Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be a shame if it was, Aaron. I have a 375 which has the 3700 top end and it is a really nice runner. It is a very low hour saw and pulls very hard - I am not sure a 3800 would be better.
I mentioned earlier I recently found a 3800 with a 4000 top end. I have spoken to the guy who bought it new and he swears it has never been rebuilt. Perhaps it came from the factory that way? Anyways, I have cleaned it up and am very pleased with its performance. I put new seals and fuel lines in, cleaned the carb and removed the base gasket. It now has 150lbs compression - same as my 375. None of my other 3400's are higher than 130lbs - even with new rings and one with the cylinder base turned down. I didn't touch the muffler as that extra side port seems sufficient. It sure sounds nice. Will post up some pics when it cools a little

I have been indulging my Poulan fetish lately by visiting mower and saw shops in my region - with varying results. At one, the owner (who I went to school with) gave me a real nice 3700 in return for some Solo parts that I have. He is happily keeping an eye out for me.
In another town I went into a shop, happily paid $2.50 each for some Oregon tie straps to get the subject on to saws and buy a bit of the owner's time, then asked him about Poulans. He pointed to a Poulan in the back of his shop that was either a 3700 or a 3800. On asking if it was for sale, he told me he was going to throw it in the dumpster. He said all Poulans were rubbish and he'd be doing a disservice giving to anyone. I argued gently - even begged a little. No go. Finally, I asked if he'd keep saws for me when they came in offering to pay a fair price. He refused. As I left he showed me his large range of Stihls and I had the pleasure of turning down his offer.

I do not understand why they would throw them away or scrap them rather then sell them when they would get more money but I have seen the same thing. As you said they are more than willing to show you there line of saws they want to sell you. I think they know if you by one of them from there line you will be back for repair but if they sell you an old poulan and you get it going you will not were it out. There is shop not far from us and my brother asked them about some saws and they said no they were going to the scrap yard so my brother made him an offer of at least 3 times of the scrap cost and they still said no. He went back again and asked the guy to set a price on them and he said scrap was all they are good for. We did stop by one that is about a hour from us and they will sell us some older stuff from time to time but old poulan saws few and far between. It is a shame to see good old saws trashed. I understand how you feel and good luck.

Project underway.

Neat project , Mark, is that a 252 grear drive? Never seen anything like that. And nice to see the hammer handy on your bench for removing stubborn parts.:msp_biggrin:

I finished a little project today. I got this 3800 out of curiosity and it has turned into a great saw. Had a few issues with the oiler in the end but just had to make up some gaskets - luckily the diaphragm is good. Seems to be painted a lighter shade of green and the paint actually seems to hang on better. It is a saw out of Canada and has the later brake which appears more robust. Though neglected it seems not to have been over used. I put a 16" bar on to try it out but think it will ultimately wear a 20". It has a 4000 top end so should manage that OK.

DSC00383_zps26b30b46.jpg

DSC00392_zps1b117db3.jpg

DSC00385_zps7f4fbf71.jpg

Neat project , Mark, is that a 252 grear drive? Never seen anything like that. And nice to see the hammer handy on your bench for removing stubborn parts.:msp_biggrin:

I finished a little project today. I got this 3800 out of curiosity and it has turned into a great saw. Had a few issues with the oiler in the end but just had to make up some gaskets - luckily the diaphragm is good. Seems to be painted a lighter shade of green and the paint actually seems to hang on better. It is a saw out of Canada and has the later brake which appears more robust. Though neglected it seems not to have been over used. I put a 16" bar on to try it out but think it will ultimately wear a 20". It has a 4000 top end so should manage that OK.

DSC00383_zps26b30b46.jpg

DSC00392_zps1b117db3.jpg

DSC00385_zps7f4fbf71.jpg

Great saw Al. I just picked up my first 3800 recently but its just a regular one!

Man....that guy parts out EVERYTHING. He NEVER sells whole saws.......no matter how desireable/valuable. I've seen listings of his with parts from SD166, Homelite 2000/2100, and now Craftsman/Poulan 4200 saws....:bang:

I know,it is a little sad to part out saws like that but we can't do anything.Think how many members need parts,besides if it was a 4200/5200 with scored top end,i don't think it was worthing to rebuild it and sell it.The seller has a bussines after all.

Great saw Al. I just picked up my first 3800 recently but its just a regular one!

I am really pleased with it Joe. Put new crank seals and fuel lines in - even saved the duckbill. Cleaned off 20 years of oily muck and played with the olier for while and it is good to go. I really like the carb too - very easy to work on and no removing welsh plugs to clear galleries. I am sure you will be happy with your 3800 - the filter set up is better and the starter is a little stronger. But don't be disappointed, I believe they are a based on the thin ring 3700 and run really good too.

Last edited:
Been awhile,
figure I would share a prized possession of mine, as I have been enjoying your guys scores and repairs, figure I should share

Awsome saw Matt, thanks a lot for showing.

Al, that's a gear drive, but it don't turn a chain, its a Poulan based bladesaw.:msp_biggrin:

The hammer is a authorized Poulan service tool, its listed in the manual.

Did you vacuum and pressure test that 3400?
It sounds like you either need to adjust the carb or you have an air leak somewhere.

The Stihl could have done marginally better without the felling dogs!
Welcome to the age of enlightenment!...........................Now keep quiet and don't let the secret out!

Mike

I check the crank seal and intake and have no leaks there why does everyone think its lean on the low end ?

I am really pleased with it Joe. Put new crank seals and fuel lines in - even saved the duckbill. Cleaned off 20 years of oily muck and played with the olier for while and it is good to go. I really like the carb too - very easy to work on and no removing welsh plugs to clear galleries. I am sure you will be happy with your 3800 - the filter set up is better and the starter is a little stronger. But don't be disappointed, I believe they are a based on the thin ring 3700 and run really good too.

I thought the 3800 had thick rings.

I do not understand why they would throw them away or scrap them rather then sell them when they would get more money but I have seen the same thing. As you said they are more than willing to show you there line of saws they want to sell you. I think they know if you by one of them from there line you will be back for repair but if they sell you an old poulan and you get it going you will not were it out. There is shop not far from us and my brother asked them about some saws and they said no they were going to the scrap yard so my brother made him an offer of at least 3 times of the scrap cost and they still said no. He went back again and asked the guy to set a price on them and he said scrap was all they are good for. We did stop by one that is about a hour from us and they will sell us some older stuff from time to time but old poulan saws few and far between. It is a shame to see good old saws trashed. I understand how you feel and good luck.

Well, go to the nearest scrap yards to that shop and make an offer there. Heck, leave a deposit there, show the guys you are serious about it.

I check the crank seal and intake and have no leaks there why does everyone think its lean on the low end ?

Go on youtube and listen how a 3400 is idling.Then listen to your saw.Your saw is idling way to high and sounding a little lean and i think the saw delay to fall to idle from WOT.

S25cva

I was going to cut up a macadamia nut log for a future project yesterday with my 4000 and decided to use my S25cva instead. The macnut is pretty solid wood and the little saw didn't bog a bit. I was ripping some, too. It definitely has an attitude, I think i could throw it on my mill:msp_wink:.

I know,it is a little sad to part out saws like that but we can't do anything.Think how many members need parts,besides if it was a 4200/5200 with scored top end,i don't think it was worthing to rebuild it and sell it.The seller has a bussines after all.

That's true. However, that seller NEVER puts saws up for sale. He doesn't just part out the scored 'too expensive to rebuild' saws. He parts out ALL the saws that he gets. I know him from a non-chainsaw forum that I was active on 10 years or so ago. He has indeed made a business out of it. He's a good guy (not trying to vilify him). I also realize that many people (and many saws) can be 'helped' by the parting out of one saw. It's still sad to see so many hard to find/desirable saws get parted out rather than kept whole.....

Allan unlike your 3800, US spec 3800's don't have the 4000 style starter or air filter (just the regular 3400 style setups). They also have a thick ring plated piston and an unplated bore like a 3400. The bore diameter is almost the same as a 3700. That's the only difference between a 3400 and a 3800. In effect, a US spec 3800 is an 'upsized' 3400.

Allan unlike your 3800, US spec 3800's don't have the 4000 style starter or air filter (just the regular 3400 style setups). They also have a thick ring plated piston and an unplated bore like a 3400. The bore diameter is almost the same as a 3700. That's the only difference between a 3400 and a 3800. In effect, a US spec 3800 is an 'upsized' 3400.

Not that it's a bad thing at all!

Mike

Oh man, don't listen to me - I don't know anything about Poulan saws. Nuthin' at all. Nope. Zip.
Gonna go and pull an 019 down - they are simple compared to knowing about Poulan saws. Is it beer time yet?:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back