Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local library has one book on chainsaw repair and a couple on homeowner how-to-use.

I find the one they have for repair is excellent. It is by Intertec and is the 10th edition. They have several older editions that cover many vintage saws. I don't know if it is the best place to start. But, short of an original service manual for a saw and/or being used as a supplement to other sources, it seems to help. It has helped me sort out some of my questions.

mrp3o3TBb0z-0M4kfpSj8Pg.jpg

Edit: I forgot to add they cover many different manufacturers and series in each edition.

That looks exactly like the Clymer book.

That looks exactly like the Clymer book.
Correct you are. Seems up North here they are published by Intertec. And with metric pricing are twice as much as the Clymer. Go figure. If you find a smoking deal pass along the info.

The only deal on Canadian (made) stuff I find is when I go across the line to pick it up:angry:

Correct you are. Seems up North here they are published by Intertec. And with metric pricing are twice as much as the Clymer. Go figure. If you find a smoking deal pass along the info.

The only deal on Canadian (made) stuff I find is when I go across the line to pick it up:angry:

So that book is a bit advanced? I'll try and request it from the library or buy it online. There's also a free small engine repair manual from the Army website I could download. Not sure how good it is. If I download it, could I send it to you for your opinion? Thanks

Unfortunately there isn't a book specific to Poulans that I'm aware of. If there was, you can bet all of us would have one. :( I have a Poulan brochure that kinda goes into some detail of their history. Its in .pdf format. Don't think I can post it here, will try. Other wise, PM me your email address, and I'll send it your way.

Gregg,

Nice, first page with words mentions the 3400. Sounds like it was the every man's saw with some pro features.

You guys use 87 octane or premium in yer saws?

I generally use 87 oct. mixed at 40:1 with synthetic oil in all my saws. I have tried 92 octane stuff in the past, but honestly couldn't tell a difference. They seem to run the same and the wood gets cut just as good. :D

I use to use regular dino oil at 32:1 but switched to synthetic oil. I think it probably protects a little better and smokes less. Just my personal opinions whether right or wrong. LOL Others may differ.

Gregg,

I generally use 87 oct. mixed at 40:1 with synthetic oil in all my saws. I have tried 92 octane stuff in the past, but honestly couldn't tell a difference. They seem to run the same and the wood gets cut just as good. :D

I use to use regular dino oil at 32:1 but switched to synthetic oil. I think it probably protects a little better and smokes less. Just my personal opinions whether right or wrong. LOL Others may differ.

Gregg,

I should say either 87 0r 89 octane, whatever regular gas at Marathon is..LOL After I typed that, I wasn't real sure what it was....Mind is slipping I guess.

Got a question for all you big Poulan owners. I assume since these saws are a few decades old, they don't have newer fuel scavenging tech in them. The only chainsaw I have experience with other than my Makita 6421 is a little 33cc Homelite. The 6421 seems to go through fuel pretty quick, maybe 30 minutes or a little longer. I realize a 64cc saw will suck more gas than a 33cc one but damn it seems to dry up fast.

How long does a tank of fuel last for you guys doing smallish diameter bucking? I wish they made auxiliary fuel tanks for saws. Would be cool to attach a second fuel tank when all you're doing is bucking. Weight increase wouldn't be too much of a factor as it will be resting in/on a log. Anyway, just curious if I have the H setting too high.

needing a pair of rings for my 4000. been looking at all the usual parts places-no joy. looked at the Greek's web site - no joy. even sent Otto's an email but don't expect to be pleased with the cost. anyone got any leads? thanks, jerry

Latest posts

Back