Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO - Not ALL the mid and higher grades of gasoline are ethanol free . I was just saying that if it is ethanol free and marked as such it will be the higher grades.
hopefully you're not saying that all ethanol free gas is higher octane. that simply is not true. if you're not saying that; never mind

hopefully you're not saying that all ethanol free gas is higher octane. that simply is not true. if you're not saying that; never mind

I looked closer at the listings and there is ethanol free gas at 87 octane. I was only going from my experience at the couple places that I found it near me. - it was only available in 89 octane or higher. I should have looked at the list better before I posted. My posting is incorrect.

wondering if the oil pumps on the newer 3400s could be modded to mimic the adjustable pump or are they totally different critters?

I found a picture of the outside of non-adjustable oil pump but not the inside. I don't have a newer pump to look at. With out seeing the inside of the newer pump it makes answering rough. Look at the pictures that I posted of the adjustable pump on page 1757. The adjustable pump has a hole inside that takes the end of the screw and there is a threaded hole for the adjustment screw. If the newer pump is different inside and missing those holes they would have to be created. That seams like a bunch of precision work- drilling and tapping a hole and meeting the other just right. If I would try that I would call it broken pump in the end.

Looking at the outside pics the screw patterns looks the same. If you're lucky enough and have an adjustable pump handy and want to use it on a newer saw there has to be the hole on the bottom of the case for adjustment. I'm hearing the much older cases, even without the adjustable pump, had the hole and the newer do not. Making the hole in the newer case would not have to be that precise.

Without putting pumps or pics side by side this is only speculation. I don't want to be wrong twice in one day. :)

How do you bypass ethanol by using 89 octane? I thought they added ethanol to all the grades.

My understanding is 10% ethanol (max) is only used in regular grade gasoline here in Nova Scotia.

Simple home test for ethanol in gasoline.

Have a look at this video of how to easily test for the presence of ethanol in gas.
The guy in the vid uses a graduated cylinder but you can just add some water to a glass jar or bottle and mark the level of the water with a marker and then add gas, If the water level goes up, there is ethanol in the gas.

I don't want to be wrong twice in one day. :)

lol. Dude, that's why they made the Delete option! Go back and delete your post! Sure someone quoted your post but if you delete the original plus all your responses people will just skim over the replies.

wondering if the oil pumps on the newer 3400s could be modded to mimic the adjustable pump or are they totally different critters?
I've one of each on the bench. I can look and post side-by-sides. I don't know where I read it but I believe the adjustable were abandoned shortly into production as it was not entirely an effective design. It seems these are lower volume pumps by nature so maybe there wasn't really a need to moderate the output.

Other random observation.....

I've never used the adjustable one on any saws of mine. There were problems that I ran into when considering swapping to the adjustable pump. There were two styles of connectors used for the output on old versus new pumps. The adjustable one I have uses a pressed fitting to terminate the line. All of the fixed pumps I have use a threaded nipple and compression fitting. Tapping the pump inlet might be needed if old were swapped to new and you wanted to keep the compression fitting?

lol. Dude, that's why they made the Delete option! Go back and delete your post! Sure someone quoted your post but if you delete the original plus all your responses people will just skim over the replies.

Why delete? It would probably screw up the flow of posts. I don't mind being wrong once in a while with trivial things. If I am wrong and corrected or correct myself the facts tend to stick in the noggin better... It's the big things that I can't afford to be wrong with like when it may hurt me or someone else.

I've one of each on the bench. I can look and post side-by-sides. I don't know where I read it but I believe the adjustable were abandoned shortly into production as it was not entirely an effective design. It seems these are lower volume pumps by nature so maybe there wasn't really a need to moderate the output.

Other random observation.....

I've never used the adjustable one on any saws of mine. There were problems that I ran into when considering swapping to the adjustable pump. There were two styles of connectors used for the output on old versus new pumps. The adjustable one I have uses a pressed fitting to terminate the line. All of the fixed pumps I have use a threaded nipple and compression fitting. Tapping the pump inlet might be needed if old were swapped to new and you wanted to keep the compression fitting?

Yes- the outlet fitting on the old one is a white plastic press-on. I remember chatting about that in an email when I had to run a new outlet line and replace the diaphragm. The press-on fitting does not match the 3400 - 4000 service manual but the threaded one does.

Here are some pics (alot) comparing the two pumps. The only difference I can see is they simply drilled, tapped and set an 8-32 screw into the passage. I am not certain the direction of fluid flow but the passage design looks identical on both styles.

I tried to give some measurements to the outside of the tapped hole using the rear of the pump body and a contour line on the side of the pump body. The hole is exactly parallel with the cylindical part of the casting as seen from the photo of the rear of the pumps . It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to do with a drill press and the depth of the hole is 0.600". I imagine the worst that could happen is you misalign your hole. But, the pump looks like it could be reverted to a fixed style again by using a short threaded plug if necessary. With the adjustable oiler screw retracted the two pumps look functionally identical through the common passage.
Poulan 3400 Pump (4).JPG Poulan 3400 Pump (3).JPG Poulan 3400 Pump (8).JPG Poulan 3400 Pump (5).JPG Poulan 3400 Pump (6).JPG Poulan 3400 Pump (7).JPG

I threw in an extra pic of a saw I fired up while I waited for the battery to charge for the camera. Hope this might help someone.

Poulan 3400 Pump (1).JPG

Poulan bars bigger than 36", where there any bars produced by Poulan bigger than 36" for their big countervibe saws or sand cast saws? Did you have to go to another brand?

Here are some pics (alot) comparing the two pumps. The only difference I can see is they simply drilled, tapped and set an 8-32 screw into the passage. I am not certain the direction of fluid flow but the passage design looks identical on both styles.

I tried to give some measurements to the outside of the tapped hole using the rear of the pump body and a contour line on the side of the pump body. The hole is exactly parallel with the cylindical part of the casting as seen from the photo of the rear of the pumps . It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to do with a drill press and the depth of the hole is 0.600". I imagine the worst that could happen is you misalign your hole. But, the pump looks like it could be reverted to a fixed style again by using a short threaded plug if necessary. With the adjustable oiler screw retracted the two pumps look functionally identical through the common passage.
View attachment 397206 View attachment 397207 View attachment 397208 View attachment 397209 View attachment 397210 View attachment 397211

I threw in an extra pic of a saw I fired up while I waited for the battery to charge for the camera. Hope this might help someone.

View attachment 397212

Thanks for that effort and pics Hoggwood! Its a funny thing about adjustable oilers, all the saws I have with adjustable oilers, I have them turned all the way up. LOL Most of them, with the exception of the pp380, I usually have longer bars on them or used for milling. I guess I'm of the belief that more oil is better.

For me any way, it would be easier to just use the manual oiler button on my 3400/3700/4000, to get more oil on things, than trying to make it adjustable. I wish the models with adjustable oilers also had a manual oiler. :D

Thats a great looking Craftsman 3.6 you have there,by the way! Looks like new!

Gregg,

View attachment 397206 View attachment 397207 View attachment 397208 View attachment 397209 View attachment 397210 View attachment 397211

View attachment 397212

Thanks for that effort and pics Hoggwood! Its a funny thing about adjustable oilers, all the saws I have with adjustable oilers, I have them turned all the way up. LOL Most of them, with the exception of the pp380, I usually have longer bars on them or used for milling. I guess I'm of the belief that more oil is better.

For me any way, it would be easier to just use the manual oiler button on my 3400/3700/4000, to get more oil on things, than trying to make it adjustable. I wish the models with adjustable oilers also had a manual oiler. :D

Gregg,

Gregg,
How does adjusting the screw vary output? I've studied the previous and later photos and can only guess that the function of the screw is to decrease the volume of the chamber but that sounds to simple. anyone got any idea?

How does adjusting the screw vary output? I've studied the previous and later photos and can only guess that the function of the screw is to decrease the volume of the chamber but that sounds to simple. anyone got any idea?

Great question. Can't figure it out either but then again I can't figure out a lot of stuff when it comes to chainsaws. The pumps look identical except one has that mesh thing like my 375. I was thinking, since the mesh pumps are non-adjustable, does the screw somehow take its place? I'm assuming the mesh lets out air or something when the pump is activated so is the screw somehow letting out air/pressure? If I'm totally wrong this will be my last post for the day.

The screw looks like it acts similar to a shut off/gate valve. It travels down progressively blocking the passage and eventually seats itself. I see it as simply providing varying degrees of plugging the passage channel.

I just have the foam absent in one of the pumps. It is the same setup on both.

The screw looks like it acts similar to a shut off/gate valve. It travels down progressively blocking the passage and eventually seats itself. I see it as simply providing varying degrees of plugging the passage channel.

Damn it, I'm wrong again. What is the foam for anyway?

I had a 3400 with the adjustable oiler and found no more flow with it open all the way. The impulse driven pump is not the best setup but with the manual oiler you can always increase flow. As a habit I normally hit the manual oiler every couple seconds anyway.

Back