Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is my first attemt to put pictures on here , this one is my newest 306 found at junk yard with nos side cover

david :msp_scared:

Very nice score Dave! The bow saw clutch cover isn't easy to find. Looks like that saw has a Homelite stack muffler on it (unless some of the Poulans of this series had stacks.....and I'm not aware of any that did).

When ever you are ready let me know on the welding. Send me a PM and we will see what we can do. Roger

Thanks a bunch Roger. I'll shoot some pics and put together a PM.

Just picked up 2 3400CV (one parts) ,and a like new Farm Pro 375 with smashed ,missing Handle.To start on Bailey's the hand guard # says 530024466 is there a Poulan # I can search for ?Also after a quick look it seems the 3400 handle with some paint might work for the 375 will it?Plenty of time till I dig in,Thanks David

View attachment 274645View attachment 274646View attachment 274647View attachment 274648View attachment 274649

here is some more stuff i have from my collection , pic's were taken at different shows and the state fair here in virginia.

dave

Very nice B100! that things great

I love those little poulans wish they were made like this again:rock:

You and me brother! :msp_thumbup:

Man thats a nice Super 72 and would be a great companion to my 71-A.

View attachment 274679View attachment 274680View attachment 274681View attachment 274682View attachment 274683

I found the 744 in a welding shop , mark should like this one .
the 25da i rigged the bow on this one , real fun to cut with , i found that saw at the junk yard (not the nos bow )..

dave :givebeer: I need one after this...

Yeah I really like that one! You know I have a nice 252 don't you? It sure put a smile on Deans face when he run it at the Poulan GTG last fall.

I had a line on a 744 once but it slipped through my fingers. Guy was looking for a Mac trade and traded the 744 for some old run of the mill D-44 or something. I couldnt believe it!!!

Great to see you showing some of the fine saws that you have, there awsome.

Seems your collection is from the 40's-early 70's while I have been concentrating on more of the mid 60's through early 90's. If we put em all together we could cover quite a few decades!

I have most of the eras that I have been collecting covered and till I find the rest I wouldnt mind going back a few years for some more sandcast saws, there are a few that have caught my attention.

I am pretty proud of some of the more obscure pieces that I have come up with so far like the 252, 71-A etc but have really been bit by the relabled saws of that era like the 2 Aldens saws, a Gambles and the latest a Speigel branded 223 as it has to be a really rare find.

Nice 306A, I never seen a NOS cover come painted like that though, all that we ordered at the dealership back then came in gray primer. How bout that stack exhaust, looks like a Homelite piece?

Did Poulan ever use that style?
I know the 25da had one as optional but do not know about the 306/245 , that one came off an xl-12 , i just wallowed the holes alittle to make her fit , after running with stock muffler , when i switched over , i had richen her up a little. i would like to dig into the book's and see if those saws had that type of muff. from the factory???

dave

rebranded

Very nice B100! that things great

You and me brother! :msp_thumbup:

Man thats a nice Super 72 and would be a great companion to my 71-A.

Yeah I really like that one! You know I have a nice 252 don't you? It sure put a smile on Deans face when he run it at the Poulan GTG last fall.

I had a line on a 744 once but it slipped through my fingers. Guy was looking for a Mac trade and traded the 744 for some old run of the mill D-44 or something. I couldnt believe it!!!

Great to see you showing some of the fine saws that you have, there awsome.

Seems your collection is from the 40's-early 70's while I have been concentrating on more of the mid 60's through early 90's. If we put em all together we could cover quite a few decades!

I have most of the eras that I have been collecting covered and till I find the rest I wouldnt mind going back a few years for some more sandcast saws, there are a few that have caught my attention.

I am pretty proud of some of the more obscure pieces that I have come up with so far like the 252, 71-A etc but have really been bit by the relabled saws of that era like the 2 Aldens saws, a Gambles and the latest a Speigel branded 223 as it has to be a really rare find.
i know where there is a aldens saw , but do not have to much else rare rebrands , i have the usual wright and dayton stuff , you were right we could cover the decades as you have all the 60's-70's , funny as it may seem i have very few newer saws as in my area the sand cast rules but 3400 thru 8500 , not much around here ..
I have 1 3700 and a rebranded crapsman 3700 but thats about it .
when i get time i will try to take more pic's in the next few days.

dave

I know the 25da had one as optional but do not know about the 306/245 , that one came off an xl-12 , i just wallowed the holes alittle to make her fit , after running with stock muffler , when i switched over , i had richen her up a little. i would like to dig into the book's and see if those saws had that type of muff. from the factory???

dave

Dave, according to the very early 1971 IPL the 245 dose show either what I call a 2 screw tin muffler or a stack with a turned down end on it. Non of the 68-69 200 series saws show a stack for them and the 1971 306 IPL dont show a stack on them either.

So long story short, only the early 245 came with a stack as well as the 1969 252A and the 70 and 71 744. Interestingly the 1968 252 like mine shows only the 2 screw tin muffler for them.

I'm not nit picking that wonderfull 744 that you have, but it should have had a stack exahust on it. What you have on it now is what I call the 1 screw tin muffler that was found on later electronic ign 306 and 245 saws.

I have a couple early 25d saws that have the stack on them, they really rattle things when running!

i know where there is a aldens saw , but do not have to much else rare rebrands , i have the usual wright and dayton stuff , you were right we could cover the decades as you have all the 60's-70's , funny as it may seem i have very few newer saws as in my area the sand cast rules but 3400 thru 8500 , not much around here ..
I have 1 3700 and a rebranded crapsman 3700 but thats about it .
when i get time i will try to take more pic's in the next few days.

dave

I think it goes by areas, there were not many Poulan dealers in my local area till 70 or so and its very, very rare to find any older then that Poulan saws here.

I wish I would have searched out all the Allis Chalmers branded saws around here years ago, as there were quite a few Allis dealers in this area.

later gear drives

Yeah the 744 is the only one i have seen in person , i saw another one on the computer some where else , but can't remember where , i think on se site .
I found a real nice 252 in a saw shop in richmond virginia , and i talked to the owners of the shop , and it was a no go.
boy was i sad , havent seen another one since??

dave

Yeah the 744 is the only one i have seen in person , i saw another one on the computer some where else , but can't remember where , i think on se site .
I found a real nice 252 in a saw shop in richmond virginia , and i talked to the owners of the shop , and it was a no go.

dave

There is a member here who dont post much anymore down by Texas that has a 252 or most of it anyway. I wonder if he ever got it going. There is another new member here from down your way that just found one and posted pics of it the other day. Thats all I know of though.

dave

there is 744 on se site.

Dave, according to the very early 1971 IPL the 245 dose show either what I call a 2 screw tin muffler or a stack with a turned down end on it. Non of the 68-69 200 series saws show a stack for them and the 1971 306 IPL dont show a stack on them either.

So long story short, only the early 245 came with a stack as well as the 1969 252A and the 70 and 71 744. Interestingly the 1968 252 like mine shows only the 2 screw tin muffler for them.

I'm not nit picking that wonderfull 744 that you have, but it should have had a stack exahust on it. What you have on it now is what I call the 1 screw tin muffler that was found on later electronic ign 306 and 245 saws.

I have a couple early 25d saws that have the stack on them, they really rattle things when running!

Thats the way it came .
but thanks alot for the info , i have always wanted to get on here and talk poulan's , but never could load pic's to go with story..

dave

there is 744 on se site.

Yes there sure is I forgot about Thomas having that one.

Not a big deal though but that saw is a frankensaw, you can tell by the darker lime green cases and the boss behind the stack muffler is for the 1 screw tin muffler and is from a late model 245A. You can also see that it has the larger high tension plug wire on it meaning that it probabaly has the later Phelen Ign instead of the early ND ign.

It does have the correct stack muffler that I was talking about though.

Last edited:
There is a member here who dont post much anymore down by Texas that has a 252 or most of it anyway. I wonder if he ever got it going. There is another new member here from down your way that just found one and posted pics of it the other day. Thats all I know of though.

what page??? cool to here that

Latest posts

Back