new saw, husky, stihl or poulan pro for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my pp5020av took a crap on me, they are cheap for a reason, ok for occational use, but not lots of use

grants pp is not a cheap made saw... its a monster... the 5020av is not a monster, it runs good, but has a weak clutch, handle assembly
and a small cranckshaft.. it runs good it will make a great stock class cookie cutter (mm, retune, 16" bar and full chisel chain)
mine had the handle assembly get so loose that the throttle wouldnt open. (throttle rod doesnt go all the way to the trigger)
Im not a hater but i used it hard for a year and it didnt hold up

my pp5020av took a crap on me, they are cheap for a reason, ok for occational use, but not lots of use

grants pp is not a cheap made saw... its a monster... the 5020av is not a monster, it runs good, but has a weak clutch, handle assembly
and a small cranckshaft.. it runs good it will make a great stock class cookie cutter (mm, retune, 16" bar and full chisel chain)
mine had the handle assembly get so loose that the throttle wouldnt open. (throttle rod doesnt go all the way to the trigger)
btw I won 10 to 15 races in pine cants with my pp5020, with just the retune.. and no mm

btw I won 10 to 15 races in pine cants with my pp5020, with just the retune.. and no mm

Still sounds like an OK saw. Is yours fixable?

I think though for Poulan in that class..if you can cheat and go six more CCs, a 3400 is pretty spiffy.

Sure sounds like it should be fixable? And of course, while you're in there a few mods might be fun.....

the poulan 5020 is a very underrated saw, this past week, I cut, felled, trimed at least 30 trees around my neighborhood, I had that saw for a year and half, all I bought for it was a spark plug and a couple air filters, been flawless. Best of all is the price I paid $180 for it and basically its a husky since they own poulan and jonsered, and mcculloch. You can always support your saw shop by buying chains or parts. A lot of of the husky dealers will order poulan parts for you. At least they do by my area

the poulan 5020 is a very underrated saw, this past week, I cut, felled, trimed at least 30 trees around my neighborhood, I had that saw for a year and half, all I bought for it was a spark plug and a couple air filters, been flawless. Best of all is the price I paid $180 for it and basically its a husky since they own poulan and jonsered, and mcculloch. You can always support your saw shop by buying chains or parts. A lot of of the husky dealers will order poulan parts for you. At least they do by my area
Been wanting to try one out...maybe this new year I will get the chance !!

Yeah, I'm really tempted. I could use just a little larger engine, but it still might look seriously at picking one up.
I see T.S.C. has em for $179........how could a fella go wrong ??

Some of the smaller saws don't have felling spikes. All stihls that I know of do. It's nice to have them for cutting. You can get some leverage and let the saw do the work. Keep that in mind

Your wife picked out a great saw, everyone should have a little Husky kicking around. Im 99% sure that 99% of AS members could do 99% of their work with that little saw, myself included. Alot of tree crews around the area have started using small non-pro husky saws for climbing, bucket and ground work, during the ice storm Asplendha (sp) crews all had little 440 and 445 husky saws, very comparable to your saw.

Still sounds like an OK saw. Is yours fixable?

I think though for Poulan in that class..if you can cheat and go six more CCs, a 3400 is pretty spiffy.
mine had handle turn floppy and broke the recoil.... I went back for warrantey repair
they handed me another and i started to walk out with it ....and ended up trading up to a 450 husky
it seemed like a better saw and I was starting out over $200 ahead

Last edited:
Sure sounds like it should be fixable? And of course, while you're in there a few mods might be fun.....
I just traded up because being $200 ahead gave me a chance at the husky I couldnt ever seem to afford.
not saying I wont ever have another 5020av I would love to have one for a race saw

I just traded up because being $200 ahead gave me a chance at the husky I couldnt ever seem to afford.
not saying I wont ever have another 5020av I would love to have one for a race saw
If you had the chance to swap for a new one there's certainly no point is fixing it, and a trade up is good too.

I will say though that after a year they handed you a new saw - that's not bad.

well today while trying to get my undersized snow blower to push wet snow i made up my mind, im going to get the 50cc. i just hate not having enough motor, sure i can get it done with less saw, and take more time, I can make more money, i cant make more time, so for now i think the 450 husky will be my saw. i mean i would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I will be getting some ppe, and while im at i will be getting my ol man one of them log jacks, them things are slick. thanks everyone who chimed in, a lot of different opinions but they all helped. i think I be spendng less time on archery talk and more time here lol, did i mention i have a small homelite in the garage wth a 14 bar, gonna get it in the shop and get it running again.

If you had the chance to swap for a new one there's certainly no point is fixing it, and a trade up is good too.

I will say though that after a year they handed you a new saw - that's not bad.
the warranty was good I paid 24.00 more for that a year ago :)

well today while trying to get my undersized snow blower to push wet snow i made up my mind, im going to get the 50cc. i just hate not having enough motor, sure i can get it done with less saw, and take more time, I can make more money, i cant make more time, so for now i think the 450 husky will be my saw. i mean i would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I will be getting some ppe, and while im at i will be getting my ol man one of them log jacks, them things are slick. thanks everyone who chimed in, a lot of different opinions but they all helped. i think I be spendng less time on archery talk and more time here lol, did i mention i have a small homelite in the garage wth a 14 bar, gonna get it in the shop and get it running again.
gotta have more than one saw!

Do yourself a favor now that you have decided which saw to buy. Read a few of the "which oil" threads and make an educated descion.

As I stated early in this thread. My saw probably would still be alive if I would have read here sooner.

A caveat of burning up the saw my wife bought. I found this site and it will be a test bed for some cylinder mods and I will breathe life into it again.

Latest posts

Back