Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a question for all you big Poulan owners. I assume since these saws are a few decades old, they don't have newer fuel scavenging tech in them. The only chainsaw I have experience with other than my Makita 6421 is a little 33cc Homelite. The 6421 seems to go through fuel pretty quick, maybe 30 minutes or a little longer. I realize a 64cc saw will suck more gas than a 33cc one but damn it seems to dry up fast.

How long does a tank of fuel last for you guys doing smallish diameter bucking? I wish they made auxiliary fuel tanks for saws. Would be cool to attach a second fuel tank when all you're doing is bucking. Weight increase wouldn't be too much of a factor as it will be resting in/on a log. Anyway, just curious if I have the H setting too high.

Never really timed how long I could cut with one...I usually need a break it seems before they run out. LOL
I always take at least 2 saws, sometimes 3 with me depending on what I'm into. Mainly so if I do something stupid, like pinch a saw, rarely happens...yea right. :dizzy: If one ran out of fuel, I would just grab the next man up, so to speak.

Back when I just had one saw...hard to believe, when it ran out, I would take a break, clean the air filter, refuel etc.
Mine always seem to run out, just before I was finished with what I was cutting. :mad: They all seem to use the fuel though. I am generally cutting fair sized wood, so takes fuel when bucking large logs for any length of time.

This was the first time I actually used my 245 for work. I dropped this Ash, 25" or so and started bucking. I stopped to rest and took couple pics. I was surprised that it hadn't run out of fuel yet, when I took this pic. I don't think I had it quite full either. Some days it seems your "gas mileage" is better than others..LOL

245A003-1.jpg

245A016.jpg

And of course after the cutting is done...it is important to refuel the operator too!!! :D
4000Ash015.jpg

Gregg,

Great looking 245. Great looking scenery.

A 245 is next on the list. I am quite impressed with my 306 and imagine those extra cc's really help pull. I have never seen one out here before. Only a couple of 306's and the red Craftsman version I picked up.

Never really timed how long I could cut with one...I usually need a break it seems before they run out. LOL
I always take at least 2 saws, sometimes 3 with me depending on what I'm into. Mainly so if I do something stupid, like pinch a saw, rarely happens...yea right. :dizzy: If one ran out of fuel, I would just grab the next man up, so to speak.

Back when I just had one saw...hard to believe, when it ran out, I would take a break, clean the air filter, refuel etc.
Mine always seem to run out, just before I was finished with what I was cutting. :mad: They all seem to use the fuel though. I am generally cutting fair sized wood, so takes fuel when bucking large logs for any length of time.

This was the first time I actually used my 245 for work. I dropped this Ash, 25" or so and started bucking. I stopped to rest and took couple pics. I was surprised that it hadn't run out of fuel yet, when I took this pic. I don't think I had it quite full either. Some days it seems your "gas mileage" is better than others..LOL

And of course after the cutting is done...it is important to refuel the operator too!!! :D

Gregg,

Yeah I'll usually sit down on the ground after every tank and give the chain a little touch up, three strokes for every cutter. I set my oil so it runs out right around the time I need to refuel.

Having a spare chainsaw sounds great. I've had some pinched bars in the past. Now I really concentrate on the kerf and bar tip. From hand splitting I usually get a lot of thin wedge like pieces. I use them for bucking wedges, seems to be working great so far.

Seems I'm getting about the standard run times. Did a search on the chainsaw forum which is what I should do all the time. Most of my questions have already been answered lol.

First pick looks like chainsaw heaven. That stuff sure looks a bit like sweetgum to me, another indication I have no idea how to ID trees.

Great looking 245. Great looking scenery.

A 245 is next on the list. I am quite impressed with my 306 and imagine those extra cc's really help pull. I have never seen one out here before. Only a couple of 306's and the red Craftsman version I picked up.

Yes, the 245 is high on the desirable "Old Poulan" list for sure! I never ran one back in the day, but I would guess it would have been the "cats azz" back then. Even without a anti-vibe feature like most modern saws. Seems a lot of folks use 20" bars on them. I use a 24" and seems about right to me. I ran one of our members 245 with a 28" at a GTG one time. It had no problem with that either.

Gregg,

Yeah I'll usually sit down on the ground after every tank and give the chain a little touch up, three strokes for every cutter. I set my oil so it runs out right around the time I need to refuel.

Having a spare chainsaw sounds great. I've had some pinched bars in the past. Now I really concentrate on the kerf and bar tip. From hand splitting I usually get a lot of thin wedge like pieces. I use them for bucking wedges, seems to be working great so far.

Seems I'm getting about the standard run times. Did a search on the chainsaw forum which is what I should do all the time. Most of my questions have already been answered lol.

First pick looks like chainsaw heaven. That stuff sure looks a bit like sweetgum to me, another indication I have no idea how to ID trees.

Well I generally use those plastic felling wedges for felling and bucking of larger trees. But every now and then I will get one pinched, not often. It is handy and usually a quick rescue to have another saw. ;)

I really don't know what sweetgum looks like. I don't think its a very common tree around here. North west Ohio. I always assumed it was more of a southern tree. We did have a lot of Ash before the dreaded EAB hit this area. Mostly Oak, both red & white, Hickorys, Maple, and others too, just not in great numbers.

Gregg,

Well I generally use those plastic felling wedges for felling and bucking of larger trees. But every now and then I will get one pinched, not often. It is handy and usually a quick rescue to have another saw. ;)

I really don't know what sweetgum looks like. I don't think its a very common tree around here. North west Ohio. I always assumed it was more of a southern tree. We did have a lot of Ash before the dreaded EAB hit this area. Mostly Oak, both red & white, Hickorys, Maple, and others too, just not in great numbers.

Gregg,

I need to stop being such a cheap ass and buy some plastic wedges. Did you read about the time I got my Homelite stuck up in a Magnolia tree? Had to cut it out with a handsaw. Must have looked pret-ty stupid up there.

I'm assuming what I have is sweetgum. Really light for its size. Couldn't hand split it to save my life. Ohio sounds like the state to live in if you burn wood.

image.jpg Here is my 2800 working...at work. We have a couple saws there, but I like to use my own. We are building a set of steps into a hillside from a parking lot up to an athletic field. I used the saw to cut 15 P/T 8"x8"x10' timbers to 72" and 2-24" from each 10 footer. Heavy ba$+!rds! The saw barely broke a sweat and ran great on a 15* day. Here's a shot of work done as of today. The top piece is the third step flipped verticalimage.jpg

I need to stop being such a cheap ass and buy some plastic wedges. Did you read about the time I got my Homelite stuck up in a Magnolia tree? Had to cut it out with a handsaw. Must have looked pret-ty stupid up there.

I'm assuming what I have is sweetgum. Really light for its size. Couldn't hand split it to save my life. Ohio sounds like the state to live in if you burn wood.

LOL, No I missed that story. Can't be any worse than what happened to me several years ago. And I am ashamed to admit it, and no, there are no pics. :oops: Was late in the day, was heading back to the house and call it a day. Passed this small dead Hickory, not more than 10"inches or so, kind of an odd lean to it. Thought I would make quick work of it to at least get it on the ground. Maybe 5 minute job.

Well, I got the saw pinched in it. Grabbed the second saw I had with me, PP380 I believe it was. Proceeded to get that saw stuck in the tree also. :mad: If that wasn't a sight to be proud of. Two saws sticking out of that little Hickory.
I managed to get the power head off the second saw. Went back up to the house and got a third saw..lol Finally got it down and my saws back. Better part of an hour wasted with that little adventure.

Gregg,

245A003-1.jpg

245A016.jpg

4000Ash015.jpg

Gregg,

I'm not a big believer that the cutting has to be done before the operator can be refueled.

LOL, No I missed that story. Can't be any worse than what happened to me several years ago. And I am ashamed to admit it, and no, there are no pics. :oops: Was late in the day, was heading back to the house and call it a day. Passed this small dead Hickory, not more than 10"inches or so, kind of an odd lean to it. Thought I would make quick work of it to at least get it on the ground. Maybe 5 minute job.

Well, I got the saw pinched in it. Grabbed the second saw I had with me, PP380 I believe it was. Proceeded to get that saw stuck in the tree also. :mad: If that wasn't a sight to be proud of. Two saws sticking out of that little Hickory.
I managed to get the power head off the second saw. Went back up to the house and got a third saw..lol Finally got it down and my saws back. Better part of an hour wasted with that little adventure.

Gregg,

Oh man, I think you've outdone my escapades lol. I would have loved to see those saws sticking out of the tree. You usually drive around with two saws in your car/truck? I may start doing that.

I have practically no experience with felling. For some reason I thought I would save some cash and take down a few trees in my former yard. Trees were probably 12" or less I think. Saw some movies where people made face cuts so I started with that. Tree leaned over into my yard, was against the back fence, neighbor's shed and pool fence was nearby, and most of the branches were over my yard. Face cut was probably totally jacked up. Had no idea you're supposed to leave a hinge so my back cut went right through the face cut. Must have done it at an angle too because the tree slid off the trunk and landed right on my Kmart steel toe boots. Not going to lie, I freaked out a bit seeing a tree sitting on my foot. I was able to slide my foot from under the trunk and apologized to the neighbor for felling a tree onto his brand new pool fence.

How long does a tank of fuel last for you guys doing smallish diameter bucking? I wish they made auxiliary fuel tanks for saws. Would be cool to attach a second fuel tank when all you're doing is bucking. Weight increase wouldn't be too much of a factor as it will be resting in/on a log. Anyway, just curious if I have the H setting too high.

Not nearly long enough in the big wood. I thought about auxiliary tanks a couple of weekends ago. We burned through 2-1/2 gallons of mix in four hours bucking and noodling a 32" DBH red oak with two 245s. Only one saw at a time. Seemed like we spent a lot of wasted time refueling & re-oiling, as we'd just get to going good and then the tank would run dry. It's a fact that bigger saws require big gas flow to make power & keep cool, but how'd you like to feed a 8500?

IMG_0337.JPG

Not nearly long enough in the big wood. I thought about auxiliary tanks a couple of weekends ago. We burned through 2-1/2 gallons of mix in four hours bucking and noodling a 32" DBH red oak with two 245s. Only one saw at a time. Seemed like we spent a lot of wasted time refueling & re-oiling, as we'd just get to going good and then the tank would run dry. It's a fact that bigger saws require big gas flow to make power & keep cool, but how'd you like to feed a 8500?

View attachment 388843

Yeah that's the way I feel with my Makita. Feel like right when I get into a rhythm I'll hear the saw start to run a bit lean because the tank is running low. That may be a good thing though as it forces me to stop and I usually touch up my chain after every tank. Plus fill up the bar oil tank. It's only a 64cc saw so didn't think it would go through mix so fast. I don't see how guys can use 80+ cc saws. I'd have to mix 5 gallon containers and carry that into the woods along with all the other necessary crap.

Latest posts

Back