Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to get one of my Poulan 295's out today and work on it. It was cutting off when going to full throttle. I was going to take the carb off and clean it to see if that helps but, it is snowing pretty good here right now and the garage is full. So until I make room it will have to wait.

I was going to get one of my Poulan 295's out today and work on it. It was cutting off when going to full throttle. I was going to take the carb off and clean it to see if that helps but, it is snowing pretty good here right now and the garage is full. So until I make room it will have to wait.

You have to love that high country.

Tim,
On a side note, (subject to change) ;) the weather forecast for next Sat. here is 75* and sunny, with 0% chance of rain. Ha, I'll believe that when I see it. But, lets hope.

I found out why that big Comfort Inn over at Bluffton is booked up full the weekend of the GTG. DTR, the company my brother works for there is having a big shindig, their 25th. anniversary. Its a Japanese owned company, and they have people from all over the world coming in. LOL :(

:cheers:
Gregg,

Tim,
On a side note, (subject to change) ;) the weather forecast for next Sat. here is 75* and sunny, with 0% chance of rain. Ha, I'll believe that when I see it. But, lets hope.

I found out why that big Comfort Inn over at Bluffton is booked up full the weekend of the GTG. DTR, the company my brother works for there is having a big shindig, their 25th. anniversary. Its a Japanese owned company, and they have people from all over the world coming in. LOL :(

Gregg,

I figured something was going on to fill the hotel up that early. I hope the weather holds. I'd be really good with 65 deg. Keeps the geezers from perspiring.
I have finally dumped the crutches for all but a few occasions. I feel like I've been set free. It certainly gives me thought about the people who will never be free of some assisst to help them get around. Kind of makes me ashamed to have been complaining about it.

I figured something was going on to fill the hotel up that early. I hope the weather holds. I'd be really good with 65 deg. Keeps the geezers from perspiring.
I have finally dumped the crutches for all but a few occasions. I feel like I've been set free. It certainly gives me thought about the people who will never be free of some assisst to help them get around. Kind of makes me ashamed to have been complaining about it.

It does make you appreciate things more! And I am real glad you are getting back to what might pass for almost normal!

Back when I busted my back, docs told me I would be on crutches or a walker or wheelchair the rest of my life.

Man, discussion ended and the cussin began then....

I beat their prediction, but I have paid for it..still glad I didn't get their surgery though. I wanted to give it a shot and see if I could get function back. Just a shot, just a chance, however slim it was. Frikkin hurt for a long time and still does, but..I can still do some stuff! I wuss out easy and have long term lost a lot of strength, but still manage to wrangle some wood, albeit with some difficulty now and then. The other day right in the middle of doing a large tree I lost it, couldn't even hardly run a saw, all of a sudden couldn't even pick it up, the larger saw I was using at first, (scary) but I finished the fell with a smaller saw, although the cuts look like crap and I didn't hit my lay correctly. Wasn't gonna leave a big tree half way cut down as a hazard.

Sucks, 20 years ago would have been easy....but..at least I can still do some things. Tradeoffs.

Recovery can take a looooongg time, just take it as ya can, just a little push more periodically. No sense getting a relapse.

It does make you appreciate things more! And I am real glad you are getting back to what might pass for almost normal!

Back when I busted my back, docs told me I would be on crutches or a walker or wheelchair the rest of my life.

Man, discussion ended and the cussin began then....

I beat their prediction, but I have paid for it..still glad I didn't get their surgery though. I wanted to give it a shot and see if I could get function back. Just a shot, just a chance, however slim it was. Frikkin hurt for a long time and still does, but..I can still do some stuff! I wuss out easy and have long term lost a lot of strength, but still manage to wrangle some wood, albeit with some difficulty now and then. The other day right in the middle of doing a large tree I lost it, couldn't even hardly run a saw, all of a sudden couldn't even pick it up, the larger saw I was using at first, (scary) but I finished the fell with a smaller saw, although the cuts look like crap and I didn't hit my lay correctly. Wasn't gonna leave a big tree half way cut down as a hazard.

Great spirit and perseverance on your part. My issue is more like a mosquito bite compared to yours.
AND, before someone else says it, I will never pass for normal (nothing to do with my foot).

I was kinda wishin for some 60's weather myself. Been raining like heck here today, flood warnings etc. :msp_mad: Just hope it gets it out of its system and drys up some by next week end. We aren't going to have a dust problem, thats for sure.

Cleaned some crud off a few saws today. We are gonna hope that they will run. ;) You never know about saws that spend a lot of idle time between runs. I'm pretty confident that the 4200 will run..I use that one quite a bit.

What saws are ya bringing Tim? Maybe your like me and will just run a bunch of Mark & Mikes saws..LOL I guess I will bring the 4000, 4200, 245A, and a couple 5200's. Maybe a DA25 and a Husky 385xp. :D

By the way, I found that new muffler set for the 3400 series saws. Put it out so I hopefully won't forget it. Geezer here ya know. :msp_mellow:

Gregg,

I was kinda wishin for some 60's weather myself. Been raining like heck here today, flood warnings etc. :msp_mad: Just hope it gets it out of its system and drys up some by next week end. We aren't going to have a dust problem, thats for sure.

Cleaned some crud off a few saws today. We are gonna hope that they will run. ;) You never know about saws that spend a lot of idle time between runs. I'm pretty confident that the 4200 will run..I use that one quite a bit.

What saws are ya bringing Tim? Maybe your like me and will just run a bunch of Mark & Mikes saws..LOL I guess I will bring the 4000, 4200, 245A, and a couple 5200's. Maybe a DA25 and a Husky 385xp. :D

By the way, I found that new muffler set for the 3400 series saws. Put it out so I hopefully won't forget it. Geezer here ya know. :msp_mellow:

:cheers:Gregg,

Mark has a muffler he's bringing me so you don't have to remember. The offer is very much appreciated.
I'm not sure at this point if I will bring any saws. I am doing pretty well but I will have to see what I can safely carry by the end of next week. I suppose if I bring anything I'll bring my 5200 and a Homelite VI922. It's a uniquely Canuck Homelite, 77cc that cuts very well in my opinion. I am very much looking forward to trying a few saws that belong to others as the only saw I've ever run that isn't mine was an old Homelite (model unknown) belonging to my neighbour. I have no idea if my saws run and cut well or not but I suspect they're OK.
Looking at the weather; it looks like the weather here is a day by day duplicate of yours but maybe 9 deg cooler across the board.
Dodged a GTG trip wrecker bullet tonight. Going downstairs to get a bottle of wine and the handrail (11 footer) snapped into three pieces. I've gained some weight recently but I am likely only 200 lbs. Thankfully, I wasn't leaning on it too hard and I stayed upright. Ah. the evils of booze! I guess I know what I'll be replacing tomorrow morning.
I would very much like to see your restored 5200 if your able to bring it out for a bit.

Tim

Mark has a muffler he's bringing me so you don't have to remember. The offer is very much appreciated.
I'm not sure at this point if I will bring any saws. I am doing pretty well but I will have to see what I can safely carry by the end of next week. I suppose if I bring anything I'll bring my 5200 and a Homelite VI922. It's a uniquely Canuck Homelite, 77cc that cuts very well in my opinion. I am very much looking forward to trying a few saws that belong to others as the only saw I've ever run that isn't mine was an old Homelite (model unknown) belonging to my neighbour. I have no idea if my saws run and cut well or not but I suspect they're OK.
Looking at the weather; it looks like the weather here is a day by day duplicate of yours but maybe 9 deg cooler across the board.
Dodged a GTG trip wrecker bullet tonight. Going downstairs to get a bottle of wine and the handrail (11 footer) snapped into three pieces. I've gained some weight recently but I am likely only 200 lbs. Thankfully, I wasn't leaning on it too hard and I stayed upright. Ah. the evils of booze! I guess I know what I'll be replacing tomorrow morning.
I would very much like to see your restored 5200 if your able to bring it out for a bit.

Tim

Hey! Be careful there. Don't need to be makin things worse than they already are. LOL
I just checked the long term weather. They lowered the temp a bit. 71 as a high now, 40's at night. Thats sounding better. Having a camp fire going sounds more bearable.

I don't usually run many of my saws at these things. LOL Everybody else has such a variety to play with that I don't have. I do plan running the 5200 that I fixed up. I have only run it at the west Ohio GTG couple months ago, and couple test cuts before that. Might have Mark run it and set the carb. Maybe its close now, but I appreciate an experts ear. ;)

That Homelite you have might be a good match for the 245A Poulan. Its like 73cc. Somebody might have a 4900 there too. That would be a great test. They being 77cc also.

Gregg,

Hey! Be careful there. Don't need to be makin things worse than they already are. LOL
I just checked the long term weather. They lowered the temp a bit. 71 as a high now, 40's at night. Thats sounding better. Having a camp fire going sounds more bearable.

I don't usually run many of my saws at these things. LOL Everybody else has such a variety to play with that I don't have. I do plan running the 5200 that I fixed up. I have only run it at the west Ohio GTG couple months ago, and couple test cuts before that. Might have Mark run it and set the carb. Maybe its close now, but I appreciate an experts ear. ;)

That Homelite you have might be a good match for the 245A Poulan. Its like 73cc. Somebody might have a 4900 there too. That would be a great test. They being 77cc also.

Gregg,

I would guess (and I may eat these words) that it will cut faster than a 245A but slower than a 77 cc Poulan. I only have a 20" bar for it so it rips pretty good. I don't know if I have the auto oiler fixed but it has a manual as well. It's pretty smooth for a rigid mount saw but does not feel anywhere near as comfortable as a large Poulan or Pioneer in my hands. It can be a real bear to pull over at tmes. I think the 9XX Homelites have their timing advanced as far as possible.
Regardless, I'm looking forward to benchmarking a few saws and it will be good for me to compare a few.
I would really like to try a 245. I have a 306 and am really impressed by it's light weight.

I would guess (and I may eat these words) that it will cut faster than a 245A but slower than a 77 cc Poulan. I only have a 20" bar for it so it rips pretty good. I don't know if I have the auto oiler fixed but it has a manual as well. It's pretty smooth for a rigid mount saw but does not feel anywhere near as comfortable as a large Poulan or Pioneer in my hands. It can be a real bear to pull over at tmes. I think the 9XX Homelites have their timing advanced as far as possible.
Regardless, I'm looking forward to benchmarking a few saws and it will be good for me to compare a few.
I would really like to try a 245. I have a 306 and am really impressed by it's light weight.

Yup, The 4900 will give it a run for the money. In fact the 77cc 4900/7700 will give the 85cc Poulans a close run. I think some others have noticed that also. There is something about that 77cc Poulan that hits like a "sweet spot" for that series, smoothness & power. I got to run Steve's (67Mustang) 7700 several times, and it is the cats azz in my opinion.:msp_thumbup:

I have only run a 24" bar on my 245A since I've had it. I'm not knockin the 306, its a fine light saw, but the 245 is large step up. But it should be, lot more cc's there. I have used my 245A as a work saw a few times. Its just so nice & light, and powerful. But parts are hard to come buy, P/C etc., so I try not to use it for work, just GTG's. I have enough slightly newer saws that can fill that role. ;)

Gregg,

Gary, I think you could bring a couple of every model, from the pictures I have seen. Especially 5200's. :msp_ohmy:

Gregg,

Let me know what you want me to bring. I will have the PP 655, PP 236, Craftsman badged 2400, 3700, 4200, 4400, a couple of 5200's and a 245. If I have time I will try to solve the fuel issue on my 5500 and bring that. Might have a couple of Partners and Pioneers as well. Probably leave the Echo 900 here if Mark is bringing his.

If you guys are testing older models 245 and whatever the homie is . I have a echo 702 that is in the same cc size of those? I have a 8T 3/8 rim on it now. If you all are running 7T, I can change this one and bring if needed. :msp_unsure:

Gregg,

I won't be bringing too many this year.
I just hope I get to come at all!!! :(
Sheila spent 4 days in the hospital this week for what was supposed to be a simple outpatient operation.
75% chance she won't make it and just 50/50 for me.
I do have a new (to me) 5400 that I really wanted to bring.
Needless to say I haven't had any time to prep saws this week and I'll be working full time at my regular job and full time at my part time job to try to make up the loss of funds this past week.

Mike

Let me know what you want me to bring. I will have the PP 655, PP 236, Craftsman badged 2400, 3700, 4200, 4400, a couple of 5200's and a 245. If I have time I will try to solve the fuel issue on my 5500 and bring that. Might have a couple of Partners and Pioneers as well. Probably leave the Echo 900 here if Mark is bringing his.

Nope I made up my mind that I'm only bringing Poulans to the Poulan GTG this year!

Well I did get a couple request to bring the Echo twin so I got to bring that one and might bring one other off brand 6 cube, but that's it!

I got some sand cast saws, gear drives and such loaded up right now. Good un's.

Guys I have had a hell of a time getting on lately, but don't worry, I'll be seeing ya's.

Most of you have my email and phone number if you need something and you don't see me on here.

Back