New used saw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnarb44

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New guy here, currently have an MS170 for light duty trail clearing and am looking to get a 50cc saw for the bigger stuff. I have some time behind a 346xp and 562xp as well as a few lower end model huskys so I am leaning towards purchasing a nice used pro saw instead of spending the same money on a new homeowner version. I will be using it for some winter firewood duty but nothing like 10+ cord a year, just want a good saw that could last me many years and perform when I need it. I have recently found a used 346xp with a 16 & 20" bars for $280 and Dolmar 5105 for $250. Both are in very good shape and I know I like the weight of the 346xp but kind of want to buy the Dolmar to try it as I liked the ones I have held. Any insight on which is a better value or how reliability over the long hall will be? I have done about as much research as I can and I kind of feel like buying both and selling the one that I am least fond of... Thanks

Welcome to AS. Good choice in used professional saw vs homeowner version. It depends on how big the wood you will be cutting. Generally 60 or 70cc saws will be preferred . You would be happy with either. 346 is good for smaller stuff and will compliment a bigger saw well.

That's a good price for a 346xp. I'd opt for that, Dolmars are a good saw, but parts are a little harder to acquire and dealers aren't as plentiful.

Thanks for the quick replys. I really think the 50cc will be the sweet spot for the wood we are cutting and i do have access to the 562xp for the bigger stuff. I have chatted with fordf150 and his prices are great, if I decide to go new I will be going directly to him, just decided to try to find a good used model. Dolmar dealers are spotty in my area and none of them stock many saws, husky dealers are plentiful. I don't think it is too big of a deal to me being I like to work on my own equipment as long as parts are not hard to get for the Dolmar. I think I could just order my parts from fordf150 and save the time going to the dealers anyway. Are Dolmar parts any more expensive than other brands or are they hard to get?

Before I bought my 6100 I searched a few sites Fordf150 was one and prices seem very responsible and in stock. Between 3 places they have every single part for the 6100 in stock. Yes I am ocd like that

ummmmm.......

just being nice here..... but....

HURRY UP AND BUY THE 346XP FOR $280 BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolmar and Husky are both great, I have owned both and I like both very much.....

The Husky 346XP has a huge following and a great re-sale market and at $280 with two bars, is priced about $200 less than usual used prices on arboristsite (depending on condition of course), the Dolmar is a a great saw but that one is priced about normal used price.

Is the 346xp an original edition (all orange) or a New Edition (grey clutch cover)? Either way, buy it, NOW!!!

Ha ha, the 346xp is the old all orange version. I think I will start by snapping that one up being it is so highly desired... You guys really do love the 346xp here on AS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha ha, the 346xp is the old all orange version. I think I will start by snapping that one up being it is so highly desired... You guys really do love the 346xp here on AS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will take the 346. Go get it and send it to me (after I pay of course) then go get whatever you want. Less choices are less confusing. You're welcome.

We have 4 to 1 dolmar dealers over husky here in south east iowa
Luckily I have a dealer 10mins away that does Husky,Dolmar and Echo. Next closet Dolmar dealer is about an hour away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Both are great. The 346 seems to be priced very well. Make sure you look it over carefully. With online resources like this site and fordf150 (there are other great site sponsors as well) I don't worry about dolmar parts. I do plan ahead however. And they use Husqvarna bar mount patterns which makes emergency bar and chain purchases much easier.

Both are great. The 346 seems to be priced very well. Make sure you look it over carefully. With online resources like this site and fordf150 (there are other great site sponsors as well) I don't worry about dolmar parts. I do plan ahead however. And they use Husqvarna bar mount patterns which makes emergency bar and chain purchases much easier.

I agree the 346xp is priced well, I am planning on getting it, good to hear Dolmar parts are easy to come by online. In my area it is Stihl or Husky..... Thanks for all the info everyone.

Back