Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can one of you poulan experts judge by the serial number about what year this saw is?

No Poulan serial numbers are Greek to me. I can tell by looking though that your saw is a very late model. The one screw tin muffler and electronic ign prove that but the later models plastic starter handle means a very late saw. It's probably one of the last 245's produced.

make sure you check the in tank fuel line close before you try to start out.

No Poulan serial numbers are Greek to me. I can tell by looking though that your saw is a very late model. The one screw tin muffler and electronic ign prove that but the later models plastic starter handle means a very late saw. It's probably one of the last 245's produced.

make sure you check the in tank fuel line close before you try to start out.

Tank is bone dry and doesn't even smell of anything. Fuel line and filter look good, but I'm going to give it a thorough check before I try to light it up.

Tank is bone dry and doesn't even smell of anything. Fuel line and filter look good, but I'm going to give it a thorough check before I try to light it up.

Well then in that case, if your not going to be keeping it then why even bother starting it?

Just pull the muffler cover to make sure it wasn't straight gassed early on, then let the new owner decide what he wants to do with it?.

How many different shades of green were used? I have several saws with different shades of green. Also whe was the transition from tan to green? 1968ish? I see some models around that era are both green and tan.

Thanks

I have seen so many different shades of poulan green and the yellow from oem I dont even worry about it. I think they just had it mixed by a supplier and whatever it was it is. :rock:

The rest I havent a clue as I dont dig that deep into poulan era. Sure Mark, Mike, Randy, Roger or someone knows to help.

I have seen so many different shades of poulan green and the yellow from oem I dont even worry about it. I think they just had it mixed by a supplier and whatever it was it is. :rock:

The rest I havent a clue as I dont dig that deep into poulan era. Sure Mark, Mike, Randy, Roger or someone knows to help.

thank you Jeremiah, that is the most logical answer for sure. who ever had the cheapest/in stock batch got the order.

The res shade. its not bad however and is available in rattldont dig that deep into poulan era. Sure Mark, Mike, Randy, Roger or someone knows to help.
the

I know that 1970 dodge Sublime Green is a very close match for most Poulan Green saws. Testors has a Sublime Green but its a little brighter and more green. Not too bad however and it is available in rattle cans. As for the Poulan Pro yellow I have no idea.

thank you Jeremiah, that is the most logical answer for sure. who ever had the cheapest/in stock batch got the order.

No I don't believe that for a minute, these saws are old now, you really think they all were used/stored the same way and that the paint never faded on them?

Wreck a 5 year old car that was always parked out side and see how close the new paint matches to them and we got lots better paint now then was out there in the 60's and 70's. That's why body shops have a computer matching system and they still have to blend the repair back into the other panel.

I got lots of these old Poulans and yes some are bit different shade then another but I'm sure they all matched when the left the factory. At least ones from the same time period did anyway.

I'll give Poulan credit, lots of these old saws still at least have quite a bit of there original paint left on them. Much better then the paint on lots of other brands from that time period.

another one came to me today model 400

i have been searching for this saw for a long time since i had the air filter cover from a parts lot and wanted to identify the saw it came off of. I good friend of mine dropped this off tonight and a nice Homelite SXL. The 400 is a little rough but is all there and a runner, original Poulan bar and homelite chain.

i should have a 245A tomorrow as well.

View attachment 311828View attachment 311829View attachment 311830

i have been searching for this saw for a long time since i had the air filter cover from a parts lot and wanted to identify the saw it came off of. I good friend of mine dropped this off tonight and a nice Homelite SXL. The 400 is a little rough but is all there and a runner, original Poulan bar and homelite chain.

i should have a 245A tomorrow as well.

View attachment 311828View attachment 311829View attachment 311830

That's a nice 400!

I have been wanting to get my hands on one also, mainly to get it side by side with my 401 to see if I can find out what the hell the difference is between them. Just glancing at IPL's I really don't see any difference in them.

No I don't believe that for a minute, these saws are old now, you really think they all were used/stored the same way and that the paint never faded on them?

Wreck a 5 year old car that was always parked out side and see how close the new paint matches to them and we got lots better paint now then was out there in the 60's and 70's. That's why body shops have a computer matching system and they still have to blend the repair back into the other panel.

I got lots of these old Poulans and yes some are bit different shade then another but I'm sure they all matched when the left the factory. At least ones from the same time period did anyway.

I'll give Poulan credit, lots of these old saws still at least have quite a bit of there original paint left on them. Much better then the paint on lots of other brands from that time period.

what about NOS parts? i have a nice collection of different green bar covers, flywheel covers and air filter covers, i will soon be taking a picture of the rainbow of green i have to show the differences.

i would say also that the paint shows different on sand cast and metal and plastic for sure.

thanks for the added info Mark.

I just received this one today and just come in from getting it running. Basically all it needed was a fuel line to run but it got a good clean up and going over. It still has the original bar, sprocket and it was the original fuel line in it.

I have been looking for a decent one of these for sometime, and finally found a good one at a decent price.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just received this one today and just come in from getting it running. Basically all it needed was a fuel line to run but it got a good clean up and going over. It still has the original bar, sprocket and it was the original fuel line in it.

I have been looking for a decent one of these for sometime, and finally found a good one at a decent price.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

sweet saw, is that a 361?

what about NOS parts? i have a nice collection of different green bar covers, flywheel covers and air filter covers, i will soon be taking a picture of the rainbow of green i have to show the differences.

i would say also that the paint shows different on sand cast and metal and plastic for sure.

thanks for the added info Mark.

Are all the parts from the same lots? Same time frame, stored in the same place? It makes a difference.

And your right, sand cast shows somewhat different but that also from a different era then say a 4000.

I will say it like this anyway, from the first to the last 3400, they all looked the same going out the factory door, same with say a 245/306...

Here is a example of a mid 70's Poulan saw with very good original paint on it,. I had to replace the recoil housing on it so it got painted Mopar sublime green. I also touched up a couple spots on it. Can you really see what was touched up and what wasn't?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Part number for the Poulan green paint is 532130939 so why isnt every poulan green saw the same dang green then. There is pea green like on some older ones and then the brighter green like on the 3300 etc. :dizzy:

There were several different colors through the years.
There is also, always a minor deviation from one paint batch to the next even from the same supplier.
You know how it goes. One day you feel good and the convicts all like you, the next day someone pisses you off before you leave home and everyone thinks you are a butthead.
Same for the paint mixing guy.
Then there are the Poulan engineers.
They get a few complaints from customers about fading and they add a pinch of something here or a dash of something else there.

Even the 1970 Mopar SubLime is just a few shades darker than the 1971 Limelight.
Some aftermarket suppliers are even selling the 1971 Limelight and calling it 1970 SubLime, but it just is NOT!!!
Even todays computer aided blending isn't always exact because some paints are quite different when wet than they are dry.

Mike

Mark, from what I've seen (limited experience, I'm most certainly no expert) at one time Poulan & Remington were ahead of the game when it came to 'compact' saws with good power-to-weight ratios. Remington unfortunately had some of the crappiest paint jobs ever used on a chainsaw, and I'm convinced that had a lot to do with the demise of Remington chainsaws. What makes their crappy paint jobs unfathomable is DuPont, which apparantly made some great paint, owned Remington.

I don't how Remington saws perform going head-to-head against similar Poulan models, but it sure would make for some interesting comparisons. Maybe Carl will post his thoughts, I know that he has a large collection of Remingtons and more than a few Poulans.

Back