaller saw can get the job done and is usually lighter. But a larger more powerful saw can get it done much faster and with less fatigue and fuel because of less cutting time. Most start with a smaller saw and eventually purchase a larger saw for the bigger stuff. We call that a 2 saw plan (usually 40-50cc and 70cc or bigger). That way you can cut small stuff with a small saw and big stuff with a big saw. And then you might want to muff mod them for even more excitement. At this point it's too late! You have now come down with an acute case of cad! Now you need a 60cc or 88cc and so on!

I'd get a 2253 from tlandrum on here and have it ported. Run 3/8 chain on a 16" bar. Wait a minute, I already did.

For the money, including porting, it will put a huge smile on your face.

What size wood are you cutting? Small saws will cut big wood, but at a snails pace. The 2 saw plan works well, a 40 to 50cc and 70cc or so. I started with Stihl and like the fact that bars and chains will interchange from 260's to 660's.

NEVER.....EVER.....get rid of something a wife or girlfriend gets you !! Thats just good policy . The 435 is just fine . Keep it..use it..then see if it fits the bill in the long run . Then you can shelf it most of the time...and bring it out on "special" jobs !!!...Sometimes more power just equals more used gas and a heavier saw . See the lil Dolmar 350 in my avatar ?? 2.0 h.p ....14 inch bar.. But guess what...its the saw I grab 95% of the time . Cuz I know that for as big of firewood Im getting into....anything else is a waste...of my valuable energy mostly :) And I understand the dealer support thing . I have rarely had to even go to a dealer with a Husky or Dolmar . Parts can always be bought online if a fella is mechanically inclined as well . Plus........even if the Husky you mention was bought at a box store...a servicing dealer will still fix it .

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuzz1500 basically wrote what I intended to say. Even if this isn't your dream saw, you wife got it for you because she thought you would like it and it would make you happy. So you WILL like it! You can always get another saw later but for now this is your chainsaw. Use it, learn with it and someday it may be sitting on a shelf but you will point at it and say, "that's the saw my wife bought me." It was nice of your wife to get it for you and if you learn how to keep the chain really sharp it'll out cut many saws of larger size with duller chains.

funny? I think not...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...why yes it does have a boost port....

it sounds like you dont cut a whole lot and yes your dad can take care of most anything on his property with a 16" bar saw...it all depends on how much time and effort you want to spend doing this work...bigger saws and bigger bars means less cuts to get the job done but i also wear a back belt when running this baby. I always try to figure out the tree size before bringing a saw in to do work. never want to bring more saw than i need. the difference between the saws is that which one do you want to last the longest before it breaks(depending on operator skill)
because they ALL break eventually and the more expensive the saw is to buy, the more expensive they are to fix. poulans cost less and parts are cheaper to buy. and if you know the saw and take care of it it will last 10-20 years... longer with a rebuild but some stihl/husky guys can't be told that. even a trustworthy saw shop will tell you that. too many stihl dealers around here look at a poulan and turn their nose up at it saying "cheaper to buy a new stihl here than fix that piece of junk." my go to shop here works on anything and gets me any part i need(within reason). those are the guys you need to find and patronize. but any saw can run and be made to run great within any budget. rersearch, research, rersearch!...and buy lots of different saws lol...
P.S. stick with the 435 for now...good learner saw
this is not me or my saw but lets see if you eat it for lunchms880.jpg

To the OP, great job finding this site. Tons to learn here. As you determine which saw to run, I'd recommend looking into Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Just do a search on PPE and you'll see alot of recommendations for where to buy chaps and helmet and how valuable they are. Also recommend looking at sharpening chain and going to some other forums on AS for cutting, felling techniques, etc...
Now If I were 32 years old again, I'd certainly buy a top quality chainsaw. I know there are a lot of factors in life for how decisions are made, but if there's a chance you'll be cutting wood for the next 30+ years, you'll be happy that you got the best tool you could at the time. Like the Tlandrum 2253 recommended by bcaarms.

You've already got a small saw.

Why not get a Stihl 261cm or equal Husky?(if that's possible)
Use your local dealer. Get to know them and of they are worth their salt you will be a return customer..

I started with an 029 Super an then a few years later picked up an 044.

Thats been a Pretty good Firewood combo.

COME ON BIG WOOD!!!!

Fuzz1500 basically wrote what I intended to say. Even if this isn't your dream saw, you wife got it for you because she thought you would like it and it would make you happy. So you WILL like it! You can always get another saw later but for now this is your chainsaw. Use it, learn with it and someday it may be sitting on a shelf but you will point at it and say, "that's the saw my wife bought me." It was nice of your wife to get it for you and if you learn how to keep the chain really sharp it'll out cut many saws of larger size with duller chains.

Perfectly said !! There's more at play here than just a chainsaw :)

this is not me or my saw but lets see if you eat it for lunchView attachment 326151
cant tell the model on that one but seeing what he's splitting back there id say its a nice photo op...my biggest bars don't get mounted unless they are used that day. waaay to much back strain. but since we are doing photo ops...this one could handle her...

...and it's 'MERICAN! (said with a redneck slang) lol
and I'm sure someone will put an even bigger one on here soon...

Latest posts

Back