Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
possible the bar was pryed on while hot? bar will flex side ways some, chains,not so much.

That could be a possibiiity. The bar is good and straight but who knows? Anyhow, I did manage to locate a couple of presets and straps which is not easy in the land of Wild Things but won't be heading out that way to pick them up for a while.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Change strategies..... Get in tight with the scrapyard and buy them there. I've been getting some insane deals there. Let them chuck them and buy them for pennies on the dollar.

Most scrap yards in my area are not very 'resale friendly'. They're of the 'once it goes in the bin it STAYS there' mindset. One yard does show promise. Gotta find out what their favorite beer is.....:D

Man....that guy parts out EVERYTHING. He NEVER sells whole saws.......no matter how desireable/valuable. I've seen listings of his with parts from SD166, Homelite 2000/2100, and now Craftsman/Poulan 4200 saws....:bang:

Poulan 4900 Poulan 4900 chainsaw

Hmmm Homelite Jim's saws maybe? Yep video's come back to Jim.

Poulan 5400 Poulan 5400

Different seller of poulan 5400 with 36" poulan chainsaw 5400 36" bar

Yikes. I NEED to sell a couple of saws (non-Poulan) on the bay for some big Poulan $$$. Got a couple cleaned up and ready to go. Just gotta take comp readings, shoot pics, and put together the listings. This weekend for sure. Maybe I can get Jim to work out a trade...:D

Most of the shops in my area scrap old saws when they get them.......and REFUSE to sell any of those old saws (or parts from them).

diddo.im getting this attitude quite alot around here. i guess they think it will take a new saw sale away from them? alao a couple of small time repair shops say this also ,thinking they dont want people working on their own stuff?

HHHMMMMM, Just last week I bought a 028 super, 041 fb, Homelite XL (small one), Poulan Pro 295, Stihl HS45 hedge trimmers, Echo HC 1500 hedge trimmers, and a Poulan 3700 for $60 out of a junk yard. His boss sells them to him for $2 each so the hand in the back makes a little extra pocket change. The only one with a scored piston was the 028 super but I just happen to have 4 on hand. Bunch of carb kits and they are ready to go, already sold the Echo trimmers for enough to cover the others.

In December I bought a Husky 372 (clean saw same place) with a scored piston for $65 by itself but he wasn't budging on the price, oh well I still gave it. BTW, the Husky got new seals, fuel lines, impulse line, piston, and carb kit and she is waiting on money now, cleaned up really good and I think it'll bring close to $500 but gotta wait on tax checks to start rolling.

Yep, gotta find those scrapyards and then the right guy in them. There is one huge one here that only takes nonferrous metals and they won't talk to me at all. Sorry bastiges..................

Cross reference list

Here's a part number only cross reference list for some later Poulans that may be helpful if you are trying to cross reference some parts. Bars, chains, brakes, clutch drums, clutches and air filters.
Figured I had it so I thought I'd share it.

Yea sorry for the typo my 4400 would destroy it even more but wouldn't be fair

You pay lots extra for the Stihl name and subtract money for the Poulan name. Good for all of us.
Don't leave the Stihl alone in the dark with the Poulans. You'll wake up with nothing but a bunch of chewed up creamsicle parts in the morning inless you hear the 14,500 rpm squeal while it's happening.

Did you vacuum and pressure test that 3400?
It sounds like you either need to adjust the carb or you have an air leak somewhere.

The Stihl could have done marginally better without the felling dogs!
Welcome to the age of enlightenment!...........................Now keep quiet and don't let the secret out!

Mike

Project underway.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Been awhile,
figure I would share a prized possession of mine, as I have been enjoying your guys scores and repairs, figure I should share in mine!

[video=youtube_share;l4TsWvglqP8]http://youtu.be/l4TsWvglqP8[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back